Dream Line Ups for 2008

Guest Uncle Liam

He's looking down on you Paul, and you're 6"4.

You might "love" all these people living in a timewarp, but i particularly despise it and such music is stifling the growth of what is currently a very healthy music scene. This years IOW festival did absolutely nothing for honest, decent, new music, which is one of the reasons why i didnt go. All the upcoming bands were stuck in worthless slots while novelty acts such as Wolfmother were put in relatively high profile ones. I ,personally, find that disgraceful.

If you want Stadium, permed hair, drug fuelled, 20 million note solos, girl sounding pompous 'rock', well thats fine, but go back to the stadiums, or donnington park or wherever and let the rest of us enjoy modern, decent music in peace.

Incidentally, the banter between Paul and myself is based on a longstanding like towards electro music, and considering Paul has often said that the best live acts involve no guitars, no drums, just keyboards, backing tapes and video walls, he's probably apoligising for going back on his word. ;)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that when somebody says "I'm sorry" they are apologising!

The day I stop feeling emotions about things people say or write about things I love is the day they put me in the grave. You might be able to turn the other cheek when people slate what you like or love. I can not and look down on people who do not have the courage of their own convictions.

Ok. Explain how the likes of Donovan was going to entertain me. Its a silly old man with an acoustic guitar boring the arse of everybody. Same with Procul Harem last year. I always have and always will regard The Rolling Stones as a joke, and so should everyone who specifically payed money to watch them not even go through the motions with an insultingly short headline set last week.

I prefer music which doesnt date. The "straight forward rock" genre is more stale than last weeks tesco extra value bread. I also prefer watching bands who are still seeking to create new, innovating music, constantly developing their sound. Not recycling the same cliched nonsense that been in existence for the last forty years. Or playing the same set list featuring no new stuff.

Not that "old" music is bad. One of the best gigs I've ever seen was Numan last year on the Telekon tour. PLaying an album nearly 30 years old. Did it sound like the original album? Of course not. Its was Developed, and sounded as fresh as anything you are likely to hear. It was the same when I saw OMD do "Architecture and Morality" on saturday. And it'll be the same when The Human League do "Dare" later in the year. Bands like The Answer and Wolfmother sound old, dull and uninteresting, frankly.

As for your point about boooks from 1308. Why on earth would I want to read a book from 1308? I mean, its not exactly going to be relevant to anything. And when I was at uni, I was always told to do your upmost to get ones hands on the most up to date meterial.

As stuff becomes older, it generally become obsolete. Unless one, or it, re invents itself to keep itself fresh. Do you understand?

I don't agree. I think there many of examples of works that are far from obselete that date back not only decades but some even hundreds of years which have as much impact as on an individual as the day that they were first heard, performed or read. Classical literature that has survived eight hundred years has done so for one reason above all others - it's an example of the greatest and most appealing work ever written. The same applies to some older music. To discount it would be denying one soul access to great inspirational work because of some slavish dogma to what you have been taught at university - that modern work is paramount.

I actually feel sorry for you. You've denied yourself The Sistine Chapel, Exile on Maine Street, Dante's Inferno, Mohammed Ali and a Ferrari Dino because of that slavish dogma of which I refer.

What a complete joke

You just seem to want to live in the past and will therefore support old music, literature, art, sports and cars, or indeed anything you can think off. Is Modern Life really that rubbish that you refuse to accept anything modern? And you seem to be failing to differentiate between what was classical then and what is now irrelevant. Only two teams in History have gone through Englands top football league undefeated through a season. I'm willing to stake quite a large sum of money that in the unlilely event of the team ever playing, the Arsenal team of 2004 would easily triumph over the Preston North End team of 1888.

Frankly, if you cant accept modern developments in music and recognise modern acheivements, modern culture and modern soceity, then thats your problem.

Edited by sifimaster

Wolfmother are lots of things, original isnt one of them, neither is interesting, and their sound certainly isnt "great."

Liam, dearly missed though you were, you weren't there. Wolfmother were fab. They're maybe not original, but I wouldn't hold that against them. They were interesting and they sounded great to me and all the people I was singing and dancing with who were there. Maybe not your cup of tea but can't understand why your picking them out in particular?

I think Liam is just gutted that he wasnt there with us enjoying what was a magic festie.

;)

Au contaire.

I was quite happy at home enjoying my protest. I have got a busy summer as per (which is hopefully going to get busier) and was quite happy at missing the shambles that was the line up at the IOW in favour of Gabrielles Wish and Puressence. I was missed but I had to make my point. And i'll probably be back next year.

My point with Wolfmother is that simply, they are up there with the D*rkness in terms of shambles. Boring, cliched rawk music. Boring!

Liam you really must stop upsetting people. Even if you had come to IoW this year and enjoyed yourself, you'd still be at your antagonistic best. For the record I think I was pretty much asleep during Wolfmother.

I love music, over the years it's been a constant companion in the happy times and the sad times, and songs that mean a lot to me are the same as prose or poetry that means a lot to me, something I can take inspiration from, something that can provide a soundtrack to my life ; be that music that family has been put to rest to or music that has marked my wedding day, graduation or whatever it might be. I'm sure this applies to most if not all the boarders on this site.

That being established, to have people disregard it because it's not to their taste as being unworthy or second rate is not something I would - or even could - ever let go. I would consider that as great a sin as having someone bad mouth someone who was close to me by making a stereotype about them - clearly without standing the basic motivation or having explored in any depth the area which they are disparaging. To an extent this passion is akin to a matter of honour. To stand by and allow people to say things like it's living in a 'timewarp' and 'stiffling' when there is a growing scene out there of new bands playing music that I love then, which I'm enjoying and many others do smacks of a lack of conviction against what is essentially musical fascism and that is something I will stand against forever more.

I find enjoyment in most kinds of music, and don't limit myself to what I consider fashionable or even current or new. I wouldn't discount a film made in 1970 because it was made in 1970, and the same applies to music. I wouldn't discount a book written in 1308 because it was written in 1308 and in archiac language. To me that's disregarding culture, and to do that limits my experience and understanding.

I would also have liked to have seen The Sunshine Underground, Cherry Ghost, I Am Kloot, Sparks, Pet Shop Boys, The Whip, and quite a few others to have played. Not the MOR shite and pensionable age rubbish that was put on this year.

+1.......

I don't share the same musical taste as you Sifi but diversity of taste is what makes music so fantastic.

I hate Take That but if someone gets the same buzz from their music / gigs that I get from Muse, Sufjan Stevens, Eels or even Rachmaninov then thier opinion is just as valid as any that I have to offer.

Me too Liam,

but the "shiteness" of an act is just one persons opinion against another. I would have like to have seen Reverend & the Makers, The Enemy, The Twang, New Young Pony Club, The Macabees, Undercut, etc.

That is why I'm thinking of Glastonbury next year and I guess why you stayed away this year, although I think you made a mistake because you missed a good experience despite the commercial lineup.

Ming,

There was enough on at Glasto to keep me occupied for 3 days. The headliners werent to my taste, but there you go. The reason I didnt go to Glasto is that i wanted to save my holidays for Summercase and the Interpol/Arcade Fire away trip i'm planning later in the year...

I saw a few bands at Glasto that I'd never heard of who would be fab for the IoW. The Deadbeats would be great for an afternoon slot ( good fun, dancy guitar based stuff). But most of all get Dreadzone along..BRILLIANT stuff.

Edited by greenfairy43

I saw a few bands at Glasto that I'd never heard of who would be fab for the IoW. The Deadbeats would be great for an afternoon slot ( good fun, dancy guitar based stuff). But most of all get Dreadzone along..BRILLIANT stuff.