Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

31 minutes ago, geoffboycott said:

This, EOTR's options are great and really works, to the point I'm not taking much booze with me this year. 

Going off topic a bit; I was increasingly disappointed with the beer options at Glastonbury over the last few visits.  I understand it is a much larger festival and therefore there are supply logistics to overcome, plus I presume Glastonbury receive bids from major suppliers for the main beer options(?) - I mean, who would choose Carlsberg?! 😉  But surely there is a way of improving beer options?!

Yep I reckon if they advertised decent booze beforehand some people would bring less in with them, less waste etc. Theyre still stuck in the 00's in terms of booze. Pints of cats piss and whatever discounted donkey phlegm for wine that comes aloing with buying in such big quantities.

Let a few indies in!

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, moogster said:

Shit... Inflation numbers in the NL for groceries are out. 18.5% more than a year ago. Looks like chocolate and bananas increased less than pasta and dairy . So I'll be having banana pancakes with chocolate sauce for dinner from now on.

Don’t you need eggs and milk for the batter?

Good idea though 

I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s clear at the start. I love Green Man but you can’t take booze into the arena. That’s the way they make money and without those bars they wouldn’t run.  The beer festival there is amazing.  Profit isn’t a bad thing, kind of motivates the people in charge to keep running it

38 minutes ago, tarw said:

Don’t you need eggs and milk for the batter?

Good idea though 

Banana and eggs work.

They estimate that increase is 1500 euros a year for a family. That's a couple of festival/glasto tickets and costs... And then energy. Not looking so great. But hey better than  countries depending on Ukrainian wheat.

18 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I’m not sure, these energy bills are taking their toll and £50 isn’t as easy to find in 2022

I think enough will be able to at that point. If it was bad enough to get to the point where people couldn't pay the deposit, I'd imagine the event itself would be in question. 

Now balance payment time could be interesting

31 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I’m not sure, these energy bills are taking their toll and £50 isn’t as easy to find in 2022

Yeah but they won't really hit until end of October by which time the sale will already have happened, and many are not that good at planning ahead!

3 hours ago, March Hare said:

I’m putting it out there. Tickets will take over an hour to sell out this year. I also think they will cost £345ish

I’m going with £315 and I don’t think sell out time will be affected. There are enough people registered and keen to go that anyone dropping out over affordability is easily replaced with someone willing to spend as much. May change the dynamic a bit though. 

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m going with £315 and I don’t think sell out time will be affected. There are enough people registered and keen to go that anyone dropping out over affordability is easily replaced with someone willing to spend as much. May change the dynamic a bit though. 

Agreed, the demand outstrips supply by such a huge factor it will sell out just as quickly but to a changing demographic. The gradual change we have all observed and discussed over the last decade will be accelerated and there will be a marked change. I expect, unfortunately, there will be an overall older demographic. I’m in the older part personally, but it will be a shame to see less young people there, but it feels inevitable as they are at the sharp end economically.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:58 PM, March Hare said:

I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s clear at the start. I love Green Man but you can’t take booze into the arena. That’s the way they make money and without those bars they wouldn’t run.  The beer festival there is amazing.  Profit isn’t a bad thing, kind of motivates the people in charge to keep running it

I’ve only been once to Green Man but you absolutely could take booze into the arena last year

Edited by Mouseboy11

24 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Agreed, the demand outstrips supply by such a huge factor it will sell out just as quickly but to a changing demographic. The gradual change we have all observed and discussed over the last decade will be accelerated and there will be a marked change. I expect, unfortunately, there will be an overall older demographic. I’m in the older part personally, but it will be a shame to see less young people there, but it feels inevitable as they are at the sharp end economically.

Exactly.

Maybe there should be a "under 25" price or a "students and unemployed or receiving x help" or something like that? Maybe there's a not too bad way to target people struggling? Probably hell to check/to comply with data privacy and seeing how there's not even ID cards in the UK... 

10 hours ago, March Hare said:

I’m putting it out there. Tickets will take over an hour to sell out this year. I also think they will cost £345ish

I suspect the length of time it takes to sell won't really change as that is probably just down to how much Glastonbury/See Tickets are prepared to scale the number of people who can get through at once. If everyone who wanted a ticket could get through immediately they would sell out in minutes. 

34 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

4 minutes ago, moogster said:

Exactly.

Maybe there should be a "under 25" price or a "students and unemployed or receiving x help" or something like that? Maybe there's a not too bad way to target people struggling? Probably hell to check/to comply with data privacy and seeing how there's not even ID cards in the UK... 

I agree the demographic will possibly change but I don't think it's as simple as old people rich - young people poor. I have seen young people at Glastonbury who clearly are incredibly wealthy (or at least have incredibly wealthy parents!) There are many young people who have Glastonbury as one of many things they do throughout the year and many older people for who Glastonbury is their only holiday. 

I agree it would be good if something could be done to help those who can less afford it to go but I'd hate to see it be purely an age thing. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I agree it would be good if something could be done to help those who can less afford it to go but I'd hate to see it be purely an age thing. 

Yes it's like the free bus for retired people or discounts for students. And you can be unemployed but not doing too bad financially...

How were those shows/discounts for NHS people handled? Show your NHS idea, get a discount or organised by the NHS itself?

27 minutes ago, moogster said:

Exactly.

I can't think of a group less deserving of cheap tickets than students tbh. I had more money then when I worked part time than I do now.

13 minutes ago, moogster said:

How were those shows/discounts for NHS people handled? Show your NHS idea, get a discount or organised by the NHS itself?

noidea how they were done elsewhere but i di know that emily is looking at a discount for local NHS  workers.

It would be good for them to do something but it's just hard to see what they would do and how to make it fair. I mean even with the NHS they are plenty of consultants on the NHS who also do private work and are paid a fortune for it. Only the incredibly rich will not feel the effects of this cost of living crisis.