Shambala 2022

Skip997

On 8/2/2022 at 6:47 PM, Skip997 said:

Some of you surely must be going to the best small/medium sized festival I've been to.

I am going for the 2nd time. Last attended in 2016 and really enjoyed it.

Hoping this nice warm weather sticks around as a non-welly/walking boot festival is always better in my mind.

As someone who got to see Sister Sledge & Anoushka Shankar headline last time I went, I have to say I am a tad disappointed with the line-up as recognised barely any names. But maybe that is more telling of my musical taste than their line-up.

Also I am not naive enough to not realise that Covid cancellations will also have had a huge hit on budgets for bookings and the like. So fingers crossed I find something new on the line-up to enjoy long after the festival has finished.

Overall really like their general message and ethos which is one of the main reasons for returning.

1 minute ago, gherring8 said:

I have to say I am a tad disappointed with the line-up as recognised barely any names. But maybe that is more telling of my musical taste than their line-up.

I don't recognise much either, but I fully trust Shambala and I'm sure I'll find some new (to me) stuff I really like.

Biggest disappointment for me - Kamikaze seems to have gone.

I went for the first time when it was "Shambino" during Covid.

It was a much smaller festival, but it was good. You could really feel there was a lot missing though, and something wasn't quite right. Really intrigued to experience the full thing for the first time.

I have semi-retired / almost fully retired from festivals. However, I have just put my hat in the ring to 'win' two tickets to Shambala by donating £5 to charity. If it's a win if I win, and if it's a lose,  somebody else wins - result.

You've got to love the good folk behind the festival. It was the first festival that I went to that was 'green' beyond compare, at that time. Way ahead of the game.

Anyway, that's enough of the sycophantic behaviour.

It is a great festival though.

Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It was the first festival that I went to that was 'green' beyond compare, at that time. Way ahead of the game.

It's still way ahead of the game and constantly working on improvements.

By far the best small medium festival I've been to.

I was becoming very jaded with festivals, fully beleiving that they'd all "lost the plot" and no one had any idea what a festival should look like.

Then many years ago I took a chance on Shambala and was gob-smacked, they really understand.

2 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Am I the only one who’s noticed they’ve updated their alcohol allowance from ‘personal consumption’ to 8 cans per person.

whilst simultaneously complaining that festivals are too expensive and we should be donating money to let other people afford to go. 

Why drink cans? Shambala used to have great beers in the bars. 

Q. Can I bring my own alcohol?
A. Yes, you can bring an amount ‘suitable for personal use’ and at the discretion of the Shambala team. By way of a guide 8 cans of beer (or cider) and half of a litre of spirits per person in your group would be acceptable. Please do remember no glass is permitted onsite, glass found during entry searches will be confiscated and not returned.

Is this a strict rule or as stated just a guideline.

It could well be a way to prevent people selling alcohol, although I've never seen that at Shambala. More likely a way of increasing bar sales.

It'll be interesting to see, although it doesn't really affect me as I don't drink alcohol and as crew am very unlikely to be searched based on previous festivals.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Is this a strict rule or as stated just a guideline.

It could well be a way to prevent people selling alcohol, although I've never seen that at Shambala. More likely a way of increasing bar sales.

It'll be interesting to see, although it doesn't really affect me as I don't drink alcohol and as crew am very unlikely to be searched based on previous festivals.

its probably to get local licencing to back off, they think cans are used to enable underage drinking.

16 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

You could say that of any festival

Nah, you couldn't. There's still a lot of festivals out there with genuinely awful beer selections at rip off prices - any festival run by Live Nation for a start*.

Shambala generally has a smallish selection of very good beers at an average price - it's nowhere near the range or as well priced as Bearded Theory, but it's certainly a decent enough offering that it somewhat negates the benefits of bringing cans.

*with the exception of the Kasbah at IOW last year which had some very nice beers. Like every other beer on site it was still expensive though hence people brought cans in to the extent that security gave up and let them after the first day or two.

2 hours ago, incident said:

Nah, you couldn't. There's still a lot of festivals out there with genuinely awful beer selections at rip off prices - any festival run by Live Nation for a start*.

Shambala generally has a smallish selection of very good beers at an average price - it's nowhere near the range or as well priced as Bearded Theory, but it's certainly a decent enough offering that it somewhat negates the benefits of bringing cans.

*with the exception of the Kasbah at IOW last year which had some very nice beers. Like every other beer on site it was still expensive though hence people brought cans in to the extent that security gave up and let them after the first day or two.

Let’s not keep pretending that the only reason people drink at festivals is for the taste...