Mens festival wellies crisis

Guest Sparrowpants

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit GCSEs are shit compared to A levels, so many people beat me cos I couldnt give a shit for GCSEs, them getting like 5 A*, yet I am the one predicted AAB at A level and them struggling to get DDD. And yeah I do biology. Plants are green because of chlorophyll ;)

Yeah, GCSEs are pretty useless and pointless generally. I did virtually no work for them, it did show, yet the difference between 5As at A-level and BCC is far greater than the difference between A* and As.

the whole problem with GCSEs and A levels is they no longer adequately determine the best students as so many are getting "A"s. the test should really be a peer group comparator, normalised year on year. it's not as it's politically expediant for the grades to increase each year. still, the govt. won't be happy until 100% of people get "A"s and go to university to get another meaningless degree, woo!

Haha.

Indeed, an A no longer requires both ability and hard work, or even necessarily a lot of one of them, just some of each. Though I consider my subjects some of the most meaningful.

the only difference between now and previous years is that teachers are getting better at teaching the subjects for the exams, rather than teaching the subject for the sake/desire of learning. therefore, more people are getting A's as they are better prepared for the exams. also with coursework and modules you do get more time to retake, do over etc, but you still have to understand the work, still have to be intelligent to get an A.

A levels were very hard. The most stressful time of my life so far. My friends at uni already have informed me that they haven't found their degree's as bad - although personally I won't have experience of this till later on in the year/next year. It wasn't so much AS, but A Level that was difficult.

I realistically should of got an A in English, but missed out by THREE MARKS!!!! Because I underperformed on a module that revolved around Arthur Miller. A playwright whose style and obsession with Manhattan vernacular got right under my skin.

Sociology I got a very high B also. I should actually have got a C judging by how hard I found the final (and largest) module. My mother was in hospital for a few weeks as well when we started that module, and I got hopelessly behind on it. There was about 8 questions they could possibly of asked (in any roundabout way), and I went with a gut and revised two thoroughly in-depth, and the rest very loosely. By god, when I opened up to see a question of gender inequalities in the workplace I nearly wooped with joy ;).

History was a weak point. I never realised how hard A level history was, and what a large step up it was from GCSE. The amount of dates, names, events I had to revise came down to nothing. As in the end, despite much practice I couldn't get the source paper technique right and screwed three of them up (AS and AS retake and A2). So despite doing well on the other three modues and coursework - I got a C.

I agree with the GCSE remark. Absolutely useless. Although they are good for boosting confidence and giving vital practice for A level and higher education examination.

Edited by Explosions_In_The_Sky

Those that say they are easy, yeah well I think I could get AAB easily otherwise, but the thing is because I do biology and law my exams are all situated in the same week. Therefore I dont get the opportunity to revise between exams and am told that A levels are easy. Well those that found it easy obviously had a very spread out timetable because 6 exams in 5 days, 2 being synoptic papers isnt what I call easy.

Those that say they are easy, yeah well I think I could get AAB easily otherwise, but the thing is because I do biology and law my exams are all situated in the same week. Therefore I dont get the opportunity to revise between exams and am told that A levels are easy. Well those that found it easy obviously had a very spread out timetable because 6 exams in 5 days, 2 being synoptic papers isnt what I call easy.

It does still take work, effort and intelligence to do well at A-level, but 3As used to be the sort of achievement that only the very elite got and was dominated mostly by people going to top universities. Nowadays As are nowhere near the achievement they were 20 years ago.

Well I have done an all nighter pretty much to learn my biology stuff, see I couldnt remember the colour of blood and pin point where on the body the heart is :ph34r: because it is so easy. But yeah I look forward to doing degree level. That is how cool I am lol

how the f**k did a thread about Wellies turn to a thread about exam results and their validity? ho hum. f**k it. Wellies are for girls only and I think they look stupid on girls anyway. Converse all the way, even in 2ft of mud.

• 3 weeks later...