Pulp to return in 2023

briddj

21 minutes ago, incident said:

"Concerts" would imply more than a one off gig, which is good.

Beyond that, who knows. My best guess would be their own shows in selected venues, as it'd be easier to schedule and more lucrative than messing about with Festivals, but Pulp in general and Jarvis in particular can be unpredictable so who knows for sure.

Festivals are far easier from a productions / work for their management standpoint though. Don't imagine they are up to much with nothing to promote etc but i always thought festivals was the easiest to throw together a tour quickly

Makes more sense that Jarvis did She's a Lady at this year's festival, bit of a random album track but I lost my shit watching from the TV. Hopefully that will be in the setlist. Absolute banger.

I hope it's not BST but I'll be there regardless for whatever London date they do. Just realised the last time I saw them wasn't on the Park stage, it was Wireless that same summer. Grace Jones supporting. Wireless was a bit of a different beast then! 

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Makes more sense that Jarvis did She's a Lady at this year's festival, bit of a random album track but I lost my shit watching from the TV. Hopefully that will be in the setlist. Absolute banger.

He’s been doing it for quite a while, so doubt it’s linked - was in his set I saw him back in November (along with another Pulp album track).

8 hours ago, gfa said:

Festivals are far easier from a productions / work for their management standpoint though. Don't imagine they are up to much with nothing to promote etc but i always thought festivals was the easiest to throw together a tour quickly

It depends a bit on what type of their own gig. If you're talking big, outdoor shows, or places not usually geared up to host concerts, then yes absolutely. If they're going to regular concert venues - Arenas, Concert Halls, etc, then they'll all have the infrastructure in place and be pretty much "ready to go" with minimal fuss and will be significantly easier than festivals in most respects. That's all assuming there's no elaborate custom production of course.

But my gut feeling is that big outdoor venues seem like a bad fit in this case. I don't really know what the demand looks like in 2022, but it did tail off on the last go around after they did the initial festival run - the homecoming Sheffield Arena show actually took months to sell out. So for me it'd make sense to do a run of larger indoor venues - 5k to 10k maybe. Also helps that an indoor tour can be scheduled at any time of the year, and worked around peoples existing schedules.

28 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just realised the last time I saw them wasn't on the Park stage, it was Wireless that same summer. Grace Jones supporting. Wireless was a bit of a different beast then! 

Me too! Saw their secret set on the park after wanting to see them for years, then a week later my sister phoned saying she had a spare ticket for their day at wireless so I ended up seeing them twice in 8 days.

After their glasto set I turned to my husband and said "I've waited 15 years for that", then my sister said exactly the same thing to me at wireless 😂

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Me too! Saw their secret set on the park after wanting to see them for years, then a week later my sister phoned saying she had a spare ticket for their day at wireless so I ended up seeing them twice in 8 days.

After their glasto set I turned to my husband and said "I've waited 15 years for that", then my sister said exactly the same thing to me at wireless 😂

Ah amazing! I was lucky enough to see them a few times back in the 90s. I've just realised it was 26 years since the first time which makes me feel like a fossil!

10 hours ago, noplacelikehome said:

Was at the last gig in Sheffield, was such an amazing night. Would be so good to see them again, saw Jarvis on his book tour pre glasto and he was asked but was pretty dismissive, so something must have happened since then

Ditto - I've seen them a few times but I think that Sheffield gig is my favourite gig I have ever been at. Both them and the crowd were genuinely brilliant 

37 minutes ago, incident said:

It depends a bit on what type of their own gig. If you're talking big, outdoor shows, or places not usually geared up to host concerts, then yes absolutely. If they're going to regular concert venues - Arenas, Concert Halls, etc, then they'll all have the infrastructure in place and be pretty much "ready to go" with minimal fuss and will be significantly easier than festivals in most respects. That's all assuming there's no elaborate custom production of course.

But my gut feeling is that big outdoor venues seem like a bad fit in this case. I don't really know what the demand looks like in 2022, but it did tail off on the last go around after they did the initial festival run - the homecoming Sheffield Arena show actually took months to sell out. So for me it'd make sense to do a run of larger indoor venues - 5k to 10k maybe. Also helps that an indoor tour can be scheduled at any time of the year, and worked around peoples existing schedules.

Maybe tramlines is more of a fit then. Would have loved outdoor venues but you definitely make it sound like they'd struggle selling them. Whatever it is, i'm sure we'll all be there for it!

Very exciting news.  saw them a few times in the 90s and Glastonbury 1994 but haven't seen them since 2001 Homlands headline set. The couple of times i have seen his JARV IS stuff it has been OK but was always disappointing that he wasn't doing Pulp songs

5 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

Very exciting news.  saw them a few times in the 90s and Glastonbury 1994 but haven't seen them since 2001 Homlands headline set. The couple of times i have seen his JARV IS stuff it has been OK but was always disappointing that he wasn't doing Pulp songs

I actually really liked the Jarv Is thing I saw at EOTR a few years ago until he started talking. An insufferable, sanctimonious patronising pain in the arse. Music was excellent though.