Svengalifest

Guest Ringo_Spar

This has come to my attention due to the fact that Alabama 3 (full band) are supposedly playing, along with Levellers and Echo & The Bunnymen amongst others.

Can't find anything about it on t'web, wondering if anybody knows anything?

Windsor Racecourse, Saturday August 12th 2006, gates 11am

VIP tickets £100, general admission £60

Would be interested to know if any of the efest crew has picked this up on their radar, has it got a licence, who are the promoters and are they reliable?

To me it looks a bit ambitious especially when, with less than two months to go there seems to be very little widespread publicity.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.svengalifest.com although it looks maybe a bit out of date and also the tickets page implies £45 rather than £60(ish) at Agencies :blink:

Svengali music Festival 2006 - Windsor Race Cource // Bands playing include: hayseed dixie, lorraine, clay hill, jah wobble, lloyd cole, the levellers and alabama 3. Acts on the marshall stage include sub due, epeestriday, loki, self esteem, hello geiger, go kart mozart, raising sand, syrus, june, unkle bob, south and don letts DJ SET.
Edited by mikeb

This has now been added to the tour dates on both the Levellers and Alabama 3 official websites, though not the Bunnymen's - who are conspicuously missing from the line-up on the recently updated svengalifest.com.

Ticketweb are now selling "General Admission" tickets at £45 (with all the rip-offs they come out at £50.25).

Let us know the outcome Flounder.

I'm looking forward to seeing Alabama3 (unplugged) at the Wickham Festival in Hampshire on August 6 and Hayseed Dixie at FlounderFest (a.k.a. Endorse-it-in-Dorset) the following weekend... especially now the two competing 'Common Ground' Festivals around the Southampton area that weekend have both been cancelled.

This Svegalifest looks very strange - the fact ticket prices have suddenly dropped suggests someone started out not quite knowing what they were doing... but £50+ inc. booking fee for just a day is still too much!

If you want to go to a Festival on a racecourse go to Wychwood next year... much better value.

Wooeee

It still sounds pricey to a little girlie like me especially when I have wonderful Wickham the previous weekend and Beautiful Days the weekend after.

It's not just the £45 general admission or £100 VIP (And I AM A VIP so why do I have to pay £55 extra to prove it?).

It's also the travel and all the other costs of enjoying a festie.

Sorry but I'll have to miss this one.

Which at least means the beer won't run out when I'm not there to drink it.

This has come to my attention due to the fact that Alabama 3 (full band) are supposedly playing, along with Levellers and Echo & The Bunnymen amongst others.

Can't find anything about it on t'web, wondering if anybody knows anything?

Windsor Racecourse, Saturday August 12th 2006, gates 11am

VIP tickets £100, general admission £60

Would be interested to know if any of the efest crew has picked this up on their radar, has it got a licence, who are the promoters and are they reliable?

To me it looks a bit ambitious especially when, with less than two months to go there seems to be very little widespread publicity.

Svengali are a local mob who've been running gigs around Windsor for while - they've had Alabama 3 before, they do weekly nights and run a record/memorobilia shop. Windsor isn't too far away - you are!

they've not put on something this size before, but from what I've heard from reliable sources they're not doing it all from scratch (eg got proper management rather than trying to figure it all out themselves), and all the relevant local authority types are happy with their organisation ...

I was a bit suprised when I saw what they were up to this time (we run events the other side of the river in Slough, and they sell tickets for us in their shop), but fair play to them, if having a go isn't what rock and roll is all about, I don't know what is. Whatever they are, they're not Clear Channel, but are always putting on events for local bands to play at - you can speculate whichever way you like about what they're motives are, but there's a lot easier ways to make an easy living

can't be there myself as we were already going to Endorset, but would certainly be there otherwise. Best line-up in Windsor since the old free festival ...

dunno about the VIP bit though. Windsor, innit ...

Edited by guilfin

• 3 weeks later...

I read an article in the local paper (windsor where it was being held) 3 weeks ago which said that the racecourse only had a lisence which let on 2 performers on the stage at a time...this was 3 weeks ago.

I have also heard rumors that the security chosen for the event pulled out at last minute.

All in all i'm suprised it has taken this long to cancel the event. people locally who know the guy running it will know he promises the earth, never delivers and constantly screws people over...unlucky if you paid for tickets...I'd be suprised if you get your money back.

also this security thing looks like a blind...reading on the lloyd cole weblog dated the 3rd of August he states that contractual obligations had not been met.....ie not paid I would think...so it sounds to me like the wheels had been coming off for sometime...especially with what rock on posted....sounds like the svengali behind the 'fest' is a bit of a cheat from what he suggests...promioses everything...delivers nothing...hope people get paid back.....if not they should post something on here to warn others in case of future 'non events'...

also this security thing looks like a blind...reading on the lloyd cole weblog dated the 3rd of August he states that contractual obligations had not been met.....ie not paid I would think...so it sounds to me like the wheels had been coming off for sometime...especially with what rock on posted....sounds like the svengali behind the 'fest' is a bit of a cheat from what he suggests...promioses everything...delivers nothing...hope people get paid back.....if not they should post something on here to warn others in case of future 'non events'...

I'm not from Windsor...but i'm sure this info will help others...I was just suspicious about this event from the very start...none of it added up properly. Also he has not bothered to explain himself which suggests he is lying about the reasons. Just hope he doesn't try and do anything else and people should be warned about this bar you talk about if he is a cheat.thanks for the info rock on. Have a great summer of well organised events.

I completely agree - I imagine people will be having difficulty, if so, let people know...btw he runs an evening at the Scotch Bar in windsor on a thursday I think it is...hes the guy the guy with dark glasses, smells a little and has crazy hair...looks exactly like the picture on the svengali poster. maybe he'll give you the money personally :blink: ...I wish you all luck