Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup - rose tinted spectacles. Like racist aunties on Facebook sharing poems that lament the demise of corned beef and unsliced bread, the arch-nostalgists overlook all the positive progress and most of the things they keep banging on about missing still happen.

Everyone seems to think the world was better when they were young. 

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We had rickets, rations and Archaos on the Pyramid Stage roof instead of Macca - but we were happy.

Most of Facebook can be boiled down to:

"We never complained in the 70's. Everything was shit but at least minorities, women and gays knew their place..."

24 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah 20m profit just in ticket sales apprently after all costs.

Says 200k in the article linked here and I think also on one of the docs (can't remember which one for sure though.)

I did find that hard to believe though... 

2 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

The one question that didn't get answered is did they make a profit?

Yea, odd that it was not covered after naking a point if it at several stages. Must have made a bomb. As The Nal says tickets alone were $20m profit. Then merch and that pay per view

8 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

was 200k the number of tickets sold?

No it says they only made $200k after all of the organising costs, additional costs of damage, and fines issued. 

EDIT: although I've just re read the article posted here and can't find it, so must have seen it somewhere else? 

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

No way it was 200k. Dont forget about the 170,000 ish PPV sales that weekend at a minimum of $30 each. 5 millon ish mimimum they wouldve got a good cut from, the CD (went Gold) and DVD (went Platinum) sales after the event too.

Earned a right few quid.

According to wiki

In
$28.8M in ticket sales
$9M - $30M in TV revenue (estimates, no accurate figures available)

Out
$38M Production costs
Then whatever the damages, fines, emergency security costs were... 

They only charged traders $500 per stall!!! (Can you imagine being able to buy a pitch at glasto for $500!!! Think I'd take my leftover stock being looted at the end for that!!!) 

If we're counting Merchandise since the festival though, you're probably right, they'd have earned a hell of a lot (there was actually an accusation that they let a lot of things happen to increase after fest sales of merch... But who knows... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Alvoram

25 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

According to wiki

In
$28.8M in ticket sales
$9M - $30M in TV revenue (estimates, no accurate figures available)

Out
$38M Production costs
Then whatever the damages, fines, emergency security costs were... 

They only charged traders $500 per stall!!! (Can you imagine being able to buy a pitch at glasto for $500!!! Think I'd take my leftover stock being looted at the end for that!!!) 

If we're counting Merchandise since the festival though, you're probably right, they'd have earned a hell of a lot (there was actually an accusation that they let a lot of things happen to increase after fest sales of merch... But who knows... 🤷‍♂️

22 years ago you probably could have gotten a stall pitch at Glastonbury for 500 quid.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

That doesn't tell the whole story though - any food/drink and many other items being sold had to be purchased from their designated supplier (hence the big containers full of stock that were looted and set on fire) - who with a captive market apparently hiked the wholesale prices so high that stalls charging $4 for a bottle of water made less profit on it than a regular store selling the same bottle for $1. And of course it was the traders who took the bulk of the anger and criticism.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

However, the traders were made to buy from a company partially owned by the Woodstock promoter who sold goods at their prices, so the vendors had to buy a $3 water from them to then sell on for $4 to the crowd.

https://www.spin.com/2019/07/woodstock-99-live-report/

*Nevermind, incident beat me to it.

Edited by jump

5 hours ago, incident said:

That doesn't tell the whole story though - any food/drink and many other items being sold had to be purchased from their designated supplier (hence the big containers full of stock that were looted and set on fire) - who with a captive market apparently hiked the wholesale prices so high that stalls charging $4 for a bottle of water made less profit on it than a regular store selling the same bottle for $1. And of course it was the traders who took the bulk of the anger and criticism.

5 hours ago, jump said:

However, the traders were made to buy from a company partially owned by the Woodstock promoter who sold goods at their prices, so the vendors had to buy a $3 water from them to then sell on for $4 to the crowd.

https://www.spin.com/2019/07/woodstock-99-live-report/

*Nevermind, incident beat me to it.

They weren't 'forced' to sell at that really, they wouldn't usually expect to make a whole dollar gp per bottle of water, back in 99, remembering that is sans tax too. That being said, $3 is insane, and next to that, the traders charging $4 doesn't seem unreasonable at all... 

I knew about the traders being forced to use the onsite wholesalers, but I thought the wholesalers were a 3rd party who'd paid for that exclusivity... Had no idea it was the same company. I'd bet that they hadn't included profits from that in the festival total. 🙈 Greedy bastards.

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It’s disappointing that the co-founder of the original ‘69 festival turned out to be far more a bread-head than dead-head, but I wouldn’t wish cancer and death on him

Well sorry if it rubs you the wrong way that Woodstock was the original peace and love festival.  I guess Country Joe & The Fish aren't good enough to headline Glastonbury despite playing to 200,000 people on Yasgur's Farm.