Self Esteem - Rebecca Lucy Taylor

DirtyLurker

She did a short pop-up set at the Barclaycard stage - I say stage but it was basically an advert for Barclaycard with a raised section for their hype up dancers! - at Latitude which I totally missed because; terrible signal, notification came in an hour after it had happened.  Bit gutted I missed it after the comments re: intimate gigs.

Loving that she's popping up at lots of festivals this year.

I went to see her at her at Sheffield Octagon earlier in the year after friends raved over her previous Leadmill gig.. I wasn’t massively into the album at that point.. I was blown away by her live show..  I’ve never heard a crowd scream as loud or as long as they did at that gig, she gets a lot of love in Sheffield.  Now I’ve listened to PP to death and started revisiting Slow Club which mostly passed me by somehow other than a couple of singles.  

I saw her twice at Glastonbury and seeing her again soon at Camp Bestival Shropshire.. really excited to see what happens next for her.  She’s also hilarious.

Edited by Pipine

Think I'm on about my eleventh Self Esteem show now and she continues to get better every time. I thought before Glastonbury that I should probably give it a miss as it's been the same set for quite a while now (since PP came out) but I obviously didn't listen to myself and ended up seeing both the JP set and the Greenpeace set and they were both knock outs.

Would love her to win the Mercury - though a lot of it was in jest, she was somewhat vocal about feeling that Compliments Please should have been nominated when that came out. Glad they're come around now to see how important an artist she is.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

As if we couldn't love her enough; check out her Twitter timeline from last night, she made sure all the food from the Mercury's was donated to charity rather than wasted - as a chef I know how hard this is to achieve, so many companies unwilling to help with excess food going to those that need it!

She's a good egg. Local Sheffield icon, went to the same secondary school as my Dad!

• Like 1

Just listened to Prioritise Pleasure for the first time and enjoyed it.

What's incredible though is how much it's resonated with the young women in my life. So many of my friends (particularly ones who have dealt with awful behaviour from men, or who are part of the queer community) feel it really speaks to them and reflects their anxieties, hopes and thoughts about the world. Mercury Prize or not you can't really create that kind of connection.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Just listened to Prioritise Pleasure for the first time and enjoyed it.

What's incredible though is how much it's resonated with the young women in my life. So many of my friends (particularly ones who have dealt with awful behaviour from men, or who are part of the queer community) feel it really speaks to them and reflects their anxieties, hopes and thoughts about the world. Mercury Prize or not you can't really create that kind of connection.

100% agree with this. I'm nearly 40 and her music hugely resonates with me. Really wish I'd had something like it around in my 20s (I had riot grrrl, which did much the same thing, but nothing like as mainstream).

• Upvote 1