Books

Guest chappiepunk

currently reading - smashed: growing up a drunk girl by koren zailckas

last read - flanimals by ricky gervais - yes pictures count too ;)

fav author- ian rankin

fav book - the exes (cant remember author as lent it to a friend a year ago who hasnt given it back) but american author writing about a grunge band

cant read - anything financial :(

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading - A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson

Last read - The Beach - Alex Garland

Favourite Books -

The Wrong Boy - Willy Russel

Around Ireland with a fridge - Tony Hawks

All brilliant books

was currently reading until it disappeared, Dr Bloodmoney by P.K. Dick

last read: jennifer government by Max Barry (v. funny book)

recently read:

the men who stare at goats by jon ronson (scary stuff if it's all true)

the penultimate truth by p.k. dick

the man in the high castle by p.k. dick

after the empire by emanuelle todd (brilliant read!)

currently reading - are you dave gorman?

last read - googlewhack adventure

prefer googlewhack, but both are hilarious, and have me laughing out loud in public...........i think i want his babies

fave author is probably mike gayle or marian keyes, i like an easy read :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What book are you currently reading? Stephen King; Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah

(Also half reading Huxley's Doors of Perception and about to start Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything....I like to have a variation!)

Last book read? Stephen King; Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla

Favourite authors? Stephen King, Irvine Welsh, John Milton, I used to love James Herbert but not so much in recent years, Clive Barker from time to time, and, although I've only read Life of Pi by him, it impressed me that much that Yann Martel makes the grade :(

Favourite book? Far too difficult, it changes with my moods!

Cant read? Mills and Boon or almost anything aimed specifically at women. Absolute tripe!

• 6 months later...

I keep revisiting books I read a while ago - Toby Litt - beatniks, which always makes me feel really sad for some reason, a couple of Richard Morgan ones that I read a while back, after reading this one...

Market Forces - A lot less sci-fi than his first two, a scary but brilliant vision of the future in which executives run each other off the road in competition for jobs, the cities have become ghettos and war is seen as a valid business investment. Clever book, and great main character, as ever.

And just finished reading Angela Carter's Wise Children which is just brilliant; funny, entertaining, absolutely fantastic characters and a completely warped ending, as per usual. Definitely recommended (just don't try and teach it to 16-17 year olds :lol: )

I really wish I read more. I still haven't finished the Bad Thoughts book I mentioned earlier in the thread. I managed to finish Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jnr over the summer (only took me a year and a half to finish :lol:). I still need to read On Liberty by J.S. Mill, re-read Meditations by Descartes, re-read certain sections of Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton and finish The Great Philosophers by Bryan Magee. There's probably a load of other books I've forgotten as well.

I managed to finish Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jnr over the summer (only took me a year and a half to finish :lol:).

I just read 'Oryx and Crake' by Mararet Atwood, that was a great book, highly recommended. And 'There are Gods in Alabama' by Joshilyn Jackson too, that was good.

One of my favorite authors is Toni Morrison, if anyone fancies an amazing, but harrowing ( I wont lie!) read then try 'Beloved'

I just read 'Oryx and Crake' by Mararet Atwood, that was a great book, highly recommended. And 'There are Gods in Alabama' by Joshilyn Jackson too, that was good.

One of my favorite authors is Toni Morrison, if anyone fancies an amazing, but harrowing ( I wont lie!) read then try 'Beloved'

I've just finished reading 'Demons and Angels' (or was it Angels and Demons, meh) by Dan Brown. What a cracking read, even better than the Da Vinci Code in my opinion. I've got the other two books of his to read now, I'm hoping they will be as good! :lol: