Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

That's it! Thank you. My friend was working backstage on the Other and said the security were going apeshit about it. Also: what a great great song by SFA. Am now going to dig out my 7" of that. Cheers.

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

Yeah, that was stunning. John Scher came out of the whole thing looking like the biggest arsehole involved, whereas Lang just seemed naive and unable to replicate the success of the original, which I doubt he had much to do with anyway.

It's a shame the doc ended with just the news of Lang's death, and no mention of the three people who died at his festival or the statistics of the number of people assaulted or treated for injuries.

Yeah - I read something later on last night that said on the Saturday night, they were treating 125 new people an hour in the medical tent. As an NHS nurse in one of the biggest acute trusts in the country, 125 injured people an hour just blows my mind 

3 hours ago, henry bear said:

1999 during SFA’s set. Drove through the crowd and got fairly near the stage, by when it was covered in SFA fans throwing shapes.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2056563344638199&id=10385299198&_rdr

Friends held a day festival a few years back and the land owner (with one leg) drove a quad into a dark packed dance tent fucked. 

I went and found my mates who were watching a band and said 'you are going to have sort that tw.. out, can't be driving a quad into a tent full of people'. 

There's another festival on the same land in a couple of weeks 😬

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

That's it! Thank you. My friend was working backstage on the Other and said the security were going apeshit about it. Also: what a great great song by SFA. Am now going to dig out my 7" of that. Cheers.

A mate of mine delibrately drove a van into the middle of a crowd at Glastonbury, although to the best of my memory it was the Orb not SFA.

Sadly he's no longer with us.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

It's a great song. When they played it live back then it mutated into a 20+ minute techno wig-out. One of my favourite ever Glasto sets 🤩

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Ta, seems sky documentaries have put them together. Sky did a good documentary on the KLF as well. 

The three episodes are "Trainwreck", on Netflix (which inspired this thread).

There is a different documentary on Sky that was by HBO/for the Music Box series "Woodstock '99: Peace, Love and Rage" which is a one-off 2 hour doc.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, balti-pie said:

Its an oft-repeated and glaringly obvious point perhaps, but there's only one thing to blame for rape: and that's rapists.

Not drunkenness, access to drugs, hot weather, 'heavy' music, bottles of water costing too much, none of that turns anyone into being a sex offender.  

No, but there's something to be said for creating an environment where they feel they can get away with it. The more aggressive the atmosphere, the more "trouble" going on elsewhere to distract away - all that stuff factors into an environment where people start to think they can get away with it.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:22 AM, gooner1990 said:

A good friend of mine (who's English) lived in the US for over 20 years as his Dad had a business out in California from the mid 80s-early 00s.  He's lived back here since 2006 but did a lot of festivals in the US from about 1997 - 2005, he said (and I'm only going on what he said to me) is that Americans, for whatever reason just can't seem to behave at festivals, he said the Vans Warped Tour was always marred with problems in campsites and promotors just trying to squeeze as much money out of punters as possible. 

He's never done Glastonbury with us (although his now wife has) but he's been to Download a few times and came to Exit festival in Serbia with us in 2008, he couldn't believe how well behaved people were given his past experiences.

My first Glastonbury was 2004 too, I think toilets at Reading were much worse back then tbh.

Going by my only experience of Download being a day in 2019 (Tool and Pumpkins) it does have a pretty relaxed and unintimidating atmosphere.

But we've had problems with violence at festivals over here too. Remember the reason Leeds is at its current site is because there were riots every year at the old site and it had to be moved.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:59 PM, jump said:

It seems like an easy target to keep blaming the "edgy" bands myself, I know Glasto doesn't embrace heavy music but it has started coming across as small minded attitude to music on here and ignoring the actual problems. Like for as many times as folk keep repeatedly saying you don't mean heavy you actually mean white male privilege bands you had Rage Against The Machine who's most prominent members aren't white and feature socially conscious lyrics they were burning flags on stage and also Killing In The Name lyrics was being chanted as the riots happened or the non-heavy Fat Boy Slim who whilst he played someone was being raped in a stolen van in the crowd.

There's a big difference between someone like Korn who just want to play some heavy shit and someone like Motley Crue who do celebrate c**tish attitude towards women but have nowhere near the intensity of a Korn performance which is what I miss from mainstream rock music.

Any time someone on this board is discussing someone they don't like who is a white male, especially musical acts, they always feel the need to mention that they're white men as if it's some kind of negative personality trait.

It's really weird.

25 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Here's a good report made at the time. Scarcely believable...

https://www.spin.com/2019/07/woodstock-99-live-report/

From the article “Vendors were also at the mercy of Ogden Corporation, the firm that partially owns Metropolitan Entertainment (which is co-owned by promoter John Scher) and set the prices for soda and water. According to vendor Frank Cristiano, water sold by Ogden to the subcontracted vendors cost a whopping $70 a case, more than $3 a bottle. Fans paid $4.” Shit like that should have been on the documentary. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2022 at 2:42 PM, Skip997 said:

There's edge and there's nasty incitement, not the same things.

I'm specifically taking about the music having an edge, which is sadly missing from rock bands these days, with one notable exception.

I seriously can't understand the giant assumptions people make sometimes. It's like you have to spell things out and include all possible situations.

Just because you want some edge to a gig, doesn't mean you're supporting sexual assualt and violence.

Thought the documentary was poor overall, but there was some pretty astonishing footage from the archive (both of the live performances and the crowd).

Didn't even attempt to interrogate why the crowd demographic behaved like this or why there was such an angry, horrid strain of toxic masculinity amongst young men in the 90s that dovetailed with what was going on in the sort of music that was booked.

Watched this and then went and watched the Sky one... Bunch of absolute animals is all I have to say really... They really did purpose design a festival for the scum of the earth at that time didn't they? Then made the situation worse by treating everyone so poorly, which meant the masses of decent kids were easily caught up in the storm whipped up by those ring leading scumbags. 

18 hours ago, DeanoL said:

No, but there's something to be said for creating an environment where they feel they can get away with it. The more aggressive the atmosphere, the more "trouble" going on elsewhere to distract away - all that stuff factors into an environment where people start to think they can get away with it.

Exactly, there's multiple moments in both documentaries where kids say things along the lines of 'Normal rules outside don't apply here, this is woodstock.' Those kids clearly already have it in them, Balti is right, but the event created an environment where they thought it was acceptable behaviour. Almost like they believed that girls had gone there knowing it would happen and so it was ok with them. 😡

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I seriously can't understand the giant assumptions people make sometimes. It's like you have to spell things out and include all possible situations.

Just because you want some edge to a gig, doesn't mean you're supporting sexual assualt and violence.

Can you please spell it out then and tell me what "edge" at a gig is? Is it the feeling that there *might* be sexual assaults and violence, but without it actually happening? It keeps getting bandied around in this thread and people keep saying "it doesn't mean that" but no-one has yet explained what it does mean, and I for one am baffled.

26 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Can you please spell it out then and tell me what "edge" at a gig is? Is it the feeling that there *might* be sexual assaults and violence, but without it actually happening? It keeps getting bandied around in this thread and people keep saying "it doesn't mean that" but no-one has yet explained what it does mean, and I for one am baffled.

It's a live act with lots of energy and intensity which transfers to the crowd, think about when you see The Prodigy for example. It's nothing to do with there might be sexual assaults going on in the crowd.

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jump said:

It's a live act with lots of energy and intensity which transfer to the crowd, think about when you see Prodigy for example. It's nothing to do with their might be sexual assaults in the crowd.

Someone who gets it.

13 minutes ago, jump said:

It's a live act with lots of energy and intensity which transfers to the crowd, think about when you see The Prodigy for example. It's nothing to do with there might be sexual assaults going in the crowd.

Can you give some other examples of acts you think have "energy" and "intensity"? - because I think that applies to a lot of acts that you'd disagree had an "edge".

15 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I was specifically referring to the act having an edge.

Far too many current guitar based acts seem tame, safe and formulaic.

I don't disagree with that but Gerry Cinnamon can still be tame, safe, formulaic and put on an energetic "edgy" performance.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:30 PM, henry bear said:

1999 during SFA’s set. Drove through the crowd and got fairly near the stage, by when it was covered in SFA fans throwing shapes.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2056563344638199&id=10385299198&_rdr

My first Glasto and I was watching from back of the field. Glasto legend is that it was Jarvis Cocker in the van, and he drove across the field to a karaoke tent and sang Saturday night by Wigfield. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Can you give some other examples of acts you think have "energy" and "intensity"? - because I think that applies to a lot of acts that you'd disagree had an "edge".

Must admit edgy means something different to me than energy or intensity. Aren't words amazing .