When will Beans get a main stage set?

kalifire

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

To me he's nothing more than an average singer songwriter, whose place is around a campfire getting drunk with a few mates.

I know several people who are better musicians and never made it.

Him and Ed Sheeran both...

I don't think he ever will, because it's just not a genre of music (folky/acoustic) the festival really bothers with outside of Avalon.

I like him, but he won't translate at all well to anything larger than Avalon / Truth. Maybe Acoustic at an absolute stretch. And I think he probably realises that hence his seeming preference for playing smaller stages (at other Festivals as well, not just Glastonbury).

never seen him -  been aware its a festival must-see for a fair few years now, and i like avoiding classic festival tropes. 

i dont like Beans on toast the meal, so i'm going to go out on a limb and say i wont like Beans on toast the singer as well.

You've got to have a system, even if its drastically unfair

• Upvote 1

We always make a point of trying to see him and it’s always rammed. He does relate more to an intimate venue but I reckon he deserves a spot on the park stage. Talked to him back in 2016 after he was on the Avalon and he seemed a genuinely nice bloke.   
saw him on the green peace stage in the heat of 2019 and the places was heaving, we ended up perched precariously on the ledge above the path next to that big chute trying to see him! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

First saw him at Bestival in 2012 when he played on the Thursday before much else was going on.....not many people there and got a good spot and really enjoyed the set.

Three years later at Glastonbury 2015 he played the Truth/Shangri-Hell/whatever it was called that year stage in Shangri-La on the Thursday evening and it was rammed to the point we nearly gave up but ended up perched at the back against a fence.

I like his stuff, I think he could do a bigger stage such as Acoustic or The Park easily, I don't think he's made for the Other or Pyramid stage though...

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Hopefully never.

To me he's nothing more than an average singer songwriter, whose place is around a campfire getting drunk with a few mates.

I know several people who are better musicians and never made it.

At every set he has overflowing crowds and is clearly hugely popular at the festival. Regardless of what you think of him, his popularity surely demands a better experience than most people having to give up because the stages he plays are too small. 

3 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

He could easily do a park slot but he isn’t bigger then that 

11 am would be okay I guess.

Just out of interest, how many folks are awake, as in had their coffee and first cig, for the 11am gigs?

Not counting those who haven't been to bed.

IMO there really shouldn't be any gigs before 2pm.

I think if he's playing bigger stages then he shouldn't be playing every year (I know a few do) - which he'd dislike.  I managed to squeeze my way to the Thursday Truth stage set, whenever that was.  I enjoyed it but not musically particularly exciting - so maybe he could get a crowd on Park / Acoustic - so I'm on the fence, but would be thinking about who else he was depriving of a slot.

Saw him for the first time this year, Rabbit Hole. Really enjoyed him. Can’t really see it translating to a big stage well. I didn’t realise he’s done Avalon before, was going to suggest that as a good call. I get the impression he likes doing lots and keeping busy.

Family favourites of ours are 3 Daft Monkeys, also play lots of shows each year around green fields and they’ve been in Avalon before I think. Different style to BoT, but also not going to grace a Glastonbury main stage really.

He's done Avalon and Leftfield before and I think that's about right, decent crowds in both tents too. 

If he was to get a slot on The Park I'd be made up for him but it would have to be an early one and I think I'd prefer him later in the day. 

Just announced a new tour for next year and much as I love him, acts playing these size venues don't get on the big stages:

Edited by Gnomicide

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

He could easily do a park slot but he isn’t bigger then that 

I would agree with that. A daytime slot plus his usual appearances elsewhere. Just one of those acts that make Glastonbury that little bit different. We ended up this year listening to an English folk singer called Sam Lee in croissant neuf, very olde English traditional .  That’s how we discovered beans years ago on the left field.  It’s all part of the uniqueness of the greatest festival in the world 

The only time it's properly busy at his appearances is on the Wednesday and Thursday when he's not up against anything. I love him, but the year he did Avalon, that was the only gig he played all weekend (or maybe there was a secret slot on the Sunday but that was announced after). Because once you're playing stages at that level, you're expected to bring a decent audience with you and you can't be splitting your audience up over five gigs. Which, as a fan, means you're more likely to get a clash.

Having said all that, for his sake I've love for him to get a spot. Hell, let him do the Greta/Corbyn spot and play one song on the Pyramid between acts!

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I would agree with that. A daytime slot plus his usual appearances elsewhere. Just one of those acts that make Glastonbury that little bit different. We ended up this year listening to an English folk singer called Sam Lee in croissant neuf, very olde English traditional .  That’s how we discovered beans years ago on the left field.  It’s all part of the uniqueness of the greatest festival in the world 

I mean, I get what you're saying but he's probably performing at more UK festivals than anyone!

12 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes he plays loads of festivals but it just seems that he’s a bit of a special relationship with Glastonbury,or maybe I’m just an old sentimentalist 

I think he said in Glastocast his first gig as 'Beans on Toast' was at Glastonbury in 2005 when he just got up on an open mike, then in 2007 he stayed up all night doing speed then did his Leftfield gig on no sleep. 😄 

Also the MDMA song is after he met on a girl on the Sunday one year (no idea which)

I think he ties hand in hand with the festival, he's not missed one since 1997 and is a festival crusty at heart. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

Love him. Watched him a number of times. Even randomly had him stood next to me by the sound booth on the Pyramid Stage watching, I think, ELO although it might have been another act. Would love to see him at The Park. I think he would go down well there. Acoustic too. 

16 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

In a straight up clash between Glasto stalwarts Beans vs Mik, I'd go see Mik each time. Besides, they both play multiple places over the weekend. 

It's quantity over quality. 

Which isn't a bad thing.

As Stalin said, "Quantity has a quality of it's own".

😆

I've never been able to get the appeal of Mik.

I miss the days of John Otway - I remember back in the early 2000s he'd be doing similar multiple gigs over the course of the festival - think we saw him three times the one year. He still tours but don't know if he had a falling out with the festival or something.