Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will any of these flags be flying in family camping area?

If someone sends me a high-ish resolution (say 600x800) copy of the eFestivals dude, I can chop it up into a pdf suitable for the 5'x3' flags. My email address is hal at halvin dot co dot uk (replacing 'at' -> @ and 'dot' -> .). I think 2 x 4 A4 sheets would do the trick.

Question: Do the ground spikes really mean you don't need any other form of support? I have always lashed the Horse flagpole to a fence upright in the past. But it would be easier and more flexible positioning wise if I didn't have to do that. I just can't believe that spikes alone would suffice. Thinking of also adding a bit more height maybe up to 10M this year- but only if I can be quite sure that the thing won't blow/ fall down. Also thinking of adding one of those wind spinners and (of course) some lighting... presumably this will add to the wind-drag....

I've got these - they're basically pieces of flex with a big plastic ball on. You slide the band through the eyelit, round the pole, and slide it over the plastic ball (if that makes any sense at all!). I'll post a pic later if you like - they're really good actually, you just have to work out how best to tie them to keep the flag where you want it!

As promised, one large eFestivals logo: http://www.halvin.co.uk/junk/ef.pdf (232KB). It's my best guess trace from the largest logo I could find, a 400 x 357px gif.

To put it together:

- Cut along the dotted lines

- Tape the sheets together, starting with page 1 (top left) under 2 (top center), then page 3 (top right), page 4 (middle left) and so on.

Top tip: I found when I was colouring my flag I needed two sizes of marker - a thin one for the edges and a fat one for filling, like this and this. Don't forget to put something under the flag when you're colouring - the ink goes straight through!

If anyone wants the 4500 x 5775px image I created, it's here http://www.halvin.co.uk/junk/ef.png

I've got the spikes and to be honest, while they held my three-metre pole it well enough, I'm still after advice about guy ropes because I'm not sure how good they would be alone should the wind get up... Especially with the new five-metre beast - not convinced they'll do the job should it get really blowy!

I've got these - they're basically pieces of flex with a big plastic ball on. You slide the band through the eyelit, round the pole, and slide it over the plastic ball (if that makes any sense at all!). I'll post a pic later if you like - they're really good actually, you just have to work out how best to tie them to keep the flag where you want it!

My pleasure. No need for a pint, I'd just be interested to know how it turns out. :D

By the way, if you're planning on colouring it a solid colour (which I reckon would look better), you'll probably need two or three markers. They run out very quickly when the material's sucking the ink out!

As I've never had a flag/windsock at a festie before, can someone help me? We want to get this http://www.skyblueleisure.co.uk/acatalog/Gnome_Windsock.html (I hope that works as a link!)

What height pole would you recommend, and what would I need to secure it with? Would just the spikes be ok? As I've said, I've never had a flag before, so excuse the daft questions!

I was thinking about using paint but chickened out. cosmia: Is there any problem getting the paint to stick to the polyester flag material? What type did you use? Dylon?

I've got a spare blank flag and I may try paint on it. I'm thinking text only: "Fresh Albatross. £2 each / 3 for a fiver."

Edited by halvin