Bird Flu

Guest kloot

They won't close the countryside because of it - a little more difficult to contain what with the little blighters being able to fly! The only thing that will cause disruption is if it crosses to human to human contact and public events will be limited - the likleyhood of that depends on what newspaper you read and what else might be in the news at the time!

I don't know anything about bird flu, but there must be someone who does.

So, could this threaten this year's festival and have the countryside 'closed' like 2001 and foot and mouth disease?

I know it is a dairy farm and so on, but is there any risk of this?

• 2 years later...

I thought this year's 'popular pandemic paranoia' was for Swine Flu...

obviously not watching the same BBC news me!

well WHO have apparently declared swine flu a pandemic and there seems to be no move for cancellation so looks like we're still good to go.

This seems fair enough though because their only declaring it a pandemic because 12 people in japan have been confirmed (god forbid! not 12 whole people!!)

haha yay for biannual pandemic related panicking!

At least pigs can't fly...

I swear to the God I don't believe in that I intended no pun there!!

2011 better be a good one - I'm talking this sort of stuff /index.php?showtopic=123543">PANIIIICCC!!!!

If the national 'flu plan is anything like the London one (which, TBH, it should be), then the following paragraph is of note:

Public gatherings

3.34 Large public gatherings or crowded events here people may be in close proximity are an important indicator of ‘normality’ and can help maintain public morale during a pandemic. Whilst close contact with others – especially in a crowded confined space – accelerates the spread of an influenza virus, there is little direct evidence of the benefits or effects of cancelling such gatherings or events. Individuals may

benefit from reduced exposure by not attending such events, but there would be very little benefit to the overall community. Reduction in travel to such events may also reduce spread, although the benefits of even major reductions in all travel are

small.

Heh well spotted Greendotz! :)

I hope it all turns out okay this year, I'm really looking forward to seeing Fluport Convention, Franz Fludinand and Echo and the Swinemen! Deadmau5 I will be staying well away from, could be diseased!

;)

Edit: nice bump too, sjhopewell!

Edited by Sam Crawley

Well...maybe this weekend may be a bit of a clincher and wait and see...Scotland is supposed to have the highest proportion of people falling ill...its Rockness...I'm saying nothing more than that...

ok...other than slap me now! ;):)

• 11 years later...