Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see on the site they have 3 metre telescopic poles from £3.95. What else would you need other than the pole to hold a flag up? If its as cheap as that and only requires guy ropes and pegs, I'll be going for that method this year. Already have an artist working on our design!

This is where I'll be getting mine from.

http://www.skyblueleisure.co.uk/

Used them in '05, some git nicked it on Monday morning though :O

Hi,

One of my first posts but I have been lurking for many years for various glasto tips. This year I have been given the responsibility of arranging our flag as friends who have arranged it for previous glasto's are unable to go this year. Previously we have used a radio aerial mast 7m+ but had to be hastily taken down from pennard hill during the lightning storm of 2005. It is now in need of repair and a new pole.

The telescopic poles and stakes on skyblueleisure look fantastic and a similar set up to how the flag has been erected in previous years. However with the radio aerial mast we have used guy ropes to give a bit more additional strength. Are these necessary with a telescopic pole of 6-7m? Has anyone tried using guy ropes with the telescopic poles? My main concern is that if you use guy ropes with a telescopic pole is there a danger of the pole not remaining taut and collapsing?

Many thanks,

Tim

Thanks to everyone's help and advice, particularly Tilt and thazlewood (cheers guys!), we now have the bare bones of our 5m, 2 flag, windsocked beast in the pipeline. It'll be useful for us on the first day too - we're coming from all over the country to decend on base camp so a nice big flag set up will sort us out.

Bear in mind that fishing poles are really thin at the top end - you'll need to remove the top two or three sections to prevent it from just flopping over under the weight of the flag.

I use a landing net pole, which is a bit shorter than a fishing pole but much sturdier. This is fixed over the top of an alluminium washing line pole, the bottom section of which is hammered into the ground and secured with three guy ropes, and the flag is attached to a length of wooden dowl which fits into the thread at the top of the landing net pole. Total height is about 18 feet, which is plenty.

Edited by Cheesey

Are these necessary with a telescopic pole of 6-7m? Has anyone tried using guy ropes with the telescopic poles? My main concern is that if you use guy ropes with a telescopic pole is there a danger of the pole not remaining taut and collapsing?

Many thanks,

Tim

Actually the stake is quite loose in the pole, the stake is maybe 1cm wide (rough guess from memory) and the bottom section of the pole is probably 1.5 inches or so.

Not too sure how it stayed on, but it did!

Hang on and I'll try and dig out a photo :O

Actually the stake is quite loose in the pole, the stake is maybe 1cm wide (rough guess from memory) and the bottom section of the pole is probably 1.5 inches or so.

Not too sure how it stayed on, but it did!

Hang on and I'll try and dig out a photo :O

Sorry to keep pestering with questions, but with a pole design do you need the flag itself to be pretty light in order for it to fly. We've always gone with a banner stretched between two poles, but you've convinced me that the pole gives you greater height, is cheaper and more effective.

We had great fun in 05 moving flags around the site, people get really confused when the stupid flag they have disappears from say Pennards only to be flying proudly above somebody’s else’s tent in kidney mead :OB)

We had great fun in 05 moving flags around the site, people get really confused when the stupid flag they have disappears from say Pennards only to be flying proudly above somebody’s else’s tent in kidney mead :O:D