Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

43 minutes ago, spg said:

Yet others, like beautiful days are smaller and don't limit personal alcohol in the "arena" area and seem to survive 

Guess it depends on the acts. Those smaller ones are more about the experience and I guess those going  aren't that bothered that the acts headlining aren't that big. But looking at the lineup it seems to appeal to a certain demographic music wise (leftfield/greenpeace at Glastonbury type?). 

Kendal relies solely on commercial acts. Anything that wants a lineup that could attract the more casual music goers like myself, or those who listen to chart music, would struggle to book those bands without profits. 

I get the festival ethos started as not being about profits, but if all festivals were like Beautiful Days music wise a huge percentage of the population just wouldn't bother. I know I wouldn't.

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 hours ago, spg said:

Yet others, like beautiful days are smaller and don't limit personal alcohol in the "arena" area and seem to survive 

Beautiful Days is a guaranteed sell out every year regardless of the line up as long as The Levellers play which they will as it's their event.

They don't book big acts as they don't have to, Levellers fans are extremly loyal (no idea how anyone can watch the same band at least twice a year every year).

It's a bit of an anomly among outdoor 3 day events, I remember in the early days half the punters wouldn't even bother turning up until the Sunday afternoon, only interested in seeing the Levellers.

A lot of the acts are mates of the Levellers so maybe on reduced fees.

38 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Beautiful Days is a guaranteed sell out every year regardless of the line up as long as The Levellers play which they will as it's their event.

They don't book big acts as they don't have to, Levellers fans are extremly loyal (no idea how anyone can watch the same band at least twice a year every year).

It's a bit of an anomly among outdoor 3 day events, I remember in the early days half the punters wouldn't even bother turning up until the Sunday afternoon, only interested in seeing the Levellers.

A lot of the acts are mates of the Levellers so maybe on reduced fees.

Agree with that, done beautiful days twice .  A bit like Fairport Conventions Cropredy folksy festival. It’s in a terrific location, lovely peaceful village with other acts playing in the local pubs. A nice Avalon stage style festival, car next to the tent. 

5 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is from the Kendal Calling info pack before the festival. Big problem for these festivals

Screenshot_20220807-150732_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Easy answer is the Bearded Theory approach.

Allow people to bring their own booze into the arena, but then out-compete that option by putting on a better offering at a competitive (pub-ish) price.

As a result the bars at Bearded do a huge turnover, per head it'll be far higher than at Kendall or most other Festivals. Though admittedly I don't know how that translates to actual profits - they certainly won't be in the red though.

I reckon there's actually less alcohol being (freely) taken into the Arena at Bearded than snuck in at some of the Festivals that restrict it as a decent number of people actually consider the wide beer selection to be another part of the overall package.

Basically, you can make a profit without screwing people. Just give them what they want.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, incident said:

Allow people to bring their own booze into the arena, but then out-compete that option by putting on a better offering at a competitive (pub-ish) price.

As a result the bars at Bearded do a huge turnover, per head it'll be far higher than at Kendall or most other Festivals. Though admittedly I don't know how that translates to actual profits - they certainly won't be in the red though.

I got so drunk by buying at the bar and also drinking my own, I thought I was on the moon. I love bearded Theory.

The thing with kendal is that they checked your person if you had no bag, but it you had a bag they just checked that. They also didn't check water bottles. Going to buy this for next year:

image.png.970a89c9bdfc896c41bd9bf9d83c3524.png

18 hours ago, spg said:

End of the Road too. No alcohol in the arena, no go for me.

13 hours ago, incident said:

Same at EOTR yeah. Beavertown were there for years, good cocktail scene, easy to get a drink at the bars.

Not like the absolute piss served up at Glasto.

Edited by The Nal

12 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Currently in the US catching some gigs.

In the venue, 20z cans of beer (1.2 pints) are $14 (gbp 11.60).

There are no queues.

If thats dreadful slop like Miller, Budweiser, etc etc then that would be absolutely dreadful - but if its yer craft offerings from Half Acre, Russian River, Sierra Nevada and the like (and you're getting glorious NEIPA's and imperial stouts) then i'd be a lot more up for it.

Bet its the former though 😆 who have you seen? whats the atmos like there?

18 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Kendal also asked for people only to take camp booze on the first trip 

Kendal has always been the strictest on no booze in my experience. 10 years ago they were doing the full body pat down and searching bags etc. often causing huge queues getting in to the arena. Years ago they also tried to limit booze to your first entry to the campsite.

For balance, they always have some decent local ales and did things like 3 pints for a tenner. Usual overpriced piss lager roundabout the main stage.

Edited by Comfy Bean

22 hours ago, Neil said:

don't think it will, higher costs are baked in now, cos after around ten years of no price increases, businesses are seeing the easy-opportunity now to increase prices, so they will no matter what fuel does.

Most businesses are having to increase prices because they have to due to their increased input prices, viz:  raw materials, energy, transport/distribution & wages. As this recession is driven by the price of energy  and pandemic induced  disruption in supply chains, the  Bank of England has very few levers to control inflation. Raising interest rates will only add extra hurt to householders already enduring eye watering energy bills but the BoE has been forced into it by what's happening elsewhere. If the BoE didn't raise interest rates the £ would decline in value and thus input prices, including energy, would go even higher. Grim times.

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

businesses are having to increase prices because they have to due to their increased input prices,

true, but not necessarily increased input prices right now, they've had increasing costs across all of the last five years or so, when they've not raised their own prices.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, gooner1990 said:

Narcs: £200

Alcohol at festival £150

I think for many here it's worth thinking about what you want to get out of the festival, and why you go. If it's to have a big party with mates there may be better options than the most expensive festival in the calendar. 

If that's how you like to do it and can afford it then sure, but having done the festival sober a couple of times, it's still really good, you see the same bands, same acts and yeah it's much cheaper.

It's definitely something worth considering before giving up because of cost.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

true, but not necessarily increased input prices right now, they've had increasing costs across all of the last five years or so, when they've not raised their own prices.

Input prices have been flat or rising at a few % over the last decade and so any price rises passed on to the consumer have been largely unnoticed. Now input prices are rising 10%+ with energy & fuel costs much greater.....Back to the 70s  😭

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

If that's how you like to do it and can afford it then sure, but having done the festival sober a couple of times, it's still really good, you see the same bands, same acts and yeah it's much cheaper.

Doing the festival alcohol free is IMO the way to go.

As for other substances, well for a start I'd struggle to stay up all night and miss my favourite part of the festival.

On 8/4/2022 at 12:52 PM, moogster said:

I already am thinking twice before buying tickets for gigs, and am always checking for second hand tickets. Location/transport costs factored in as gas and parking are, as we call it at home "the third ticket". I prefer to skip a few good but not mind blowing gigs and go to Glastonbury. 

I've started going to gigs by national express now. I've got to go from Hull to Birmingham in November to see Kendrick Lamar, £73 return by train or £29 by National Express, National Express takes 4 hours with a break, your guaranteed a seat with usb port and little table, so just chill for a few hours with a book or a downloaded film. 

Sounds like everyone apart from those very wealthy will have to make sacrifices. It might not be popular but I have a lot of time for Gordon  Brown. Yes he made mistakes as PM but his intervention in the Scottish referendum when he laid bare the lies of the snp saved Scotland. When other politicians of all parties seem to be in hiding or in fighting Brown has come out today and talked sense. 
sorry to sidetrack this tread, I’m sure folk may decide to spend less at Glastonbury on food and drink but it will still be the hottest festival ticket. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

If thats dreadful slop like Miller, Budweiser, etc etc then that would be absolutely dreadful - but if its yer craft offerings from Half Acre, Russian River, Sierra Nevada and the like (and you're getting glorious NEIPA's and imperial stouts) then i'd be a lot more up for it.

Bet its the former though 😆 who have you seen? whats the atmos like there?

A bit of both. Some US IPAs that are apparently good…. And Coors.

but I was pre-loading before entry.

I caught three nights of Phish in Atlantic City - the concerts were on the beach, so dancing in the sand.  A brilliant weekend with some amazing music. The fan community is very friendly and welcoming, which was great as I am travelling solo.

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:24 PM, maelzoid said:

Currently in the US catching some gigs.

In the venue, 20z cans of beer (1.2 pints) are $14 (gbp 11.60).

There are no queues.

Thats actually cheap for a tall boy. Wait til you find the $20 variety. 

Wonder how right Im gonna be that Glasto raises the ticket cost £25 for next year. Maybe even goes up £35 at this rate.

Edited by Suprefan

On 8/8/2022 at 9:44 AM, The Nal said:

End of the Road too. No alcohol in the arena, no go for me.

Same at EOTR yeah. Beavertown were there for years, good cocktail scene, easy to get a drink at the bars.

Not like the absolute piss served up at Glasto.

This, EOTR's options are great and really works, to the point I'm not taking much booze with me this year. 

Going off topic a bit; I was increasingly disappointed with the beer options at Glastonbury over the last few visits.  I understand it is a much larger festival and therefore there are supply logistics to overcome, plus I presume Glastonbury receive bids from major suppliers for the main beer options(?) - I mean, who would choose Carlsberg?! 😉  But surely there is a way of improving beer options?!