Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh I remember this thread well <_<

just been up in the loft sorting out camping stuff and checking it all.., flag is still in one piece after 8 festivals last year.. so will be returning to Pennards this year :lol:

But we do need a red triangle flag too.. I was thinking of just a plain red flag, cut into a triangle of course :)

Ahh I remember this thread well <_<

just been up in the loft sorting out camping stuff and checking it all.., flag is still in one piece after 8 festivals last year.. so will be returning to Pennards this year :lol:

But we do need a red triangle flag too.. I was thinking of just a plain red flag, cut into a triangle of course :)

But we do need a red triangle flag too.. I was thinking of just a plain red flag, cut into a triangle of course <_<

This is what i was thinking of...

2008flag03ie1.jpg

I'm in charge of the flag for our crew this year and I'm a flag virgin :lol: This thread has made me very excited but very nervous!

I am compiling a shopping list from the skyblue place and this is what I have so far:

Pole (I'm thinking 5 metres, I want our flag to be visible above the tents but not ridiculously high as we're only a wee bunch of girls - what are your expert opinions?)

White flag (probably the bigger one)

3 ground spikes

Bungees

Fabric paint

Can anyone suggest or recommend anything else? I'm basically looking for some reassurance that I'm not going to end up skewering someone when my pole goes awry or anything <_<

Looks like I haven't got around to taking these off my server yet so they're still available:

http://www.halvin.co.uk/junk/ef.pdf (232KB)

http://www.halvin.co.uk/junk/ef.png

Very nice! I'd stretch the bottom rectangle so it's the same width as the red triangle and I'd increase the spacing between characters (like here), but I'm just being picky.

Well..... Last year I had a 9 meter pole and it was the longest in the campsite... But It peft me feeling a bit down cos I know I could have had a 10 meter monster and not extended the final sections if I wanted it shorter. Anyway, that one got nicked at solfest last year, so this Glastonbury I shall be getting a 10 meter pole and mounting several flags on it.

G

Well..... Last year I had a 9 meter pole and it was the longest in the campsite... But It peft me feeling a bit down cos I know I could have had a 10 meter monster and not extended the final sections if I wanted it shorter. Anyway, that one got nicked at solfest last year, so this Glastonbury I shall be getting a 10 meter pole and mounting several flags on it.

G

Off the top of my head: take some tape to stick around the pole joints to stop the pole collapsing. Take some string, a few tent pegs and a zip-tie to use as a guy-line if it gets windy.

Last year I took a bit of PVC pipe to put over the pole and attach the flag to -- this allows it to rotate freely. Use a couple of zip-ties to hold the pipe in place. Thank you to whoever suggested it (somewhere in this thread), it worked very well.

5 metres is probably a good size. You won't be able to use the top metre of the pole as it's too thin, which means that the bottom of the flag will be about 3m off the ground and just above the top of the tallest tents.

Thanks, sorry to be a total goon but what is a zip-tie?... :blink: I'll leave now shall i!

Thanks, sorry to be a total goon but what is a zip-tie?... :blink: I'll leave now shall i!
Edited by Harrow Strongbow Ciderman!

Looking at getting a refreshed flag for Camp funk this year....washed and the crappy Tshirt transfers peeled..

Whats your experiences on paint...and does it wash ok???