Self Esteem - Rebecca Lucy Taylor

DirtyLurker

So I've searched site & there's no dedicated thread to Self Esteem, how is this even possible?!  I've had to create a thread, I am not the thread creating type😉

I purposely didn't head to John Peel tent to see her/(them to inc band), at Glasto because I knew I'd catch them at Latitude.

O my bloody gosh, they blew me the fuck away!

So good in so many ways.  Partner was dragged along & it was 1 act I didn't care if they were enjoying or not because I fully intended to stay for the whole set - partner came away absolutely in love with Rebecca Lucy Taylor which is fair, I too am in love with Rebecca!

She brought on the Queer House Party for the last track & gave them front & centre stage which was pure joy.

I cried, quite a bit to be fair like tears streaming down my face & I danced, such good music & i listened, she has stuff to say & I'm fully here to listen.

Would love for her to win the Mercury.

Send your Self Esteem loves here 😁 (or not it's a free country 😉)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I saw her doing the chat in the morning and was at JP and yes I am definitely a huge fan. Have seen her at Manchester Cathedral, Band on the Wall and at Yes as well. 

Was gutted I didn't get to see her at the secret set at Greenpeace stage. 

I'd be very happy for her to win the Mercury. I think it would mean the most to her. 

One of my photos from the Manchester Cathedral gig! 

The gig at Yes that I saw was brilliant but also quite sad it was pre-pandemic and it was an acoustic show to give her some Christmas money. I remember going online to buy a t-shirt and the vinyl of her first album as I wanted to make sure she could keep going. And now look at her! She’s on fire 🔥 

4FEFEB02-FBD1-46CB-91D5-0789992F2306.jpeg

• Like 2

Saw Self Esteem at Neighbourhood Weekender last September. A short but brilliant set! 

Went to the gig at Belgrave in Nov (?) last year, my goodness, and I mean this in a good way but it was a bit like an arena showed squeezed into a relatively small venue. Took my wife who was not really a fan and she thought it was a great show.  Rebecca seems like a really lovely person. Fab sense of humour 🙂 

17 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

One of my photos from the Manchester Cathedral gig! 

The gig at Yes that I saw was brilliant but also quite sad it was pre-pandemic and it was an acoustic show to give her some Christmas money. I remember going online to buy a t-shirt and the vinyl of her first album as I wanted to make sure she could keep going. And now look at her! She’s on fire 🔥 

4FEFEB02-FBD1-46CB-91D5-0789992F2306.jpeg

Amazing photo!

She is So on fire right now🔥🔥

And your tshirt & vinyl are part of her history, without those sales she may have packed it all in & we would be without such a strong voice -  both vocal opinions & singer songwriter voice.

Just now, DirtyLurker said:

Amazing photo!

She is So on fire right now🔥🔥

And your tshirt & vinyl are part of her history, without those sales she may have packed it all in & we would be without such a strong voice -  both vocal opinions & singer songwriter voice.

Yes I suspect it was quite a low moment for her. I actually think her first album is just as good and she should have taken off sooner but really please it finally has happened for her. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I suspect it was quite a low moment for her. I actually think her first album is just as good and she should have taken off sooner but really please it finally has happened for her. 

They played over an hour set at Latitude so must've been tracks from 1st album inc - I'd had a few espresso martini so couldn't tell you what was played.

I agree with you about the Mercury meaning so much to her, she just comes across as genuine, her music feels so honest, that's prob why the live show affected me so much.

18 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Saw Self Esteem at Neighbourhood Weekender last September. A short but brilliant set! 

Went to the gig at Belgrave in Nov (?) last year, my goodness, and I mean this in a good way but it was a bit like an arena showed squeezed into a relatively small venue. Took my wife who was not really a fan and she thought it was a great show.  Rebecca seems like a really lovely person. Fab sense of humour 🙂 

She's got a Northern sense of humour for sure!  

She wore the Boots advantage card dress at Latitude, partner (Northerner) was impressed at the thrifty aspect of reusing advantage cards 😅

Saw her before Kylie last time out as well as at Deer Shed the same year.

I loved the first album and the production on there, it was an interview where she talked about how obsessed she was with MBDTF beats that got me into her, it tells.

That said, I absolutely hate that sunscreen song and it’s put me off the rest of the new album.

Fair play to her though, hope she blows up if she wins it.

Edited by Badlands

13 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Saw her before Kylie last time out as well as at Deer Shed the same year.

I loved the first album and the production on there, it was an interview where she talked about how obsessed she was with MBDTF beats that got me into her, it tells.

That said, I absolutely hate that sunscreen song and it’s put me off the rest of the new album.

Fair play to her though, hope she blows up if she wins it.

I wouldn’t let that song put you off as its not really representative of the rest of the album. It took me a while to get into the new album if I am honest but definitely if you see it live it brings it to life. 

Need to give her more of a listen. I bloody loved Slow Club and was gutted they never really got their dues. Their Christmas shows were one of the highlights of my year, but glad to see she's doing so well.

I saw Prima Facie NT Live the other day and she did the music for that, plus a really impactful performance as part of the pre-show. Worth seeking out.

I'm pretty obsessed with her right now. It's been a fucking shit year and I have listened to Prioritise Pleasure to absolute death during it. I feel like it's really got me through some stuff. As a result I cried my eyes out watching her Glasto set on TV!

Was lucky enough to see one of the album launch gigs but I didn't really know any of her songs then. Have tickets for Hammersmith next year, though.

12 hours ago, Riggins said:

Need to give her more of a listen. I bloody loved Slow Club and was gutted they never really got their dues. Their Christmas shows were one of the highlights of my year, but glad to see she's doing so well.

I saw Prima Facie NT Live the other day and she did the music for that, plus a really impactful performance as part of the pre-show. Worth seeking out.

I really wanted to watch this as love Jodie Comer too. 

Had never heard of her until watching her Glastonbury set on iplayer, one of my highlights of the weekend and immediately won me over.

Watched it a 2nd time and by about half way through I had already booked tickets for her tour, absolutely fantastic artist and only going up from here!

6 minutes ago, panda97 said:

Had never heard of her until watching her Glastonbury set on iplayer, one of my highlights of the weekend and immediately won me over.

Watched it a 2nd time and by about half way through I had already booked tickets for her tour, absolutely fantastic artist and only going up from here!

Such a good performer and the dancers/singers are incredible too.

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm pretty obsessed with her right now. It's been a fucking shit year and I have listened to Prioritise Pleasure to absolute death during it. I feel like it's really got me through some stuff. As a result I cried my eyes out watching her Glasto set on TV!

Was lucky enough to see one of the album launch gigs but I didn't really know any of her songs then. Have tickets for Hammersmith next year, though.

I'm so sorry you've been having such a shit time, caught a few of your posts recently & really hope you're getting through with some help❤

There is such catharsis with music that connects.  I know someone commented about I Do This All The Time, the Wear Sunscreen homage & not connecting with it but there are a few lines in that track that get me every fucking time, and to see it live, wow.  Such power in her words.  

• Upvote 1

Was just waiting at the JP tent in between Holly Humberstone and Beabadoobee when she came on. I like to think I’m mostly on top of new music, but she’s been missed here in Australia, at least by me. 

Completely won me over. Such a good set full of charisma and good tunes and arguably the best connection between artist and crowd all weekend, and I say that as a member of the adult male overwhelmed by Pheobe Bridgers club. 

• Upvote 2

Saw her a few years ago on the bandstand at BST and thought she was amazing. A much simpler set up and presentation and some how seemed more authentic with just her songs and great voice.

Saw here again a few weeks back at Earth, a great show but boy was it hot. I think I preferred her BST performance with out the backing singers and dance moves but its the current show/presentation that has connected with more people. Willbe catching her again a few times throughout the summer at various festivals.She seems to have been booked for everythingthis year.

6 hours ago, panda97 said:

I’ve just bought tickets for London in March. I missed her at Glasto as I was on shift but she was superb at the IDLES gig and it looked brilliant on iPlayer. 

8 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

I'm so sorry you've been having such a shit time, caught a few of your posts recently & really hope you're getting through with some help❤

There is such catharsis with music that connects.  I know someone commented about I Do This All The Time, the Wear Sunscreen homage & not connecting with it but there are a few lines in that track that get me every fucking time, and to see it live, wow.  Such power in her words.  

Thank you, that's very kind x

I feel exactly the same way about that song. Love it.

• Like 1

Spent 10 years seeing Slow Club whenever they toured near here (and watching them gradually fall apart). Was curious to see what Rebecca would do solo, and I was not disappointed. Both albums have been fantastic. Seeing her again at Victorious in 4 weeks 🥰