Pulp to return in 2023

briddj

9 minutes ago, VCK said:

This Is Hardcore is their best album, and the lyrics make more sense the further into my 30s I get...

To be fair I might put that on a par with Different Class depending on my mood. It's so long since I've listened to it in full so might give it a spin later. The title track is a masterpiece. His 'n' Hers will always be my favorite, though. Was absolutely obsessed with that album as a teenager.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To be fair I might put that on a par with Different Class depending on my mood. It's so long since I've listened to it in full so might give it a spin later. The title track is a masterpiece. His 'n' Hers will always be my favorite, though. Was absolutely obsessed with that album as a teenager.

Yeah, the title track is my favourite song of theirs. Such a left turn from the Different Class sound.

His N' Hers is great of course, it has that proto-DC sound but feels more raw and unpolished, and Acrylic Afternoons is one of my all time favourites. Also We Love Life which was a beautiful swansong. A rare example of a band who went on a run of four consecutive outstanding albums. Most artists barely make it to two.

What a band. So happy I am getting another chance to see them.

6 minutes ago, VCK said:

Yeah, the title track is my favourite song of theirs. Such a left turn from the Different Class sound.

His N' Hers is great of course, it has that proto-DC sound but feels more raw and unpolished, and Acrylic Afternoons is one of my all time favourites. Also We Love Life which was a beautiful swansong. A rare example of a band who went on a run of four consecutive outstanding albums. Most artists barely make it to two.

What a band. So happy I am getting another chance to see them.

Such a fucking good track. Used to listen to that on repeat a fair bit haha! 

Acrylic Afternoons is incredible. Shout out also to Pink Glove, She's a Lady and David's Last Summer and of course all the other singles are brilliant. 

And then on Different Class gems like Feeling Called Love, I Spy and Bar Italia.

Such a great run of four albums in general. Sunrise is an incredible track. Still remember watching that at Reading. They were a really consistent band for a long time and such a brilliant live act.

The possibility of them at Glastonbury next year has galvanised me even further to get tickets, especially for one of my mates who has never seen them. Needs rectifying.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

The correct order for the four big albums is:

1. His 'n' hers

2. Different Class

3. This is Hard-core

4. We Love Life

I'd need to refamiliarise myself with the early work to rate those too - it's been a while. I think Separations would be next.

Agree, but I’d add in The Best Of Pulp at number 1. Wall to wall bangers on that one. 

Edited by blutarsky

16 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm listening to Pulp now and confirm this is going to be exceedingly excellent.

After I get past my Joni Mitchell moment I might join you on a bit of a trip down memory lane with Pulp. This week might be the most 'old music' I have listened to in years. 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:19 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Makes more sense that Jarvis did She's a Lady at this year's festival, bit of a random album track but I lost my shit watching from the TV. Hopefully that will be in the setlist. Absolute banger.

I hope it's not BST but I'll be there regardless for whatever London date they do. Just realised the last time I saw them wasn't on the Park stage, it was Wireless that same summer. Grace Jones supporting. Wireless was a bit of a different beast then! 

I think I’ve seen them the same times as you . V96 the first time and various other festivals ending with Hyde park 2011 …. Super excited to see them again 

This should possibly in the controversial opinions thread but have to say I have zero desire to see them if they do tour and say that as a liker of their music.

It's moved on. The festival. Life. Everything.  And I went to see Jar-Vis on the Park Stage and loved it.

Just done with nostalgia and trying to recapture a moment.  Away from the festival season i spend 10 or 15 quid going to see bands I have never heard off in small venues. It's years since I spent over 50 quid on a gig ticket chasing rainbows. Probably Stone Roses comeback tour in 2012.

16 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

This should possibly in the controversial opinions thread but have to say I have zero desire to see them if they do tour and say that as a liker of their music.

It's moved on. The festival. Life. Everything.  And I went to see Jar-Vis on the Park Stage and loved it.

Just done with nostalgia and trying to recapture a moment.  Away from the festival season i spend 10 or 15 quid going to see bands I have never heard off in small venues. It's years since I spent over 50 quid on a gig ticket chasing rainbows. Probably Stone Roses comeback tour in 2012.

I like doing both 

17 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Out of interest would you feel the same if they did a new album with the tour?

I'm not too much into nostalgia myself and I definitely tend to listen more to new stuff but my love of Pulp coincided with me being completely broke and so there are a lot of bands from that era that I never had the luxury of seeing live and would love the chance to rectify that. 

So you actively don’t go and see bands, possibly some of your favourite bands, because you’ve attached a label of ‘nostalgia’ to them? Or is it just a case of acts who haven’t released anything new and are purely touring old material? I mean, you do you, but if a band I love reforms (or hell, just tours in general) you better believe I’ll be getting tickets.

• Upvote 1

LCD Soundsystem will never top that 2016 set at Glastonbury for me, but I'm definitely catching them whenever they tour over here, new material or not. If you know an act is ace and you're gonna love it live, why wouldn't you go? Granted I might not see a band that tours every other year every time, but I'm sure as shit catching the ones I enjoy whilst I still can. 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

So you actively don’t go and see bands, possibly some of your favourite bands, because you’ve attached a label of ‘nostalgia’ to them? Or is it just a case of acts who haven’t released anything new and are purely touring old material? I mean, you do you, but if a band I love reforms (or hell, just tours in general) you better believe I’ll be getting tickets.

Its complex and I appreciate it may come across as cutting ones nose off to spite ones face.  I cant remember going to see a band that has been around as long as me  that has lived up to my previous experience of seeing them in their pomp which is even weirder given that some of the heyday performances were not the best quality wise.  eg. Stone Roses at Spike Island.  Happy Mondays, New Order, ACR at GMEX in 88.  The only caveat is I was fortunate enough to get tickets for New Order a couple of years ago at Granada Studios doing this which was very emotional https://mif.co.uk/news/how-we-made-new-order-and-liam-gillicks-so-it-goes/

I know its rose tinted specs etc and probably sounding a bit middle aged but i do get bored with hearing older material and seem to spend more of my time at smaller stages at Glastonbury for similar reasons.  I was fortunate enough to see most of the half decent indie bands around Manchester in the late eighties in places like The Boardwalk and the Hacienda and the Ritz before it sold its soul to the man.  Noting comes close the visceral feel of those experience and i have tried and tried to be there for many of the second (and third) springs of many of these bands.

It also comes down to the cost of "stuff" and bands charging a small fortune to see them.  I just try and support up and coming bands rather than go and watch stuff i have seen a stack of times.  I am not being deliberately contrary around Pulp either.  Sorry as some of this is quite tangental to Pulp

And, if they release a fantastic new album... see  you there 🙂

Edited by Jay Pee

You have to know why you're going. If you're going because you love and have always loved the music itself, you'll always get something out the gig. If you're going to relive your youth then it's just not going to be as good as it was when you saw them in your 20s because you were in your 20s and felt fantastic!

I never stopped listening to Pulp, so it's not a retro thing for me at all.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You have to know why you're going. If you're going because you love and have always loved the music itself, you'll always get something out the gig. If you're going to relive your youth then it's just not going to be as good as it was when you saw them in your 20s because you were in your 20s and felt fantastic!

I never stopped listening to Pulp, so it's not a retro thing for me at all.

Which is a good point.  A lot of the lads i grew up with with head to Castlefield to see James et al in a bucket hat and a pocket full of coke trying to capture something you just cant but if i mention i'm off to Yes to see Audiobooks if anyone fancies it?.... Tumbleweed.  

Cant disagree with you Deano

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Haha, James are the one band I don't count in that as they've continued to put out new stuff and resolutely play most of whatever the new album is at all their gigs to a mostly confused crowd. Love it!

Lol. Yes, much to the chagrin of said bucket hats 

4 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Has anyone been to one of these festivals which are all cover bands playing hits of their idols? They seem popular in the North West.  Really next level baffling 

Hah, that’s exactly what Macclesfield Festival up the road from us was. Could hear it from our house - to be fair sounded like they were pretty good cover bands. But I’d far rather they created a platform for new local bands playing original songs. 

1 minute ago, jimmillen said:

Hah, that’s exactly what Macclesfield Festival up the road from us was. Could hear it from our house - to be fair sounded like they were pretty good cover bands. But I’d far rather they created a platform for new local bands playing original songs. 

This