Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

Flag material question..?

noramly use ripstop nylon, but thinking of simple cotton. due to using iron on transfer paper...as I don't think it wil stick to synthetic material, such as nylon polyester.

Due you have experience of said material,(cotton) and how does it perform, dry when wet etc, how does it fly? .....or would silk be better?

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flag material question..?

noramly use ripstop nylon, but thinking of simple cotton. due to using iron on transfer paper...as I don't think it wil stick to synthetic material, such as nylon polyester.

Due you have experience of said material,(cotton) and how does it perform, dry when wet etc, how does it fly? .....or would silk be better?

Would imagine mine'll be here early next week. Have our design, done by an artist of martin jol smoking a big fat one with the Spurs cockerel in the background. Just have to work out a way to transfer said design from a4 size up to huge scale and onto flag, with no artistic ability whatsoever, then testing will begin on the downs. Put my tent up there on Sunday to make sure it hasnt rotted away since last summer, got some very strange looks from passers-by and sunbathers!

I had to do much the same tonight. Photoshop is a God send! Work out how many A4 sheets you want the image to spread across (put them on the flag) - open up the image - 'Select' - 'All' - 'Transform selection' and do it by percentages... Then print by fitting the image to the page.

I realise that probably makes no sense to anyone but it worked for me! :P

Not entirely sure I follow, but then I'm not a regular photoshop user. Are you saying you can increase the size of the image to the size of the flag, then print it in individual a4 pages? Please clarify for a luddite!
Edited by pogal

Pole has arrived! All four metres of it. However, on unpacking it, the thinnest section became lodged firmly inside the second longest section and won't come out. Several minutes of shaking, banging, head-scratching followed before I then managed to also lodge a pencil in there with the section of pole and gave up.

Here's my camp's flag from 2005 (being tested on Southsea common), which was altered slightly during the event to include an additional Welsh flag and a windsock too.

Slightly bored of it though - may try to apply a cheese related picture to the blue/white flag...

flag5lz.jpg

Ahhh, flag building time . . .

I wasn't going to this year, but my mates have insisted.

Usually have a nylon flag at the campsite with a led at the top of a fishing rod type pole (we took the flag too high in 2005 & it all went horribly wrong)

Gonna try & keep to a modest height this year.

Also make a flag to take about the site with us - Really useful for finding your way back to a base at the back of the crowds - We usually find that other people use it as a landmark too, so it kind of helps others too. Also, if you have a cool design its a great way to get conversations going :P

(NOT FOR THE FRONT OF THE STAGES :P )

Pole has arrived! All four metres of it. However, on unpacking it, the thinnest section became lodged firmly inside the second longest section and won't come out. Several minutes of shaking, banging, head-scratching followed before I then managed to also lodge a pencil in there with the section of pole and gave up.
Edited by pogal

Umm, at the risk of saying "mine's bigger than yours"...

Mine's bigger than yours.

Forget your telescopic fishing poles. The really easy way to get a really massive erection :P is to use tent poles - ya know, the twelve-in-a-set, each about-a-metre-long, threaded-together-by-a-long-bit-of-elastic that goes across the top of your tent...

Perhaps a £10er for the set, a trio of guy-ropes, and you're set to go. 8 metres high, 10 metres high, 12 metres - no problemo. Flexible, lightweight and the sections where they snap together make it very easy to attach guy-ropes, flags, lights, etc...

If only I had a piccie from previous years :P