trying to change my signature - too big apparently

Guest rachbon

by default, the software used on these forums allows sigs of any size. These forums have always been anti-big sigs, but there was never a way to control their size. A while back a mod was made to the software, so that the size of sigs could be limited. When the recent upgrade was done, the mod didn't work so was disabled - but today it's been fixed and put back in place.

This all means that there's been times (including very recently) when people could create big sigs, but now they can't. When the mods come across people with big sigs either the sigs will be edited or the person contacted and asked to edit it themselves.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Have the signature settings been re-set again? I'm actually trying to make mine shorter but keep getting the 'Your signature is too long' message :P

Have the signature settings been re-set again? I'm actually trying to make mine shorter but keep getting the 'Your signature is too long' message :P

the sig restrictions have been put back in place (they weren't working for a while), but they're set as they always have been, with a limit of 7 or eight lines, and a maximum for an image of 10Kb, and a max size of 225x68 pixels.

the sig restrictions have been put back in place (they weren't working for a while), but they're set as they always have been, with a limit of 7 or eight lines, and a maximum for an image of 10Kb, and a max size of 225x68 pixels.

• 1 year later...
Ok so I'm trying to update & shorten my sig and as you can guess it is saying my sig is too long. I've had it down to 2 lines of wordings but that is still too long.

How many characters is the maximum as your quote of 7 or 8 lines is no longer accurate.

Many thanks

:P

The settings I've stated are still correct.

I'd guess that what's confusing you is you ignoring the forum code tags you've used in your sig (for the different coloured text, if nothing more) - those tags count as a part of the total number of characters, rather than it being only the output (what a person sees) of the sig that's counted.

The settings I've stated are still correct.

I'd guess that what's confusing you is you ignoring the forum code tags you've used in your sig (for the different coloured text, if nothing more) - those tags count as a part of the total number of characters, rather than it being only the output (what a person sees) of the sig that's counted.

I'm not ignoring them, I tried having the following with no HTML and it still wouldn't let me have it.

Bestival06/07/08/09-Buddhafields08-Croissant Neuf08-Download03/04/05/06-Fire Gathering 06/07/08/09-Glastonbury00/04/07/08/09/10-Hop Farm10-Infest99-Ozzfest98-Reading00/08/09/10Sunrise Celebration 09/10-Whitby99-WOMAD08

To me that looks like 3 lines & it is not being accepted? (Obviously I would've liked a few gaps in there too as it doesn't look to good all squished up :P )

Edited by mikeb

Erhm isn't the max line length 70/80 chars or thereabouts ? It looks very much to me that what you've quoted is 1 line of text something like 220 chars long !

Maybe try splitting it up into several definitely separate and much shorter lines like this:

Bestival 06/07/08/09 -:- Buddhafields 08 -:- Croissant Neuf 08

Download 03/04/05/06 -:- Fire Gathering 06/07/08/09

Glastonbury 00/04/07/08/09/10 -:- Hop Farm 10 -:- Infest 99 -:- Ozzfest 98

Reading 00/08/09/10 -:- Sunrise Celebration 09/10 -:- Whitby 99 -:- WOMAD 08

then perhaps try adding [ center ] and [ / center ] before and after the text (but without the spaces) to do exactly what it says on the (bl**dy American :P) tin so that it comes out like this:

Bestival 06/07/08/09 -:- Buddhafields 08 -:- Croissant Neuf 08

Download 03/04/05/06 -:- Fire Gathering 06/07/08/09

Glastonbury 00/04/07/08/09/10 -:- Hop Farm 10 -:- Infest 99 -:- Ozzfest 98

Reading 00/08/09/10 -:- Sunrise Celebration 09/10 -:- Whitby 99 -:- WOMAD 08

Haven't actually tried it as such but that really ought to work just fine as it seems to meet all the various requirements. Depending on exactly how the checks are made and what the max line length actually is, that looks like 6 lines max all of which are less than 80 chars to me. Might well need to make the last line a tad shorter of course if the limit is more like 70 chars as it's almost 80 chars at the mo. Note that adding "colour" tags makes each line way too long !!!

EDIT: Yup, tried it now and it defo seems to work just fine :P

Edited by mr_bizarre