Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

3 hours ago, NoBuses said:

Funny it tries to blame fight club and american pie as the difference between the '69 woodstock and the '99 and doesn't once mention the unchecked capitalism 

I thought that they cited the two films to illustrate the attitudes at the time rather than blame them. Or that’s how I took it anyway

On 8/4/2022 at 9:31 AM, cheakypeak said:

This is on my watch list so interested to hear other people's feedback.  Apparently the Music Box doc about Woodstock '99 (on NowTV/Sky) is a better watch than this new series but I need to choose one or the other!

Ooo is that one now available in the UK? I knew HBO had made one on Woodstock 99 but was not aware if we could have it. Similar to their documentary on the clusterfuck that was the 2000 US election.

I watched all the Netflix one in one hit. It was very fascinating. I was vaguely aware of some of the madness that broke out there without ever having really watched footage from it but the scale it devolved on the Sunday was quite something.

7 hours ago, moogster said:

Haven't seen it yet but just read a review talking about "trenchmouth" as a result from toilet contaminated water. I am at work and do not want to google it. But I want to know.

Put it this way - hearing it described by the person who described having that condition made me feel very uncomfortable indeed.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Ooo is that one now available in the UK? I knew HBO had made one on Woodstock 99 but was not aware if we could have it. Similar to their documentary on the clusterfuck that was the 2000 US election.

I watched all the Netflix one in one hit. It was very fascinating. I was vaguely aware of some of the madness that broke out there without ever having really watched footage from it but the scale it devolved on the Sunday was quite something.

It's on Now TV (and presumably Sky's on demand library), and has been since last year.  You might need to search on Music Box to find it, it's part of a series of that name. Most HBO stuff is on Now/Sky through a deal they have. 

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Havent gotten to this yet but the HBO version likely wraps this all up much better in its 2 hour film version which came out over a year ago. The thing with that one is you lot didnt really have access to it, or many people. So it came and went and now Netflix thinks expanding on all of it is a better way to get some buzz.

The Netflix one is certainly having an immediate impact, it's currently No. 4 TV show on UK Netflix. 

As said above, the HBO one has been available here since it came out, and a lot of people have access to it, but it was buried by Now/Sky.  I'd been searching for it for ages before I found out, as I'd heard a podcast about it.  Turns out Woodstock 99 or similar wasn't recognised by their search function, you had to search on Music Box (which also has other stuff in the series worth watching by the way, like the Alanis Morrisette doc). 

Edited by WFD

12 hours ago, WFD said:

It's on Now TV (and presumably Sky's on demand library), and has been since last year.  You might need to search on Music Box to find it, it's part of a series of that name. Most HBO stuff is on Now/Sky through a deal they have. 

Yup, found it. Busy later today but think I'll give it a watch tomorrow.

Edited by charlierc

14 hours ago, justanotheronethen said:

The belligerent denial and supposed naivety of the organisers of Woodstock 99 is sickening. Greedy bastards.

13 hours ago, moogster said:

I can't believe the words that came out of the mouths of the organizers. Serious case of trenchbrain.

Agreed with both. That part was genuinely insane that so much of what went wrong was on them and literally everyone but them could see it.

Wasn't there also these guys making an attempt at a Woodstock 50 in 2019 only for that to go nowhere?

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Watched the first one tonight.

Main takeaway was a reminder of much I fucking loathe frat bros.

Vile culture. Tbh I watched all 3 episodes and came away thinking everyone involved got what they deserved. My idea of hell being there.

Struggling to remember anything approaching that attitude on these shores,pockets of football crowds in the 80s were pretty lairy but nothing compared to that.

2 hours ago, Digi said:

Just watching the 3rd part. Did I really just hear that rape comment correctly about any city of the same size? What a knobhead

He is just trying to shift blame, maybe if there were more qualified security it wouldn’t take place. My family are American and my uncle went to Woodstock 99. He said police were non-existent until the Sunday night when state troopers arrived. Maybe if more qualified security and police were on site this wouldn’t have happened. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Digi said:

Just watching the 3rd part. Did I really just hear that rape comment correctly about any city of the same size? What a knobhead

Yeah, that was stunning. John Scher came out of the whole thing looking like the biggest arsehole involved, whereas Lang just seemed naive and unable to replicate the success of the original, which I doubt he had much to do with anyway.

It's a shame the doc ended with just the news of Lang's death, and no mention of the three people who died at his festival or the statistics of the number of people assaulted or treated for injuries.

Where do you start with that shit show? 
For a start, someone decided that holding Woodstock on a military air-base was a good move! The irony.

All that tarmac was grim. 
The music was a bit shit (imo). 

Sponsors everywhere! Looked like the ‘beer’ was Budweiser or Budweiser. A lot of the attendees seemed to be aggressive narcissistic idiots that really didn’t give a shit about anything. Although to be honest I can kind of see why they reacted the way they did. I don’t condone it but the organisers deserved what they got. 

Taking everything off the punters, including water. w*nk. That happens over here though unfortunately. Due to greed. 

Someone literally got Trench Mouth. Trench Mouth!!!! Please don’t ever moan about the long-drops again.

That one guy, one of the organisers, with the bald head. He was a fucking T-wat! 

p.s Fred Bizkit, whatever his name is, is a bell-end. 

p.p.s. Pay-per-view 😂

p.p.p.s. Greatest thing to happen in music EVER though. 

Edited by PassingCloud

On 8/5/2022 at 4:03 PM, jparx said:

Oh yeah, blaming the acts is an easy crutch. It’s the video games inciting violence argument again. Yes there are specific cases where acts directly egg it on, but they’re far outweighed by the non c**tish behaviour. 

As with anything, the events at that festival were driven a combination of all factors, but ultimately people have to take responsibility for their actions. 

I still think artists have influence tho. Just look at all the singers making polituical statements these days that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, yet it's lapped up as gospel by their fans.

Whenever I bring this subject up with friends (because I dislike using performances as a way of driving an agenda - any political right or left, that is), my friends always, ALWAYS, retort that the singers/performers have a platform for good and they should be using that platform to get their message across.

So, although in some regards, I think that's true, I believe it's isolated to their diehard fans. So when you're at a gig and the lead singer is telling you to break stuff, perhaps for a lot of people that sounds like a good idea.

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

p.p.s. Pay-per-view 😂

Yeah really set the stage for Napster later that year. The music industry was creaming it in the 90s with CDs. 18-20 quid for an album etc. A shitty undurable disc with a cheap insert. A crumb of toast could scratch it. Unlovable stuff. 

Which year was it that there was a van driving near the Other stage and the security were getting very very stressed about it? Mid 90s? I want to say 95. That was the year of the shooting too, right? Or was that 94?

Edited by Mardy

28 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Which year was it that there was a van driving near the Other stage and the security were getting very very stressed about it? Mid 90s? I want to say 95. That was the year of the shooting too, right? Or was that 94?

1999 during SFA’s set. Drove through the crowd and got fairly near the stage, by when it was covered in SFA fans throwing shapes.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2056563344638199&id=10385299198&_rdr

• Like 1