Books

Guest chappiepunk

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*lmao/nodding*

his endings get me, some times they are sooo bad. And so bloody lengthy.

Although, sometimes his books are outstanding and it really is worth sifting through the crap coz just one of his good ones is good enough to overshadow all the bad ones and most of the bad ones are still fab in the scheme of things.

Cujo though, what was he thinking?!

I've just got around to reading "John" by Cynthia Lennon. I'm curious if anyone else has read this, and if so, what their thoughts on it are and if it Changed their opinion of John. I know it's her version of events, but doing some digging it seems she hasn't really told any untruths.

I've also just finished "The Star Fraction" by Ken MacLeod. Not too sure what I thought about this. It was a bit heavy going from the outset, but it's made me read up on my political history since finishing it!

Edited by spammachine

Just finished 'The Big over easy' by Jasper Fforde. Absoloutely excellent!

It's a murder mystery, set in Reading. But if I tell you the victim is Humpty Dumpty and the two investigating officers are Jack Spratt and Mary Mary from the NCD (Nursery Crimes Division) you'll realise that it's an alternative Reading. There are also aliens, giants, refugee gods, screen legends, footcare products and genetic engineering.

Jasper Fforde has created a world where reality and literature blend.

If you like Terry Pratchett and Michael Marshall Smith then I recommend you read 'The Big Over Easy' and also Jasper's 'Thursday Next' series.

Oh, and those who have already read some of the Thursday Next books - there should be a new one out later this year :blink:

I have had a bit of a Stephen King summer, read The Long Walk (he writes ar Richard Bachman for it) it is an amazing story I read it about three months ago and still miss it.

I just finished reading one of his more recent books, From a Buick 8, and it was great fecking brilliant

Doh! Completely forgot to add what I'm reading now......A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

It's supposed to be autobiographical, but apparently Frey had to admit on American TV that he'd embellished a lot of the details. Either way, I'm completely engrossed, and fact or fiction it's a disturbing but touching tale of addiction.

Currently reading Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman - all to do with unrequited love and the lasting (negative) effects the end of a relationship can have on one or both partners....As well as a tonne of other stuff. It got a bit intellectual in the middle for me but pushed through that and I'm quite liking it now. It's told from 7 different perspectives and as it jumps between voices the story moves a step backwards then takes you further forward and leaves you hanging through the next voice. Good stuff :blink:

• 1 month later...

I have just finished reading "Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?"

It's just an alphabetised tirade of everything that is shit. Glastonbury toffs, stand-up comedians, airport parking, TV lists of best/worst things, Big Brother videos, Keane, its all there.

It's just someone ranting for the masses and a neat little stress reliever.

Edited by Purple Monkey

Ooo, I'm glad this thread got resurrected! I'm utterly engrossed in A Million Little Pieces by James Frey - anyone else read it?

I just googled searched to see if I could find an outline of the book to paste here, and found a tonne of websites saying the memoir is fabricated...Hmm...Interesting - still a bloody good (and stomach-churning in places) read though! :blink:

Ooo, I'm glad this thread got resurrected! I'm utterly engrossed in A Million Little Pieces by James Frey - anyone else read it?

I just googled searched to see if I could find an outline of the book to paste here, and found a tonne of websites saying the memoir is fabricated...Hmm...Interesting - still a bloody good (and stomach-churning in places) read though! :blink:

I'm in the middle of The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and I'm loving it. Its about a man who time travels and first meets his wife when she's still a child and then eventually their 'time' conincides and they meet in the 'now' & even though he doen't know her yet she's known him all her life.

It sounds a bit odd now I've written it down!! - but it's a great book, makes you think about the past/present/future and whether everything in life is mapped out or changable :blink:

I've just read "Shiboleth" which is Penny Rimbaud's auto biography.....I never was into the whole "Crass" thing I was too busy being a stoned hippie listening to Gong.......

Although it is around 10 years old now I found it wonderfully affirming that there are still political activists and alternative thinkers around.....he is 63 though...... ;)

People have said to me that he and his crew ( the one's that are still alive ) just haven't moved on, they're still stuck doing the same old stuff, with the same political stance.......well Hooray for them I say......thank f*ck for the likes of Pen Rimbaud........ :blink:

I just googled searched to see if I could find an outline of the book to paste here, and found a tonne of websites saying the memoir is fabricated...Hmm...Interesting - still a bloody good (and stomach-churning in places) read though! ;)

Now I do... I think I was subjected to too much too young and fell asleep under too many chairs at too many gigs. But my ears have matured and freewill helps.

They're doing a 2 day gig in September at the Milkweg, Asterdam which should be fun :blink: