Pulp to return in 2023

briddj

20 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Has anyone been to one of these festivals which are all cover bands playing hits of their idols? They seem popular in the North West.  Really next level baffling 

Very much so.

Personally I'd like to see them banned.

44 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Has anyone been to one of these festivals which are all cover bands playing hits of their idols? They seem popular in the North West.  Really next level baffling 

No more baffling to me than club nights and discos. At least people are playing music live.

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

Hah, that’s exactly what Macclesfield Festival up the road from us was. Could hear it from our house - to be fair sounded like they were pretty good cover bands. But I’d far rather they created a platform for new local bands playing original songs. 

Yep but mostly the people who go to cover bands arent going to go to a new up and coming festival.

Its not one or the other. Just out of interest jp why would you want them banned?  

People are happy to spend 20quid or whatever listening to stuff they enjoy and have no hope of seeing live (queen george michael etc) or could conceivably see live (coldplace et al) but for considerably more and at an investment in time travel and energy they probably couldnt be arsed to.

And the people in said bands get paid for something they obviously enjoy doing.

Or should it be every band can have 15 years then thats it? Cos most bands by that point have done what most consider the biggest 'hits'. 

7 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Its not one or the other. Just out of interest jp why would you want them banned? 

To be fair to JP it was me that said that.

I'm just a grumpy old git who can't see the point of cover bands and as a generalisation hate that sort of event.

As an aside I was lucky enough to see Queen in 1982.

Edited by Skip997

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'm just a grumpy old git who can't see the point of cover bands and as a generalisation hate that sort of event.

Ahh i apologise for wrong name. 

I get you hate it but some people love it. Absolute radio is a thing. I think its awful but people like stuff. That's it really. 

Ive seen big names, random bands that never get anywhere,  all sorts of up and coming stuff, all sorts of peak of career bands,  past their peak bands, pub bands, covers bands, tribute acts (different thing i reckon) and javei enjoyed them all? Course not but some i have, some have been ok, some have been best nights of my life, some ive left early. There isnt any formula for what works for me though.  And what works for someone else as long as its not harming anyone then crack on. 

If i was offended by everything that didnt appeal to me id never get out of bed or talk to anyone again.

It's head scratching rather than offence. 

Just had half a dozen IPAs down a chilled pub with the dog and am now ALL IN for a Pulp tour!

Let's be honest. Jarvis a prince amongst men. There will deffo be new material. Let's do it!!!

New Pulp gigs is the first time in years that I have actually got excited about a band getting back together. Well actually 2nd as I was just a little bit happy about MCR. 

Was planning not to book stuff for next year in case they clash with a London Pulp gig. Thats not working out as booked Truck today.  Come on Jarvis, give us the dates so we can plan the rest of our life around the biggest must see shows next year. 

15 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Guessing there's no indication of dates as of yet? I'm already getting paranoid it'll fall on the one engagement I have next year which is a wedding in August abroad 😕

I’d bet earlier in the Summer/spring than that at least for the UK. 

If Jamie T is big enough for Finsbury then Pulp are too, might be an option if they’re looking for a big London show. 

24 minutes ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

I’d bet earlier in the Summer/spring than that at least for the UK. 

If Jamie T is big enough for Finsbury then Pulp are too, might be an option if they’re looking for a big London show. 

If Jamie T is big enough for Finsbury Park, the Pulp are big enough for Hyde Park. BST Maybe?

13 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I was very much of this opinion until 2011.. I couldn’t do with Bono making me feel unworthy because I didn’t give two thirds of my disposal income to the 3rd world or Bobby Gillespie making me feel ungrateful because I didn’t scream with delight during his shit numbers… so I found myself in the Acoustic prepared to be hugely disappointed and full of self loathing for watching Brit Floyd.. (I had considered it to be pompous guff first time round until later years when I was full of my own pompous guff)

They were technically excellent and the lady bellowing out ‘Great gig in the sky’ was unexpectedly moving…

There is a place for tributes.

There will always be a place for Pulp. They are fucking great! Jarvis is the Frank Sinatra of his generation.

36 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

I was very much of this opinion until 2011.. I couldn’t do with Bono making me feel unworthy because I didn’t give two thirds of my disposal income to the 3rd world or Bobby Gillespie making me feel ungrateful because I didn’t scream with delight during his shit numbers… so I found myself in the Acoustic prepared to be hugely disappointed and full of self loathing for watching Brit Floyd.. (I had considered it to be pompous guff first time round until later years when I was full of my own pompous guff)

They were technically excellent and the lady bellowing out ‘Great gig in the sky’ was unexpectedly moving…

There will always be a place for Pulp. They are fucking great! Jarvis is the Frank Sinatra of his generation.

46 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Snap! Bonio shouting at us in the pissing rain drove us to Brit Floyd, who transported us to a different and much better world.

I’m not a massive fan of tribute acts, but enjoyed one of the most amazing and surreal evenings ever when a Meat Loaf tribute act played our local pub in Cornwall in the mid 00s. It was so good that the pub had an amplified music ban applied which was only lifted in the last couple of years. Before camera phones so no video or pix really, just what’s in our heads 🙂.  So maybe it was shit……

Can’t wait to see Pulp 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 9:33 PM, Stokesy10 said:

Guessing there's no indication of dates as of yet? I'm already getting paranoid it'll fall on the one engagement I have next year which is a wedding in August abroad 😕

I wouldn't get too worried just yet - there's plenty of time to finalise and announce, plus by the sounds of it, loads of people have 2023 tour announcements coming up.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:17 PM, Dales said:

If Jamie T is big enough for Finsbury Park, the Pulp are big enough for Hyde Park. BST Maybe?

Well they did it on their last reunion tour in 2011 (admittedly as Wireless Festival when that was a more general festival). So wouldn't be without precedent to play there, much as I'm not a fan of HP as a venue.