Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

3 part Netflix documentary about the Woodstock '99 festival.

Just watched the first episode. Interesting to see what happens when you try and run a festival with really only the intention of making money. 

It was also interesting comparing the 99 Woodstock lineup to the glasto lineup. Not that much crossover but a few bands that played both that year like Bush, Hole, Fatboy Slim and the Chemical Brothers. 

I think as the festival goes on the doc will get heavier, from memory it was carnage on day 3.

The Pay per view tv footage is pretty gross as well. 

I remember a bit about it at the time but jeez it looks bad. 

One of my friends sent a link to it last night said it was an interesting watch.

Around that time I was quite into my rock/metal music and used to read 'Kerrang!' magazine, I'm fairly sure it was mentioned that after Limp Bizkit playing and Fred Durst encouraging people to misbehave was when it really took a turn for a worse and that the food was very overpriced, also there was no free water in the camping areas and you had to pay for it from the vendors.

45 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Just watched the first episode. Interesting to see what happens when you try and run a festival with really only the intention of making money. 

It was also interesting comparing the 99 Woodstock lineup to the glasto lineup. Not that much crossover but a few bands that played both that year like Bush, Hole, Fatboy Slim and the Chemical Brothers. 

I think as the festival goes on the doc will get heavier, from memory it was carnage on day 3.

Watched the first part and half of the 2nd last night. Just shows how wild people where at times back then without social media, smartphones, etc. 

The festival didnt even have a litter picking team so went the punters walked in for day 2 and were walking through filth that's when the shit started to hit the fan, the footage of them hurling bottles at Wyclef is insane. As one of the people who worked there said "if you dont look after the festival goers why should they look after you"

41 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I think that hits the nail on the head. 
If you confiscate water on the way in and then profiteer when stocks run low you are asking for trouble. 
Having said that I don’t think Durst helped things!

A good documentary worth a watch. 

Makes me think about the discussion in the overcrowding thread about how the drug of choice of the majority affects things. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, swede said:

Watched the first part and half of the 2nd last night. Just shows how wild people where at times back then without social media, smartphones, etc. 

The festival didnt even have a litter picking team so went the punters walked in for day 2 and were walking through filth that's when the shit started to hit the fan, the footage of them hurling bottles at Wyclef is insane. As one of the people who worked there said "if you dont look after the festival goers why should they look after you"

I think festivals in general are a lot more cleaner and sanitation is a lot better....I think back to the first Reading I went to in 1999 and I don't think people would put up with the levels of rubbish lying about and poor sanitation in the campsites these days that I saw back then.

• Upvote 1

I had already seen the HBO one - Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage - so the same story. Prefer the HBO one but both are good. I was in America that summer, didnt go but the idea was floated, but hung around with douchebags like the attendees all summer. Got tiring quickly. Couple of people I knew went to it. Big Limp Bizkit guys.

"PARTY PARTY YEAHHHH" etc and then theyre shitfaced on 4 beers.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I think festivals in general are a lot more cleaner and sanitation is a lot better....I think back to the first Reading I went to in 1999 and I don't think people would put up with the levels of rubbish lying about and poor sanitation in the campsites these days that I saw back then.

My first Glasto was 04 and I don't think people would put up with toilets like that now.

Edited by The Nal

The Netflix one is fine but I've seen better ones about it. The best retrospective I've found was on a podcast but I can't remember it's name.

As shit as Woodstock must have been for people and as idiotic as it to say well heavy music made them do it after watching the series I do miss bands having a sense of danger to them from those days even if it is Limp Bizkit. Watching Sam Fender even with a saxaphone solo is dull!

Edited by jump

2 minutes ago, jump said:

I do miss bands having a sense of danger to them from those days even if it is Limp Bizkit . Watching Sam Fender even with a saxaphone solo is dull!

Sadly it's the way things are going.

Not just the acts, but the ticket holders as well.

Not seen this yet but I've seen the HBO(?) film that came out a year or two ago and that was fascinating. The whole male culture around it they go into was particularly eye opening.

Some of the live footage in that film though, I watched it on a plane and when Korn broke into Blind we got turbulance.

• Upvote 2

Don't understand this "I miss the sense of danger" stuff. I've been to plenty of heavy gigs in my life, been in plenty of pits or whatever but never have I thought to myself "I wish someone would start a fire now, this is all too predictable."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Perhaps Glastonbury isn't the festival for you anymore?

Just a thought. 

From my point of view, and a lot of the long-term crew, Glastonbury is an annual "family" gathering. It's about more than the bands etc.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I had already seen the HBO one - Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage - so the same story. Prefer the HBO one but both are good. I was in America that summer, didnt go but the idea was floated, but hung around with douchebags like the attendees all summer. Got tiring quickly. Couple of people I knew went to it. Big Limp Bizkit guys.

My first Glasto was 04 and I don't think people would put up with toilets like that now.

A good friend of mine (who's English) lived in the US for over 20 years as his Dad had a business out in California from the mid 80s-early 00s.  He's lived back here since 2006 but did a lot of festivals in the US from about 1997 - 2005, he said (and I'm only going on what he said to me) is that Americans, for whatever reason just can't seem to behave at festivals, he said the Vans Warped Tour was always marred with problems in campsites and promotors just trying to squeeze as much money out of punters as possible. 

He's never done Glastonbury with us (although his now wife has) but he's been to Download a few times and came to Exit festival in Serbia with us in 2008, he couldn't believe how well behaved people were given his past experiences.

My first Glastonbury was 2004 too, I think toilets at Reading were much worse back then tbh.

20 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Don't understand this "I miss the sense of danger" stuff. I've been to plenty of heavy gigs in my life, been in plenty of pits or whatever but never have I thought to myself "I wish someone would start a fire now, this is all too predictable."

No one is saying I wish the band would tell me to start a fire now. It's more of the decline of heavy music and bands that have a rock and roll swagger in the mainstream. Like Download just had KISS headline as that's how desperate they are for acts, whilst they are still some heavy acts coming through they aren't breaking into the mainstream the same way as Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit, Korn etc did and alot of the bigger heavy acts in recent years which are breaking through into the mainstream like Ghost or You Me At Six are fairly tame in comparison.

Edited by jump

2 minutes ago, jump said:

It's more of the decline of heavy music and bands that have a rock and roll swagger in the mainstream.

Agree with this.

Not that they're mainstream, but the only band I'm aware of that have 'a rock and roll swagger" are Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

A good friend of mine (who's English) lived in the US for over 20 years as his Dad had a business out in California from the mid 80s-early 00s.  He's lived back here since 2006 but did a lot of festivals in the US from about 1997 - 2005, he said (and I'm only going on what he said to me) is that Americans, for whatever reason just can't seem to behave at festivals, he said the Vans Warped Tour was always marred with problems in campsites and promotors just trying to squeeze as much money out of punters as possible. 

Well they were selling water at the original Woodstock too!

But yeah, the frat house American types are the worst. Spring Break mode all the time

These tossers

18 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

From my point of view, and a lot of the long-term crew, Glastonbury is an annual "family" gathering. It's about more than the bands etc.

you complain about the acts and the ticket holders though ... pretty hard to keep away from ? maybe book a camping holiday in a field for the crew so you dont need to be concerned about those things 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe book a camping holiday in a field for the crew so you dont need to be concerned about those things 

Clearly you don't understand and probably never will.

As I've suspected for a while, this forum ain't for me, it's a different world.

I'm out.

Edited by Skip997

45 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Yes you will never hear me complain about the loos at Glastonbury. I dealt with 90s festivals shitboxes.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Not seen this yet but I've seen the HBO(?) film that came out a year or two ago and that was fascinating. The whole male culture around it they go into was particularly eye opening.

Some of the live footage in that film though, I watched it on a plane and when Korn broke into Blind we got turbulance.

The HBO one is the one that others are referring to as the Now/Sky one, it was produced by The Ringer (podcasting network who do a lot of music / film / TV / sports podcasts) as part of their Music Box series.

The Netflix one largely covered the same ground, it just has different interviewees and behind the scenes footage.  The HBO one featured a moving "storyline" about someone who died in the crowd, which isn't in the Netflix one.

There was (or is, as they keep adding to it) a lengthy podcast series about Woodstock 99 (not by The Ringer, just two guys who are interested), they do a lot of "survivor stories", and people keep discovering it and getting in touch to be interviewed, hence they keep adding to it.  They range from stoners who just had the time of their lives, to women talking openly about the constant threat of sexual assault, and in several cases, actually being assaulted.

47 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I have to admit I took a photo of the screen with subtitles on when they said in horror that "some people had like three or four beers by like 11am" and put it on our gig/festival-going chat group for everyone to laugh at.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We had a big group that went to Leeds Fest from 2005-2008. I remember in 2008 the campsite looking like a warzone on the Sunday night/Monday morning. Huge fires and canister explosions everywhere, we all sort of knew leaving that was the last one for us as a group. 

I went back camping with just my partner in 2011 and the set up felt dated and worn out, I've been a few times with day tickets, getting the shuttle bus in from 2015-2019 and have loved treating it as just a gig with no camping and how different it felt to 2011. Took the kids in 2019 to see Billie Eilish and Twenty One Pilots and they loved it. 

1 hour ago, jump said:

The Netflix one is fine but I've seen better ones about it. The best retrospective I've found was on a podcast but I can't remember it's name.

As shit as Woodstock must have been for people and as idiotic as it to say well heavy music made them do it after watching the series I do miss bands having a sense of danger to them from those days even if it is Limp Bizkit. Watching Sam Fender even with a saxaphone solo is dull!

More Sam Fender and less Limp Bizkit? More Glastonbury 2022 and less Woodstock 99? 

Sounds like my kind of world TBH.

• Upvote 1