Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

2 hours ago, st dan said:

If the ticket balance is due in early March as usual, then I assume a fair few will be struggling to afford it after paying the sky high energy bills that are expected from October - March. 

It would be better if there was an option to pay the full balance in October for those who have the funds available at the time of booking. 

Not sure people would see that as responsible maybe, by the festival

Spend a large chunk of cash just before things get even worse. 

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I'm the annoying unseen option of working it instead - which does save a bloody fortune, tbf. The £280 on a ticket, £50 parking, showers and food tokens thrown in, and getting a couple of extra days on the mon and tues before everyone else turns up makes it a really easy decision thats only affected by petrol prices and food/drink etc.

Cant see me going on a punter's ticket for the foreseeable future, i just plain don't have what will be a good £800 at least for a week's holiday, when my partner has kids who would also love a holiday away - working glastonbury means its quite possible to take them away at another time as well. Sacrificing 3 x 8hr shifts is a very good swap in my situation. 

I am in this boat too. Different shift set up but not sure I would pay for ticket.  Get the wife one though

Everything just feels like it’s getting more and more expensive. Obviously Glastonbury is a necessity for me but I can see more of my group dropping out due to the associated costs.

I can also (strangely) see some who came and had a blast this year passing on next year. They’ve mentioned that they enjoyed it and they’ve ticked the box, but things are very pricy right now and they don’t want to lock it in.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Everything just feels like it’s getting more and more expensive. Obviously Glastonbury is a necessity for me but I can see more of my group dropping out due to the associated costs.

I can also (strangely) see some who came and had a blast this year passing on next year. They’ve mentioned that they enjoyed it and they’ve ticked the box, but things are very pricy right now and they don’t want to lock it in.

Yeah I agree, some just want to experience it the one time. 

Always seems harder to get tickets every year though. Weather was good this year, great sets covered on bbc.

For all the people that can't afford it there will be more who still can and want to experience it for the first time. 

I had an amazing time watching it on TV and iPlayer with some beers and food this year and I've pretty much decided that's what I'll be doing next year. However much the festival is deified and worshipped on here, it's still a total luxury given the associated costs, and for me inessential in terms of annual spending.

I'd now much rather drip-feed that money towards stuff that's going to make me happy throughout the year (be it gigs, weekends away, whatever) rather than a single weekend that's often stressful and always costs more than I expect it to.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Not sure people would see that as responsible maybe, by the festival

Spend a large chunk of cash just before things get even worse. 

Yeah true, fair point. For me personally though, I’d rather spend the £300 in October before the shit really hits the fan in terms of the energy crisis.
If I put that money to one side I think I’d be quite likely to dip into it if/when needed .. but guess that is the point you’re making. More responsible to pay to live rather than the luxury of a festival. 

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Was in NYC in April. Off topic but just an FYI.

The best stuff in NYC is free! Walking around Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, The High Line, Central Park, Grand Central, NYC Library, Chelsea Market, Times Square, Bryant Park, Upper West Side, Brooklyn Bridge, Wall St, Battery Park, 9/11 memorial and even The Staten Island Ferry. All free. Subway out to Williamsburg is a couple of dollars. Boat from Williamsburg to Dumbo was $2.75, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from there. You don't need to spend a lot if you dont want to.

Err but yeah, Glasto. Such good value for money when you consider the price of going to gigs individully. Big gigs especially. No interest in them anymore. Too expensive, too much hassle.

Thanks. 🙂

We have a lot of stuff lined up for free, and about 4/5 paid attractions that we 100% want to go on.

I think its more the food and alcohol that will hit the wallet so will just have to be a bit more cautious on that front.

We are now getting the subway to our hotel in Times Square from JFK instead of a cab $15 instead of $70

Got Rage Against the Machine at Madison Square Garden next Friday was $125 for a seated ticket 😮 

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Glastonbury still represents great value compared to many gigs. But I recognise that for many next year is going to be difficult financially, the reality of the increases in gas and electricity prices has still to hit home.  

Don't forget petrol.........I drove from Oxford to Worthing last Friday for a funeral, round trip about 250 miles....cost me nearly £50 in fuel! 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Slightly off topic I know, but I can see the demographic of attendees changing markedly. Many  there have become noticeably more affluent in recent years and I suspect it will be even more so next year.

I have to agree

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

It's still good value, but I'm afraid it's out of my price range nowadays. I couldn't possibly justify paying for 2 festivals a year & I've chosen End of the Road as my one.

Couple of very sensible rules: • Take camping chairs, trolleys and ground blankets forward of the Woods Stage sound desk and Garden Stage sound desk after 5pm, or into the Tipi Stage after 5pm.
• Bring flags into the festival village. These are permitted in the campsite only.

But I really don't like this: • Drugs – Big NO! We have a zero tolerance policy and your stay with us will be short.

Barring any shock comebacks the days of me paying £100 a gig ticket are over. Everything is getting more and more expensive and I need to be pickier with what I'm spending money on.

There are only two live events next year that I will be at regardless of cost - Glastonbury (with my kids in tow) and the Pulp reunions.

Bringing the kids will inevitably make GF twice as expensive and half as fun but we shall try...

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Couple of very sensible rules: • Take camping chairs, trolleys and ground blankets forward of the Woods Stage sound desk and Garden Stage sound desk after 5pm, or into the Tipi Stage after 5pm.
• Bring flags into the festival village. These are permitted in the campsite only.

But I really don't like this: • Drugs – Big NO! We have a zero tolerance policy and your stay with us will be short.

Yeah I know all the rules - this will be my 15th EOTR! 

The no drugs rule doesn't seem to be enforced too seriously - very few bag searches & plenty of people taking drugs all weekend!

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

What are we anticipating overall ticket price to be for 2023?

Assuming it’s within £300 and looking at a £50 deposit in October you’re looking at around £250 to pay over the next 6 months so just over £40 a month.

I think its going to be a decent jump in price. It will cross £300 and be a bit more than that. 

In terms of value its still a good one but of course crossing  the magical £300 barrier is going to make people think twice. I mean whats going to happen by the end of the decade when its at £400? 

I’m putting £150 a month away which is to cover me and the wife. If we don’t get tickets we will use the money to get a last min deal and go away glasto week. 

it’s a lot but it’s so worth it, we are lucky that I’ve had a cost of living bonus and a ok pay rise and the wife has just had a promotion with a decent increase. 

I can’t imagine how tough it will be for anyone on minimum wage

Edited by dotdash79

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Thanks. 🙂

We have a lot of stuff lined up for free, and about 4/5 paid attractions that we 100% want to go on.

I think its more the food and alcohol that will hit the wallet so will just have to be a bit more cautious on that front.

We are now getting the subway to our hotel in Times Square from JFK instead of a cab $15 instead of $70

Got Rage Against the Machine at Madison Square Garden next Friday was $125 for a seated ticket 😮 

Yeah, and. Run The Jewels is opening plus its at MSG. The problem with the $125 is that its every ticket. You could be at the top and it costs the same as standing. Very few acts do that sort of thing but thats their deal. Youll say its worth every penny. Anyway, dining out in Ny is the killer. Just go find a Halal Guys cart every night and save some dollars. Cant imagine a Pastrami at Katz isnt over $30 now.

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

I had an amazing time watching it on TV and iPlayer with some beers and food this year and I've pretty much decided that's what I'll be doing next year. However much the festival is deified and worshipped on here, it's still a total luxury given the associated costs, and for me inessential in terms of annual spending.

I'd now much rather drip-feed that money towards stuff that's going to make me happy throughout the year (be it gigs, weekends away, whatever) rather than a single weekend that's often stressful and always costs more than I expect it to.

Im pretty much here. Its either qll in for one weekend and the rest of the year would swing between tedium and wanting to hang myself with boredom or its a few things punctuated throughout the year.  So sadly with that its time to hang up the idea of going.  Yes it can be seen as brilliant value if measured on whats available but i can only be in one place at a time even if there's a hundred stages to be at (plus other stuff). 

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Whilst the festival remains good value for money it’s the added extras that mount up … working it might become an option for me depending on how things go , I’ve not taken the option yet despite being heavily persuaded to as I see it as my one holiday a year . This year however at the festival I spent under £100 but that did mean I took all my own drink and some food in . 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Whilst the festival remains good value for money it’s the added extras that mount up … working it might become an option for me depending on how things go , I’ve not taken the option yet despite being heavily persuaded to as I see it as my one holiday a year . This year however at the festival I spent under £100 but that did mean I took all my own drink and some food in . 

Think this is partly my problem. I would easily piss thru 100quid a day and wouldnt want to compromise that - i can do what i want- feeling.  My issue i know but it would feel a massive compromise to only go with 20quid a day (5 days) 

2 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Think this is partly my problem. I would easily piss thru 100quid a day and wouldnt want to compromise that - i can do what i want- feeling.  My issue i know but it would feel a massive compromise to only go with 20quid a day (5 days) 

I guess it’s a compromise I know I have to make … my tipple is alcohol and I’m quite happy pulling a can of cider from my bag rather than walking to any bar . Obviously some other fun things might have bigger costs associated … I’ve no idea on that tbh … but I no longer need another tshirt . And actually now I think I’ve got the essential camping gear sorted that I shouldn’t need to update for a while at least … that’s probably my biggest cost