Glastonbury Coverage Archive

Guest Pinhead

In co-operation with a mate of mine, I am embarking upon a project to encode all the older VHS coverage we have both cumulatively amassed since 1995 (when we first started videoing the stuff), to DVD.

I have so far located 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2003 and am expecting to find 1999, 2000, 2002 fairly soon.

I will probably be using an ADS DVD Xpress DX2 external USB2 hardware encoder to achieve this (anyone have any experiences of using this).

Not intending to edit any of it (too time consuming considering the volume of coverage), and since the sound quality varies on the earliest tapes, now 11 years old, the repeats of some coverage is not a bad idea. In any case, I'll chapter it frequently so skipping blocks of it should be easy.

When (or if), I complete all the encoding successfully, I should be in a position to offer DVD copies to people who are interested on here.

I have basically decided to do this since the VHS tapes only have a limited lifespan and I am going to loose all this coverage soon unless I transfer it to a more modern and portable medium.

Has anyone undertaken this before with the older coverage?

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

PS. Watched some of the 1995 coverage last night (Channel 4 with Radcliffe and Lamarr) - haven't seen it since that year. Oasis, Supergrass, Sleeper, Black Crows - the Wind Generator, post-Pyramid fire temporary Main Stage, only a 600 acre site, pre-Lost Vagueness, ludicrously hot and sunny - ahh, takes me back . . . .

Cheers Tommy. Will probably attempt to try it myself first (as if I'm successful I can apply the same procedure to a whole load of other VHS stuff I'd like to commit to DVD as well now). Also, many of the tapes are not mine to send around. If i'm unsuccessful however, I may well get back to you :lol:

Hi,

I would love to get copies of the lot on DVD and would happily send you enough money to cover costs and get a few beers. Nearly every year I have been, which is since 98 bar 2005 :lol: , people have claimed to have seen me on the telly at glasto. I do remember a particular time someone was filming me sitting with a giant seagull having a smoke and a chat. I doubt I have been on the telly though but it would be great to watch the past footage, re-live fond memories and maybe see myself too.

It would be a buzz :)

Anyhow, would love it if you could see your way to sending me copies once you have sorted them out.

Cheers,

John

Oh yes! sound like a worth while project :lol: can't wait to see the results...

Sounds like a good idea for a website too. If it was torrent-based rather than direct downloads it would be easy to host and if you're only offering Glasto coverage I can't see the feds trying to shut you down.... Hell, I'd take the risk :lol:

I assure you that if this stuff was put on a website, Glasto &/or the BBC &/or the publishing rights holders would take whatever action was necessary to get it shut down and removed.

All the broadcast materials is copyright of someone, and only they and their licencees have the rights to reproduce it or broadcast it.

PS. Watched some of the 1995 coverage last night (Channel 4 with Radcliffe and Lamarr) - haven't seen it since that year. Oasis, Supergrass, Sleeper, Black Crows - the Wind Generator, post-Pyramid fire temporary Main Stage, only a 600 acre site, pre-Lost Vagueness, ludicrously hot and sunny - ahh, takes me back . . . .

This sounds like a wicked idea, I gave up on trying to set the video to record a long time ago!

Were Mark and Lard hosting the '94 coverage? I may have some of that on video somewhere. I remember reading ME wasn't too impressed with their hosting, but I thought it was graet....I miss Mark and Lard!

I just moved house and among the chaos I found 4 VHS tapes which I think have the entire 1994 Channel 4 coverage on them which a relative kindly taped for me!

Whether they actually do or not I'm not sure coz i don't have a VHS player anymore - but when I find out, i'll let you know...

Yeah, would be good to see 1994 again (my first year, but did'nt record this one).

Aware of the copyright issues, so certainly won't be posting I'm afraid - will probably do it on an individual basis. As a license payer, I should technically part own the copyright with every other license fee payer anyway surely :lol: - wouldn't count for the CH4 footage though.

Have checked some of the 1997, 1998 coverage now - all in good nick thankfully. Woah - it looks wet!

Yeah, would be good to see 1994 again (my first year, but did'nt record this one).

Aware of the copyright issues, so certainly won't be posting I'm afraid - will probably do it on an individual basis. As a license payer, I should technically part own the copyright with every other license fee payer anyway surely :lol: - wouldn't count for the CH4 footage though.

Have checked some of the 1997, 1998 coverage now - all in good nick thankfully. Woah - it looks wet!

I assure you that if this stuff was put on a website, Glasto &/or the BBC &/or the publishing rights holders would take whatever action was necessary to get it shut down and removed.

All the broadcast materials is copyright of someone, and only they and their licencees have the rights to reproduce it or broadcast it.

Edited by Cheesey

• 2 weeks later...

"If this stuff is passed around on DVDs, it will inevitably end up on the usual file sharing networks and Bittorrent trackers. There's no need to create a dedicated website."

- Yes, you are probably right - if its not already there even.

Once I have got started, the '94 (and perhaps earlier coverage), would be good to have since that was me first year!

• 4 weeks later...