Crowd interaction from artists

tarw

Artists chatting to the audience   

114 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like artists to interact with the crowd at a gig?

• I want them all to be like sprinty Dave and chat to me between each song. Even though like the boor in the pub I’ve heard the same story 100 times before
    • I think The boss has got it nailed a bit of a chat sometimes to give involve and entertain me
    • Ellie has got it spot on lets her music do the talking and has other band members do the chatty bits
    • ELO all the way. I’m paying to hear music not waffle

7 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

My favourite crowd interaction this year was from Joe Talbot. 

Calmly and with total authority parted the packed crowd on the Other stage and instructed us to run at each other with love!

Now that is the type of crowd interaction that I really hate.

I've realised recently that type of nonsense only works with drunk people and I don't drink.

If you're sober or on sensible drugs it just looks and feels annoying.

Edited by Skip997

42 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Now that is the type of crowd interaction that I really hate.

I've realised recently that type of nonsense only works with drunk people and I don't drink.

If you're sober or on sensible drugs it just looks and feels annoying.

Well, we weren't drinking, and we loved it.

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Yeah Macca can stick that smug self-aggrandizing stuff, but I actually found his casual little stories about legends of music really entertaining.

Stuff that bugs me: artists who shout things like "are you having a good time?" or "Glasto, how you feeling?". Like, I'm at fucking Glastonbury so yeah, I'm not too bad thanks. Also "PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!!" Stop telling me what to do!!

Re: the 'go low' stuff needs to get in the sea as well now. Saw some poor sod unable to 'go low' because he had a dodgy hip, so he stood there like a killjoy while everyone around him made him look really obvious. Really felt for him.

Where you stood next to me at Nova Twins or Billie Eilish by any chance! 😁

Felt like I was about to dislocate something while crouching down on the floor! 

10 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Be nice to hear a little bit more from Thom Yorke.He let's the music do the talking, but a bit of a chat would be nice 

Thom Yorke does fill up the space though. He's a short fella but one with a weird kind of charisma that grabs your attention just by looking at you/the crowd. (Love him too.)

If there's one man who's mastered crowd interaction to perfection, it's Nick Cave. Never saw an artist so connected with his crowd but at the same time it never feels forced. I'll say it again: best performer I've ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Thom Yorke does fill up the space though. He's a short fella but one with a weird kind of charisma that grabs your attention just by looking at you/the crowd. (Love him too.)

If there's one man who's mastered crowd interaction to perfection, it's Nick Cave. Never saw an artist so connected with his crowd but at the same time it never feels forced. I'll say it again: best performer I've ever seen. 

Very good call.

Seeing them both at All Points East on the 28th.

Can't wait.

19 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Agree about Nick Cave.

Freddie Mercury also had this, saw Queen in 1982, crowd in the palm of his hand for 2 hours.

10 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Was thinking about Cave was the obvious one, but he manages to do it mainly via the music itself. Having seen them a ridiculous amount of times, I'd say he doesn't do loads and loads of chat - the odd little story maybe, a funny aside - but the interaction comes with him getting down into the front rows and engaging with people. So a bit different to the stage chat thing.

47 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Was thinking about Cave was the obvious one, but he manages to do it mainly via the music itself. Having seen them a ridiculous amount of times, I'd say he doesn't do loads and loads of chat - the odd little story maybe, a funny aside - but the interaction comes with him getting down into the front rows and engaging with people. So a bit different to the stage chat thing.

When he chats/says something he's genuinely funny a lot of the time. Like, laugh out loud funny. It helps that his humor contrasts his music so much. But as I said, nothing ever feels forced of shoed-in.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

He also interacts with fans in one of the most intimate ways by actually intelligently and candidly engaging with them online. I’ve seen him in conversation, peppered with him playing tunes on the piano, which is a great night. Have also been in the first couple of rows and had him scream Stagger Lee right into my face…also fantastic! His current set is really brilliant, feels different to other times I’ve seen them play, totally immersive, but maybe a bit gentler than some previous shows. I haven’t seen him laugh a lot over the last few years, but he really seemed to be enjoying himself when I saw him recently. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

When he chats/says something he's genuinely funny a lot of the time. Like, laugh out loud funny. It helps that his humor contrasts his music so much. But as I said, nothing ever feels forced of shoed-in.  

9 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

He also interacts with fans in one of the most intimate ways by actually intelligently and candidly engaging with them online. I’ve seen him in conversation, peppered with him playing tunes on the piano, which is a great night. Have also been in the first couple of rows and had him scream Stagger Lee right into my face…also fantastic! His current set is really brilliant, feels different to other times I’ve seen them play, totally immersive, but maybe a bit gentler than some previous shows. I haven’t seen him laugh a lot over the last few years, but he really seemed to be enjoying himself when I saw him recently. 

Yeah fully agree with all of this. He was very funny at Primavera when he shouted out to his two sons that were there and then said: "They're probably watching fucking Bauhaus instead."

Have also been to one of the in conversation things and it was brilliant. And I fully agree re The Red Hand Files.

Just won tickets for APE in a few weeks so excited to see them again soon!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah fully agree with all of this. He was very funny at Primavera when he shouted out to his two sons that were there and then said: "They're probably watching fucking Bauhaus instead."

Have also been to one of the in conversation things and it was brilliant. And I fully agree re The Red Hand Files.

Just won tickets for APE in a few weeks so excited to see them again soon!

Very jealous! Enjoy! I walked away from his set at ATN desperate to see them again soon, really on fire at the moment. 

49 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Very jealous! Enjoy! I walked away from his set at ATN desperate to see them again soon, really on fire at the moment. 

Yeah the set at Primavera was pretty incredible. I wasn't going to fork out for APE as I often find the crowd a bit shit so was delighted to win tickets and get to see them again. Whole lineup is stacked too!

Anyone who can say something interesting I welcome. Anyone who can only say Hello Glastonbury and fake crowd involvement I'd rather they shut up.

Maximum minimalism I've ever seen was a gig by Black Country, New Road who said not one single word in the entire gig. It was fine by me but smacks of art for art's sake.

35 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah the set at Primavera was pretty incredible. I wasn't going to fork out for APE as I often find the crowd a bit shit so was delighted to win tickets and get to see them again. Whole lineup is stacked too!

Saw him at TW Classic after Primavera, seeing him play his biggest headline show yet (can't really get much bigger than getting your own day at Werchter, downgrading the likes of Florence ATM and Placebo as your subs). And that show was probably the best festival show I've ever witnessed. It was pouring (literally) the whole time but yet Cave refused to stay out of the rain, becoming just as soaking wet as the audience. 

Very intense, energetic set. He somehow improved his 2017 setlists. Glad Stagger Lee (which felt tiresome and gimmicky) got sacked, leaving room for more and better songs. The likes of Oh Children, Carnage, City Of Refuge, White Elephant (!), There She Goes..., and -surprisingly- Vortex, are among the highlights of the set. And Ghosteen Speaks instead of PTSA is a good move. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Saw him at TW Classic after Primavera, seeing him play his biggest headline show yet (can't really get much bigger than getting your own day at Werchter, downgrading the likes of Florence ATM and Placebo as your subs). And that show was probably the best festival show I've ever witnessed. It was pouring (literally) the whole time but yet Cave refused to stay out of the rain, becoming just as soaking wet as the audience. 

Very intense, energetic set. He somehow improved his 2017 setlists. Glad Stagger Lee (which felt tiresome and gimmicky) got sacked, leaving room for more and better songs. The likes of Oh Children, Carnage, City Of Refuge, White Elephant (!), There She Goes..., and -surprisingly- Vortex, are among the highlights of the set. And Ghosteen Speaks instead of PTSA is a good move. 

The new arrangement of Vortex is absolutely fantastic live alright! Perfectly placed in the encore too. The three backing vocalists he has on this tour are really outstanding and add a lot to the tracks chosen for this set. It’s an exceptionally well balanced collection, veering from tender vulnerability to kicking, snarling menace. I loved it and as stated elsewhere, was such an absorbing watch, it could easily top the pyramid. I did love PTSA as a closer though (didn’t until I saw it live the first time), but Ghosteen Speaks does have a sense of communion that it didn’t have and is also a great way to end. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If a performer isn't going to interact with crowd you might as well stay at home and listen to the record.  One of the reasons that ELO d@bbed down in the Legends Slot is Jeff Lynne was too shy to do anything to gee up the crowd except give them the odd thumbs up.

Your not into dance acts then.

They as general rule they don't interact with the crowd, and believe me, seeing the Chemical Brothers live on The Other Stage is nothing like staying at home listening to the record.

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If a performer isn't going to interact with crowd you might as well stay at home and listen to the record.  One of the reasons that ELO d@bbed down in the Legends Slot is Jeff Lynne was too shy to do anything to gee up the crowd except give them the odd thumbs up.

Doesn't live music normally sound a little different?

19 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Your not into dance acts then.

They as general rule they don't interact with the crowd, and believe me, seeing the Chemical Brothers live on The Other Stage is nothing like staying at home listening to the record.

They're not performers - which is the word I used.

I've seen the Chemical Brothers live on the Other Stage.