Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

50 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Also, as the water supplies were inadequate, and people were washing in the drinking water tubs, those desperate for a drink hacked into the water pipe, creating a sea of mud. So they were all diving into the mud, without realising much of it was the waste leaking out of the toilets.

Yep this is covered in Ep3 I think....with some very unpleasant results.

4 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Protecting a Left-Wing Pres vs attacking a Right-Wing Conservative is not the same, you're right. Never said they're the same in that regard. I wonder how much protection Corbyn/Starmer/Biden would get as PM/Pres, prob a lot. If you're politics fits and all that.

Both immature shithousery tho.

Are we calling Bill Clinton a left-wing president now? Oof.

Saw the doc. Disappointing there was no real attempt to investigate the culture behind the behaviour there beyond blaming it all on Bill Clinton and Fight Club, which is laughable.

And all those saying 'yeah, but there was no water, treat people like animals, they act like animals' etc - really? So that excuses the numerous sexual assaults committed, because people were forced to pay extortionate prices for water? What a complete load of nonsense. Sounds a lot like the disgusting comments from the money-grabbing dickhead in charge of the festival who essentially said 'well, the women took their own clothes off and chose to crowd surf, what did they expect?'

The footage and photos of women being groped and treated in a beyond inappropriate way are really shocking.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Every trailer I've seen of this event makes it sound like an absolute shitshow. The comparison to the original Woodstock was in name only.

The HBO trailer is pretty funny tho trying to connect "young white men" and the situation of 2021, via Reddit. Seems a bit racist/far-fetched/CNN-bullshit, to me, given the horrible conditions of the festival and the outrageous searches taking people's water or snacks off them as they arrived.

You treat people like animals in a pen, they're gonna start acting like animals in a pen.

Sure, it was the festival's fault that many, many women were assaulted. That was DEFINITELY due to the conditions and nothing to do with the men who committed them.

Treat people like animals in pen, they're gonna start r*ping women.

Good grief.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

And all those saying 'yeah, but there was no water, treat people like animals, they act like animals' etc - really? So that excuses the numerous sexual assaults committed, because people were forced to pay extortionate prices for water? What a complete load of nonsense. Sounds a lot like the disgusting comments from the money-grabbing dickhead in charge of the festival who essentially said 'well, the women took their own clothes off and chose to crowd surf, what did they expect?'

The footage and photos of women being groped and treated in a beyond inappropriate way are really shocking.

100% this - it was so depressing - both the behaviour and the lack of in-depth explanation for it.  

Obviously I was shocked that Fred Durst is a dick - I really had no idea.

2 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Are we calling Bill Clinton a left-wing president now? Oof.

Saw the doc. Disappointing there was no real attempt to investigate the culture behind the behaviour there beyond blaming it all on Bill Clinton and Fight Club, which is laughable.

Yeah, glad someone has said this. Also, bit surprised at the number of comments in this thread lamenting the loss of edge from bands and shows nowadays, when we’re talking about a festival where women were raped and molested in the crowd. Comes across tone deaf, to say the least.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Also, bit surprised at the number of comments in this thread lamenting the loss of edge from bands and shows nowadays

There's edge and there's nasty incitement, not the same things.

I'm specifically taking about the music having an edge, which is sadly missing from rock bands these days, with one notable exception.

47 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah, glad someone has said this. Also, bit surprised at the number of comments in this thread lamenting the loss of edge from bands and shows nowadays, when we’re talking about a festival where women were raped and molested in the crowd. Comes across tone deaf, to say the least.

It seems like an easy target to keep blaming the "edgy" bands myself, I know Glasto doesn't embrace heavy music but it has started coming across as small minded attitude to music on here and ignoring the actual problems. Like for as many times as folk keep repeatedly saying you don't mean heavy you actually mean white male privilege bands you had Rage Against The Machine who's most prominent members aren't white and feature socially conscious lyrics they were burning flags on stage and also Killing In The Name lyrics was being chanted as the riots happened or the non-heavy Fat Boy Slim who whilst he played someone was being raped in a stolen van in the crowd.

There's a big difference between someone like Korn who just want to play some heavy shit and someone like Motley Crue who do celebrate c**tish attitude towards women but have nowhere near the intensity of a Korn performance which is what I miss from mainstream rock music.

Edited by jump

I've only seen the first episode so not got to the assaults yet. 

I think it is about the culture and the people there. 

Really can't point fingers at heavy music though because festivals which have heavy lineups happen every year without these issues and at the other end of the spectrum I've been at latitude in a year where there were 2 serious sexual assults. 

It will be a combination of things but essentially very bad guys doing terrible things. 

• Like 1

The Netflix and HBO docs are both worth a watch just for the General Melchett type attitude of the organiser John Scher. 

"All things considered, I’d say that there would probably be as many or more rapes in any sized city of that… but it wasn’t anything that gained enough momentum so that it caused any on-site issues, other than, of course, the women it happened to”.

Edited by The Nal

Its an oft-repeated and glaringly obvious point perhaps, but there's only one thing to blame for rape: and that's rapists.

Not drunkenness, access to drugs, hot weather, 'heavy' music, bottles of water costing too much, none of that turns anyone into being a sex offender.  

• Upvote 8

55 minutes ago, jump said:

It seems like an easy target to keep blaming the "edgy" bands myself, I know Glasto doesn't embrace heavy music but it has started coming across as small minded attitude to music on here and ignoring the actual problems. Like for as many times as folk keep repeatedly saying you don't mean heavy you actually mean white male privilege bands you had Rage Against The Machine who's most prominent members aren't white and feature socially conscious lyrics they were burning flags on stage and also Killing In The Name lyrics was being chanted as the riots happened or the non-heavy Fat Boy Slim who whilst he played someone was being raped in a stolen van in the crowd.

There's a big difference between someone like Korn who just want to play some heavy shit and someone like Motley Crue who do celebrate c**tish attitude towards women but have nowhere near the intensity of a Korn performance which is what I miss from mainstream rock music.

I could be wrong here but I don't think the comment you quoted was blaming the music. Is anybody blaming the music? I'm not sure they are. I took it more to mean that they were surprised that people are nostalgic for more chaotic/edgy times, when the reality of what actually happened at Woodstock is far more grim and serious, and so conflating the two seems a bit tone deaf.

I'm certainly not blaming the music, in fact the opposite, I'm saying that I find it distasteful when everything else is blamed for why those men acted in such a disgusting way.

Having said all that, Kid Rock is a first class c*** and his comments are certainly in line with the societal issues of the day which are what led to the inexcusable behaviour.

59 minutes ago, jump said:

Oh yeah, blaming the acts is an easy crutch. It’s the video games inciting violence argument again. Yes there are specific cases where acts directly egg it on, but they’re far outweighed by the non c**tish behaviour. 

As with anything, the events at that festival were driven a combination of all factors, but ultimately people have to take responsibility for their actions. 

7 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

I could be wrong here but I don't think the comment you quoted was blaming the music. Is anybody blaming the music? I'm not sure they are. I took it more to mean that they were surprised that people are nostalgic for more chaotic/edgy times, when the reality of what actually happened at Woodstock is far more grim and serious, and so conflating the two seems a bit tone deaf.

I'm certainly not blaming the music, in fact the opposite, I'm saying that I find it distasteful when everything else is blamed for why those men acted in such a disgusting way.

Having said all that, Kid Rock is a first class c*** and his comments are certainly in line with the societal issues of the day which are what led to the inexcusable behaviour.

Yep. I think @jump was just making a general point though, all good!

Kid Rock probably sums up the dickhead attendees of that festival quite nicely, and there’s probably a correlation between those people and the current Trumpian attitude in the US. Not too paint with too broad a brush, but I fully expect most of those people to have grown up to be the same climate change deniers/stop the count type morons.

Edited by jparx

2 hours ago, moogster said:

Haven't seen it yet but just read a review talking about "trenchmouth" as a result from toilet contaminated water. I am at work and do not want to google it. But I want to know.

Infection of the gums. Painful

Not that I have had it, just googled 

Edited by fred quimby

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Yep. I think @jump was just making a general point though, all good!

Kid Rock probably sums up the dickhead attendees of that festival quite nicely, and there’s probably a correlation between those people and the current Trumpian attitude in the US. Not too paint with too broad a brush, but I fully expect most of those people to have grown up to be the same climate change deniers/stop the count type morons.

Hell yeah

Kid Rock to Headline Donald Trump Rally in Michigan

Havent gotten to this yet but the HBO version likely wraps this all up much better in its 2 hour film version which came out over a year ago. The thing with that one is you lot didnt really have access to it, or many people. So it came and went and now Netflix thinks expanding on all of it is a better way to get some buzz.

I remember watching a majority of it go down on the pay per view and Mtv highlights. And yeah, Ive been in pits like that and nowadays it would never be viable for people to even be that way cause its so rare. Hard for the you g ones to think how anyone survived.