Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

34 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Must admit edgy means something different to me than energy or intensity. Aren't words amazing .

Me too... 

I'd call somebody with energy and intensity 'lively' or even 'hyped.' Edgy where I come from means somebody trying to hard to be down with the latest trends etc... 

Or as urban dictionary puts it... 

something or someone trying too hard to be cool, almost to a point where it's cringe worthy.

Thing is no one has actually said they want "edgy" music. The only people who have been saying the word edgy are the ones mocking twats like Kid Rock or was used by people asking why do others want "edgy" music which then got reused in the reply back to them.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Can you please spell it out then and tell me what "edge" at a gig is? Is it the feeling that there *might* be sexual assaults and violence, but without it actually happening? It keeps getting bandied around in this thread and people keep saying "it doesn't mean that" but no-one has yet explained what it does mean, and I for one am baffled.

Okay. I'll spell it out for you. 

B e i n g  e d g y d o e s n ' t m e a n I a m h o p i n g f o r s e x u a l a s s a u l t s o r c o n d o n i n g s e x u a l a s s a u l t s a t a g i g.

There now you don't have to assume I am hoping for sexual assaults at a festival?!

For what it's worth, if you don't know the difference between edge and non-edgy (I suspect you surely do), check out these vids. Guess which one is edgier. 

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

B e i n g  e d g y d o e s n ' t m e a n I a m h o p i n g f o r s e x u a l a s s a u l t s o r c o n d o n i n g s e x u a l a s s a u l t s a t a g i g.

There now you don't have to assume I am hoping for sexual assaults at a festival?!

For what it's worth, if you don't know the difference between edge and non-edgy (I suspect you surely do), check out these vids. Guess which one is edgier. 

So it means crowd surfing and pogo-ing? You could have just said that.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Great post, this is perfectly illustrates it.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No it's much more than that, I'm sure there must have been dull gigs were someone crowd surfed and the band asked them to jump around a little.

It's not quantifiable, but you'll know when you've experienced it. 

I remember watching Black Star Liner sometime in the 90's on what is now West Holts. It was a lovely sunny afternoon and we were chilling backstage waiting for them to come on. Anyway with about half an hour to go a guy approaches us asking if he can sit with us, he then proceeds to empty some white powder into his lager. When he sees me looking at this his reply was "I like a  bit of salt in my beer".

Anyway they come on stage and the same guy is charging around completely fired up, he's their lead singer.

The gig was brilliantly twisted, verging on the frighting.

Now that was an edgy gig.

Edited by Skip997

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

So to you it just means lively then? 

I've never really thought about the word beyond it's use to describe somebody trying too hard to be cool... So I googled it's various meanings, and this didn't seem to come up anywhere, (although I didn't read every entry on UD!) 

The most common meanings were 'somebody living on the edge' and 'somebody who embraces their darker side' (which is why I guess some people were concerned about it's use in this thread?) And the aforementioned 'trying too hard to be cool.'

English, and English slang is so much fun isn't it? 🙈😂

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

See post above yours for an example of an edgy gig.

You mean the one I quoted? 🙈😂🤷‍♂️

Or the one you wrote about? 

I get what you guys mean now... I'm just trying to explain why some people might have been concerned by the use of that phrase 😉 

Edited by Alvoram

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

You mean the one I quoted? 🙈😂🤷‍♂️

Or the one you wrote about? 

I get what you guys mean now... I'm just trying to explain why some people might have been concerned by the use of that phrase 😉 

The one I wrote about.

The only gig I saw this year which had a edge was Bob Vylan at about 3am on The Truth Stage.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

See post above yours for an example of an edgy gig.

Just shows how we interpret words differently.

Certainly I wouldn't have dancing around at a FLC or prodigy gig edgy. 

Apex twin playing sandpaper maybe with  Chris Cunningham video bleeding into your eyes.

But I get what people are saying now

Anyway off topic really

Watched the Netflix doc and Read the article Pinhead Put up. Shocking stuff. Lots to unpack in there, many things happening that lead to the events of 99. 

22 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You're being so disingenuous. If you really thought everyone here who says they like edginess means that we like sexual assault, I mean, come on, that's ridiculous. 

Edge can me many things; energy, intensity, moshing, slight anarchy, moodiness, rebellion - all from the performer or crowd or both, about not knowing what might happen next (but not sexual assault or battery or incest or murder or terrorism or rape, or other heinous crimes, not that I should have to mention them so you won't jump to conclusions).

It's subjective sure, but edge is more Metallica, less Spice Girls.

32 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

So to you it just means lively then? 

I've never really thought about the word beyond it's use to describe somebody trying too hard to be cool... So I googled it's various meanings, and this didn't seem to come up anywhere, (although I didn't read every entry on UD!) 

The most common meanings were 'somebody living on the edge' and 'somebody who embraces their darker side' (which is why I guess some people were concerned about it's use in this thread?) And the aforementioned 'trying too hard to be cool.'

English, and English slang is so much fun isn't it? 🙈😂

Sure, depending on tone, situation, etc it can mean diff things. I would say lively is obv a part of being edgy, but only one element.

If I was to describe the Fun Lovin' Criminals set, I would say brooding, dark, bordering on dangerous (but obv still looking out for everyone), intense, lively, adult, electric, adrenaline.

***Before anyone gets all Nurse Ratchett on me about the 'bordering on dangerous' comment, I mean more like a rollercoaster, bungee jumping, going white water rafting...

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

I am not sure anyone said that did they?

This was from DeanL, but Old Nobby's Boots implied it a few pages back too.

"Can you please spell it out then and tell me what "edge" at a gig is? Is it the feeling that there *might* be sexual assaults and violence, but without it actually happening?"

9 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This was from DeanL, but Old Nobby's Boots implied it a few pages back too.

"Can you please spell it out then and tell me what "edge" at a gig is? Is it the feeling that there *might* be sexual assaults and violence, but without it actually happening?"

Cheers. Had not seen that. Yes people conflating 2 things. Easy mind on Internet forums

We all have been discussing the meaning of edgy for a few post 😄. We understand each other now mind, we'll I hope we all do

26 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

***Before anyone gets all Nurse Ratchett on me about the 'bordering on dangerous' comment, I mean more like a rollercoaster, bungee jumping, going white water rafting...

There's a huge difference between 'danger' and 'perceived danger' One can be fun, the other can be hell. 

All of those activities you described are fun because of the perceived danger. They seem dangerous, but you're more likely to get hurt when driving to the activity. 

Some of the old mosh pits were creating serious injuries every 30 seconds, (not counting things like sexual assaults,) I'd say that is way beyond perceived danger. 

Nowadays though, it is possible to have that perceived danger feeling, whilst it all remains reasonably safe. Pits nowadays generally consist of shoulder bumping, whilst people can get hurt, it's not common or usually serious. I think (hope) this is what you're after... Not for anybody to get hurt, but for more of that crowd interactivity that gives you that perception of danger and makes a gig more fun, but without crossing that 'too far' line? I can completely get that. 🙂