Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

11 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It would be good for them to do something but it's just hard to see what they would do and how to make it fair. I mean even with the NHS they are plenty of consultants on the NHS who also do private work and are paid a fortune for it. Only the incredibly rich will not feel the effects of this cost of living crisis. 

when i suggested it to emily, i only stipulated "local" nhs workers., cos i was enjoying the local hospitality at the time. i thought she could probably sort something out with the nhs locally, which might help slant it towards the lower grade jobs.

Appreciate it’s probably too difficult to do, particularly at such short notice, but it would be good if people had the option to chip away and pay off the balance as and when they wish until the deadline in March.
The biggest issue for many will be having £250+ saved in one lump sum after the winter that is coming. I know you can effectively do this yourself with savings accounts, but it’s not the same and too easy to dip in to. 

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

when i suggested it to emily, i only stipulated "local" nhs workers., cos i was enjoying the local hospitality at the time. i thought she could probably sort something out with the nhs locally, which might help slant it towards the lower grade jobs.

Yes it would be good to see something for lower grade workers. 

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It would be good for them to do something but it's just hard to see what they would do and how to make it fair. I mean even with the NHS they are plenty of consultants on the NHS who also do private work and are paid a fortune for it. Only the incredibly rich will not feel the effects of this cost of living crisis. 

I was actually googling for something like "wealth distribution in the UK", and realized how far far far away I am from being rich.

I'd say if they'd manage something that's fair 90% of the time it wouldn't be too bad. 

30 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Love the idea of a discount for NHS workers but they’d need their own sale wouldn’t they? Trying along with everyone else would still mean they’d have to get through first with no advantage. 

But they only pay a deposit, not the whole amount. The total price can be amended after the first sale.

Resales would need a partial refund afterwards but there is processes you can do.

Edited by dotdash79

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

But they only pay a deposit, not the whole amount. The total price can be amended after the first sale.

Resales would need a partial refund afterwards but there is processes you can do.

Challenge would be surely they could only afford to give a certain amount of tickets at a discounted price what if that was say 5% but 10% managed to get tickets. I think it would have to be a separate sale and to be honest if they were going to do it I'd like to see it applied to other essential workers like supermarket staff, bin collectors, delivery drivers. There are many people working hard on minimum wage jobs who could do with being rewarded. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m going with £315 and I don’t think sell out time will be affected. There are enough people registered and keen to go that anyone dropping out over affordability is easily replaced with someone willing to spend as much. May change the dynamic a bit though. 

£315 makes sense if you just address inflation. There is some logic to why I went for £345 ish. Obviously it’s all guesswork from my side.

It means that after the £50 deposit the balance is still less than £300 (a mental barrier)

Tickets for 2022 were £280 and inflation alone (if it stays around 10-12%) puts the increase to £310.

The festival took a hit of a few million from the two cancelled festivals (even taking account of the government recovery fund)

The additional £30, on top of the inflation increase of £310 brings in roughly £4m from the punters. I’ve taken off the £5 booking fee.

That would clear the debt and I think £345 is pretty good value for money in most peoples eyes given it’s still selling out in sub 1 hour.

I think they will go £345 and get away with it after an amazing sunny year and all the positive vibes.

Edited by March Hare

7 minutes ago, March Hare said:

That would clear the debt and I think £345 is pretty good value for money in most peoples eyes given it’s still selling out in sub 1 hour.

I struggle with this, although I understand it's good value compared with going to see one big band/artist, it's still a shit load of money and then of course other costs on top.

So glad I'm crew.

Just now, Skip997 said:

I struggle with this, although I understand it's good value compared with going to see one big band/artist, it's still a shit load of money and then of course other costs on top.

So glad I'm crew.

I’m not getting into the rights and wrongs of pricing. Just that the demand is clearly there so people must see it as good value. Otherwise it wouldn’t sell out so quickly.

3 hours ago, st dan said:

Appreciate it’s probably too difficult to do, particularly at such short notice, but it would be good if people had the option to chip away and pay off the balance as and when they wish until the deadline in March.
The biggest issue for many will be having £250+ saved in one lump sum after the winter that is coming. I know you can effectively do this yourself with savings accounts, but it’s not the same and too easy to dip in to. 

If you need to dip in, you need to dip in. I would rather people be able to make rent/stay warm/eat and miss out on Glastonbury, than do without the essentials just so they theoretically still have a Glastonbury ticket (if they can get there, afford to eat there, etc.)

I think it'd be against the festival's whole ethos to lock up more of people's money unnecessarily, when they might need it. 

If they really want to help the best thing they could do is waive the admin fee on having the deposit refunded. That way those who really need their money back can get it.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, March Hare said:

£315 makes sense if you just address inflation. There is some logic to why I went for £345 ish. Obviously it’s all guesswork from my side.

It means that after the £50 deposit the balance is still less than £300 (a mental barrier)

Tickets for 2022 were £280 and inflation alone (if it stays around 10-12%) puts the increase to £310.

The festival took a hit of a few million from the two cancelled festivals (even taking account of the government recovery fund)

The additional £30, on top of the inflation increase of £310 brings in roughly £4m from the punters. I’ve taken off the £5 booking fee.

I think they will go £345 and get away with it after an amazing sunny year and all the positive vibes.

I’d say something in between … the festival have a standard annual price increase I think it’s will obviously be more than that but not quite as much as £345 …. £325 ballpark 

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d say something in between … the festival have a standard annual price increase I think it’s will obviously be more than that but not quite as much as £345 …. £325 ballpark 

You could be right. In which case they will find the money from other sources like merch, bar prices and vendor pitches.  But my guess is they will do that as well. It will go hand in hand with the ticket price increases.

Just on the back of a conversation we just had here - even with the talk about money, for those who are prioritising Glastonbury as their big thing to do (and who can obviously), maybe securing the deposit could be something that actually helps some through the winter. Something to look forward to, to aim towards on those dark winter nights. 

I know its a privileged position but that's how we'll be playing it 

Edited by efcfanwirral

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Just on the back of a conversation we just had here - even with the talk about money, for those who are prioritising Glastonbury as their big thing to do (and who can obviously), maybe securing the deposit could be something that actually helps some through the winter. Something to look forward to, to aim towards on those dark winter nights. 

I know its a privileged position but that's how we'll be playing it 

Totally agree. Although I don’t go down the ticket route because of the cost (buying for two), if I was, it would be positive vibes all winter.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:54 AM, st dan said:

Some banks allow you to do pools that lock until a certain date but yes i agree.

£315 sounds about right to me, definitely an instant sell out still.

Its very important to remember that lots of people try from abroad where the effects of the economy are less felt e.g. france next door with the 4% energy price cap etc. People are very eager to travel from different continents even and glastonbury is quite close to London relatively speaking so a good stop enroute.

Edited by gfa

On 8/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, March Hare said:

You could be right. In which case they will find the money from other sources like merch, bar prices and vendor pitches.  But my guess is they will do that as well. It will go hand in hand with the ticket price increases.

Well merch prices were still relatively low compared to regular gigs at the time, so if everything went up £5 that would be a decent chunk of change. Also maybe make more of it. They had sold out by Saturday and maybe actually dont make just basic stuff and have some other non standard designs for shirts. I know they put things online after for pre orders and such but then you have to incur shipping costs to buyers and all its kind of a turn off.

So its going to be a £400 fest within 3 years now, lets see the demographic changes. Will be interesting to see how resale goes if lots of people know they cant truly afford it and even more tickets are available than even this year. Guess the ethos of it being the everyman festival is now just going to disappear.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Well merch prices were still relatively low compared to regular gigs at the time, so if everything went up £5 that would be a decent chunk of change. Also maybe make more of it. They had sold out by Saturday and maybe actually dont make just basic stuff and have some other non standard designs for shirts. I know they put things online after for pre orders and such but then you have to incur shipping costs to buyers and all its kind of a turn off.

So its going to be a £400 fest within 3 years now, lets see the demographic changes. Will be interesting to see how resale goes if lots of people know they cant truly afford it and even more tickets are available than even this year. Guess the ethos of it being the everyman festival is now just going to disappear.

Where have you got £400 from, its not even £300 yet 😂

My concern is that they’ll have no option but to put ticket prices up significantly. There’s no price cap for business energy usage. When small enterprises (pubs, takeaways) are seeing their quarterly bills rising from £2k to £12k, I can’t imagine what the costs of running all the stages is going to be (let alone traders’ stalls). Unless the government acts now - which they won’t, because they’re absolute f*ckers in thrall to big business - it’s looking grim. After 14 festivals, this is the first year I’m thinking hard about whether to try for tickets 😢