Books

Guest chappiepunk

I'm re-reading A short walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby, I love this book and giggle my way all through it. I seem to re-read it every 5 or 6 years and still enjoy it. It also makes me really sad that some of the places he visited are now closed or simply don't exist due to the changes in that general area over the last 50 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What book are you currently reading? The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Last book read? Bob Geldofs autobiography

Favourite author? JRR Tolkien simply for the hobbit which is one of the best books ever

Favourite book? 1984 by George Orwell

Cant read? Dracula by Bram Stoker. cudnt get past the first chapter

oops missed bits off

Last read

The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living - Fritjof Capra

Despite its boring title, it's a good read and a facinating theory (anyone who read the Tao of Physics will know he writes well), it's about connections beteen biology, philosophy, psychology, sociology, economics, globalisation, environmentalism, and anthropology.

Favourite author

don't really have one/too many to mention, if pushed I'd say Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Favourite book - Glass Bead Game - Herman Hesse

Can't read - romances & Charles Dickens, other than that I'll read the back of a cereal packet if there's nothing else around, basically I'll read anything

Following a chance conversation with someone today, my next book is going to be a re-read of 1985 - Anthony Burgess (if I can remember where I've filed it), any of you 1984 fans ever read it? If not you should.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im reading The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K Dick.... Very very good. Another take on the what would happen if the Axis had won WW2 but from the US perspective!

Last read The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. Brilliant as always

Fave author Iain Banks/Iain M Banks - love em all...

Fave book The Silmarillion cos Im a very sad Tolkien anorak...!

What book are you currently reading? Cognitive and language development in children-oates n grayson :( and Nikki French- Beneath the skin

Last book read? The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon: really good book!

Favourite author? Patricia Cornwell, Sophie Kinsella

Favourite book? Hmm not sure, possibly Bridget jones as read before film had even thought bought being made and was a great book orr The magic faraway tree-enid blighton has always been a fav ;)

Cant read? Harry potter....don't know why..pick it up thinking will read then just...dont!

god i hate working in publishing we get books so far ahead of release that i can't talk about them at the time and then ages after i've read them people mention them and i think must re-read that but i never do, don't think i've ever read a book twice since i was 12

god i hate working in publishing we get books so far ahead of release that i can't talk about them at the time and then ages after i've read them people mention them and i think must re-read that but i never do, don't think i've ever read a book twice since i was 12

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What book are you currently reading? Amsterdam by Ian McEwan

Last book read? Confessions of a High Class Call Girl by Belle De Jour, which was a much meatier read than I'd been expecting. Highly recommended.

Favourite author? Margeret Atwood - can't recommend her books highly enough, particularly Blind Assassin, The Handmaid's Tale & Oryx & Crake

Favourite book? Probably Blind Assassin or Atonement by Ian Mcewan.

:( I likes books I do!

What book are you currently reading? The Gunslinger.....first book of the Dark Tower series Stephen King

Last book read? Nightmares and Dreamscapes short stories by Stephen King

Favourite author? Clive Barker

Favourite book? am torn between Imajica and Galilee (clive barker) also re-read Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee loads of times

Cant read? i have roughly 20 metres of shelving full of books, we bought nearly all of them second hand and i DO intend to read them all. i have never got to grips with Terry Pratchett though and don't own any of his books. (have read Soul Music, The Hogfather and Lords and Ladies which i loved but the rest never kept my attention)

Currently reading: Hey Nostradamus! - Douglas Coupland

Last book read: Last Car to Elysian Fields - James Lee Burke

Favourite Author: Douglas Coupland, probably. Or Jonathan Coe. Or possibly Carl Hiaasen. Depends, really.

Favourite book: The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger

Curently Reading: Tom Wolfe-I Am Charlotte Simmons

Last Book Read: John Fante-The Bandini Quartet

Favourite Author: Tom Wolfe, Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Milan Kundera

Favourite Book: John Fowles-The Magus

Cant Finish: David Foster Wallace-Infinite Jest- Im sorry this book is a complete c**t, I was 600 pages in and still nothing happened. Its our generations gravitys rainbow but you can still your postmodern deconstruvtion up your f**kling arse as far as im concerned

Favourite author?  Margeret Atwood - can't recommend her books highly enough, particularly Blind Assassin, The Handmaid's Tale & Oryx & Crake

Currently reading: round ireland with a fridge - Tony Hawks

Last book read: Lovely Bone - cant remember who wrote it!

Favourite Author: Dave Pelzer

Favourite book: The A Child called It - brilliant book but so upsetting

one of my fave books, nice choice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by Lauz_Abbott