Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Being completely honest I don't think the cost-of-living crisis has really hit us yet. I make a decent wage, as does my partner, and we both worked all the way through covid and saved a fair bit by spending nothing. Did make me realise how much I spend on shit though! That still hasn't really been eaten into fully but as we get out and do more I'm sure it'll start to run out. We don't have kids, though, which makes a huge difference to many. I have friends who are already really feeling it.

I'll definitely be trying for next year but if I ever find myself struggling financially (entirely possible, especially as I'm freelance) it would be one of the first things to go. There was a long period in my 20s where I basically did fuck all as I was so skint - unfortunately eating and rent just has to take priority. I also think I'd probably rather have a few smaller, cheaper things scattered through the year rather than one big thing.

Covid has definitely impacted how I feel about this stuff too. I never thought I'd be able to go so long without going to gigs or doing anything fun these days and actually I coped OK. So I know it can be done if needs be. Again, lucky to live with my partner and not alone.

Will be interesting to see what happens to gigs and festival marker once people really start to cut back. It's going to be tough times for the industry for sure.

I agree, I think the leisure industry is in for a shock. This summer the problem has probably been hidden to a degree- as people have been going to festivals and gigs they had paid for during or before Covid. 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:02 PM, crazyfool1 said:

This year however at the festival I spent under £100 but that did mean I took all my own drink and some food in . 

I stopped drinking back in 2020. I have done two festivals this summer so far, and am actually amazed at the difference that makes money-wise!

28 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I stopped drinking back in 2020. I have done two festivals this summer so far, and am actually amazed at the difference that makes money-wise!

Just a reduction in alcohol generally saves a decent amount of money and makes me feel much better generally … I went with the less alcohol option during lockdown with Glastonbury as my blow out … but that was shop purchased so at most cost me £40 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

I agree, I think the leisure industry is in for a shock. This summer the problem has probably been hidden to a degree- as people have been going to festivals and gigs they had paid for during or before Covid. 

Expanding that out to other leisure pursuits, I'd say the shock might already be happening. 

It's definitely not as busy in the Lake District as it has been. Now obviously the last two summers were far from normal but going back to before Covid it's definitely quieter. The accommodation side of things seems to be holding up but people aren't going out as much when they are here. And we aren't seeing anywhere near the number of day trippers. 

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I wouldn't even contemplate a festival in the US to be honest. That's out of my price range!

I think its much more feasible to come over here for a fest than you think. The currency conversion alone makes a dramatic difference. There was a large influx of uk attendees at Lollapalooza last week from what my friends who went reported back on. Ticket was about £300 for 4 days and you had Dua, Sam Fender, Wet Leg, Glass Animals, Idles, Charli Xcx and a few others for british acts. Fest ends at 10 and bars are open til 4am. Thats a good mixture for Chicago, not including the late night gigs they have also to ease conflicts. Also you can walk around with a beer in hand. Outside Lands is happening this weekend and thats always got pleasant weather cause its San Francisco.

There are plenty of late summer/fall fests in the u.s and thats off peak travel times so its much cheaper. And theres only a handful or camping fests anyway so you would be in an airbnb or hotel which is much more manageable in terms of comfort. 

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Expanding that out to other leisure pursuits, I'd say the shock might already be happening. 

It's definitely not as busy in the Lake District as it has been. Now obviously the last two summers were far from normal but going back to before Covid it's definitely quieter. The accommodation side of things seems to be holding up but people aren't going out as much when they are here. And we aren't seeing anywhere near the number of day trippers. 

I live in a tourist town and although the visitor numbers are as usual the local businesses are reporting a drop in trade. Fish and chip shops, ice cream, pubs all not doing as well. A lot more picnickers and hotels have vacancies. Obviously folk want a day out but havnt the cash to spend.  And all this is before the cost of living really rockets with increasing fuel bills . Traders, bars  at Glastonbury might find something similar next year. And that Thatcher clone Truss won’t solve it by knocking a few pence off tax. 

Thanks to the op for starting the thread as it's got me working out my finances, income/current job satisfaction (both shite but once good, have FT job and carer morns eves) etc. Out of necessity I haven't been to gigs or drank for years & been smart about spending but the reality of what's left of my wages the past 3 months means I need to sharpen my elbows again and earn more end of. 

I could work it, but as my only 'holiday' and chance to experience gigs dancing and the rest, its a real contrast situation and may be healthier to get a balance of fun year round. Glastonbury is still the cheaper and ultimate fun option for me. Sorry for the life-vomit just bit overwhelmed and glad this has prompted me to be honest and look at what I can do to make it work 

• Upvote 3

On 8/4/2022 at 8:17 PM, crazyfool1 said:

It’s really tough … I pick home shopping and about 1 in every 6 customer picks is the value range , where previously at a guess it was more like 1 in 20 . People are really starting to feel the pinch now and that’s before the worst of it . 

People shouldn’t be embarrassed to be struggling unfortunately that’s the way things have gone now and there will be so many that it’s impacting … sounds daft but there are always sympathetic ears around here if people require it 

It's awful that it's happening to that extent already as it's only going to get worse for a while yet. 

In your role you really are a thermometer of normal people's financial situation. 

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I think its much more feasible to come over here for a fest than you think. The currency conversion alone makes a dramatic difference. There was a large influx of uk attendees at Lollapalooza last week from what my friends who went reported back on. Ticket was about £300 for 4 days and you had Dua, Sam Fender, Wet Leg, Glass Animals, Idles, Charli Xcx and a few others for british acts. Fest ends at 10 and bars are open til 4am. Thats a good mixture for Chicago, not including the late night gigs they have also to ease conflicts. Also you can walk around with a beer in hand. Outside Lands is happening this weekend and thats always got pleasant weather cause its San Francisco.

There are plenty of late summer/fall fests in the u.s and thats off peak travel times so its much cheaper. And theres only a handful or camping fests anyway so you would be in an airbnb or hotel which is much more manageable in terms of comfort. 

If I'm coming to the US it wouldn't be for a festival. I can do those pretty well over here! 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

. There was a large influx of uk attendees at Lollapalooza last week from what my friends who went reported back on. Ticket was about £300 for 4 days and you had Dua, Sam Fender, Wet Leg, Glass Animals, Idles, Charli Xcx and a few others for british acts.

decent chance those brits were the 'people' for those british acts.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

If I'm coming to the US it wouldn't be for a festival. I can do those pretty well over here! 

To clarify I'd actually love to go to the US (I've never been). But definitely not to see a load of bands I can see at multiple festivals over here! There is so much other stuff I'd love to see.

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To clarify I'd actually love to go to the US (I've never been). But definitely not to see a load of bands I can see at multiple festivals over here! There is so much other stuff I'd love to see.

You can combine! I went one day to Austin City Limits once. That was one day on an almost three weeks trip. It's just another way to experience the country.

I am quite appalled with what I'm reading g about the UK situation now... The rest of Europe has its issues but it seems the counter measures in the UK are... concerning if I see what your potential future prime ministers are talking about...

As a double income  no kids home we are OK but if I do the maths for someone not in our situation, I do get scared...

43 minutes ago, moogster said:

You can combine! I went one day to Austin City Limits once. That was one day on an almost three weeks trip. It's just another way to experience the country.

I am quite appalled with what I'm reading g about the UK situation now... The rest of Europe has its issues but it seems the counter measures in the UK are... concerning if I see what your potential future prime ministers are talking about...

As a double income  no kids home we are OK but if I do the maths for someone not in our situation, I do get scared...

Oh yeah definitely wouldn't be averse to seeing live music while I was out there. But I wouldn't go over just for a festival as I'm lucky to live somewhere that has great ones! I've been abroad for two festivals in my life (Primavera this year and Electric Picnic way back). Honestly Primavera had great bands but the extra expenditure for flights and hotels 100% wasn't worth it. But we live and learn.

11 hours ago, BumJuice said:

Thanks to the op for starting the thread as it's got me working out my finances, income/current job satisfaction (both shite but once good, have FT job and carer morns eves) etc. Out of necessity I haven't been to gigs or drank for years & been smart about spending but the reality of what's left of my wages the past 3 months means I need to sharpen my elbows again and earn more end of. 

I could work it, but as my only 'holiday' and chance to experience gigs dancing and the rest, its a real contrast situation and may be healthier to get a balance of fun year round. Glastonbury is still the cheaper and ultimate fun option for me. Sorry for the life-vomit just bit overwhelmed and glad this has prompted me to be honest and look at what I can do to make it work 

This imo is the big problem which isn’t really addressed because it’s a sensitive subject. Tightening up and cutting back can only do so much - increasing income is leaps and bounds the best way to survive a cost of living crisis.

This is why I am behind the strikes. People are wising up to the fact that they are on poverty wages.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

This imo is the big problem which isn’t really addressed because it’s a sensitive subject. Tightening up and cutting back can only do so much - increasing income is leaps and bounds the best way to survive a cost of living crisis.

This is why I am behind the strikes. People are wising up to the fact that they are on poverty wages.

For absolute definate Matt but it also needs to be finely balanced with working ridiculous hours and messing with mental health that way … it’s a tough juggling act . A few years ago I reduced my hours a fair bit and I’m definately happier for it . 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If you are already living life to the bone cutting cost is hard to do. 

only thing I’ve seen that’s given some relief is that petrol has come down managed to pay £1.63 a litre the other day thanks to Costco. Hopefully that will start to reduce some of the pressures on cost. 

I think non-Glasto festivals are going to be hit pretty badly next year (we're already seeing stuff not selling this summer), but I worry more about gig venues. They're already trying to claw their way out from lockdown and I think people are really going to start reassessing their spend on tickets: most smaller acts are now £16-30 range for a ticket, scaling up to about £75-100 for arenas. When you add in drinks that's an easy £20 on top.

I just don't think that's sustainable for a lot of people who'll be looking at their entertainment spend more closely. Venues need these people through the doors to survive and I'm honestly not sure what the solution is.

11 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Hopefully that will start to reduce some of the pressures on cost. 

don't think it will, higher costs are baked in now, cos after around ten years of no price increases, businesses are seeing the easy-opportunity now to increase prices, so they will no matter what fuel does.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

I think non-Glasto festivals are going to be hit pretty badly next year (we're already seeing stuff not selling this summer), but I worry more about gig venues. They're already trying to claw their way out from lockdown and I think people are really going to start reassessing their spend on tickets: most smaller acts are now £16-30 range for a ticket, scaling up to about £75-100 for arenas. When you add in drinks that's an easy £20 on top.

I just don't think that's sustainable for a lot of people who'll be looking at their entertainment spend more closely. Venues need these people through the doors to survive and I'm honestly not sure what the solution is.

festivals will look for where they can add value for the customer, stuff like allowing booze brought in, and anything else they can think of.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

don't think it will, higher costs are baked in now, cos after around ten years of no price increases, businesses are seeing the easy-opportunity now to increase prices, so they will no matter what fuel does.

They are only baked in as far as people can afford them … it hits a threshold where they will end up losing customer spend if they don’t reduce prices … if you look at supermarkets the discounters are the ones taking the sales . The others will just loose more and more sales untill they offer something to compete price wise . 

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it hits a threshold where they will end up losing customer spend if they don’t reduce prices

i'd say that doesnt apply in most instances.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

festivals will look for where they can add value for the customer, stuff like allowing booze brought in, and anything else they can think of.

Won’t that lead to loss of income from the bar franchise?  Companies will pay more for a bar at a festival if they’re the punters only option?

9 minutes ago, tarw said:

Won’t that lead to loss of income from the bar franchise?  Companies will pay more for a bar at a festival if they’re the punters only option?

They'd take a small hit but some festivals have an 'x number of cans/bottles' limit so they'd not hugely lose out on bar spend. It adds an extra layer of admin trying to implement it, but as Neil said it's just going to be about pushing people over the line to buy tickets by offering anything that might look tempting.

1 hour ago, tarw said:

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

They'd take a small hit but some festivals have an 'x number of cans/bottles' limit so they'd not hugely lose out on bar spend. It adds an extra layer of admin trying to implement it, but as Neil said it's just going to be about pushing people over the line to buy tickets by offering anything that might look tempting.

This is from the Kendal Calling info pack before the festival. Big problem for these festivals

Screenshot_20220807-150732_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

24 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is from the Kendal Calling info pack before the festival. Big problem for these festivals

Screenshot_20220807-150732_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Yet others, like beautiful days are smaller and don't limit personal alcohol in the "arena" area and seem to survive