latitude 2023

jj200

2 hours ago, fingers_mark said:

Think they've missed the boat on Sam Fender's rise. Should have headlined this year. Will go for...

Friday - Haim

Saturday - Fatboy Slim

Sunday - George Ezra

Yeah you are probably right,  probably big enough to do Reading now. 

George Ezra was headliner 2019 so it'll be 4 years, but only 2 festivals in between,  although he is touring a new album... don't know if it is too soon or not. Definately a possibility. 

Fatboy slim headlined the second stage in 2017 so I don't think he would step up to main stage headliner unless it was a really special tour like a farewell or something ( I think he would go down really well with the obelisk crowd though).

First prediction: 

Friday - Sam Fender

Saturday - Florence and the Machine 

Sunday - Kasabian 

As has been said there's a year to go so a lot can change but this seems a pretry plausible trio, excited to see what they have in store for us 

Edited by Chapple12345

8 hours ago, fingers_mark said:

Think they've missed the boat on Sam Fender's rise. Should have headlined this year. Will go for...

Friday - Haim

Saturday - Fatboy Slim

Sunday - George Ezra

I think Fatboy would need someone before him to be honest (closing set), would be quite weak otherwise. He would work well along one of Haim/Ezra and then a big headliner.

Wonder what Vampire Weekend are up to, would like to see them at Latitude / somewhere next year!

Can't see Kasbian being a Latitude type band, unless they are willing to ignore the family vibe as from the 5 experiences I have seen them live most their fans seem to utter bell ends.  

Would love to see Vampire Weekend again, also Foster the People, but like you say unsure what these bands are up to.

Think/would like to see

Fri - George Ezra (the Buble of summer)

Sat - Pink (throwing a proper random out there who I think would hit the Latitude vibe)

Sun - Florence and the Machine

2022 was a great festival, here's to 2023

3 minutes ago, Gig_Vet said:

Can't see Kasbian being a Latitude type band, unless they are willing to ignore the family vibe as from the 5 experiences I have seen them live most their fans seem to utter bell ends.  

Would love to see Vampire Weekend again, also Foster the People, but like you say unsure what these bands are up to.

Think/would like to see

Fri - George Ezra (the Buble of summer)

Sat - Pink (throwing a proper random out there who I think would hit the Latitude vibe)

Sun - Florence and the Machine

2022 was a great festival, here's to 2023

P!nk is far too big for Latitude, way too stacked that lineup imo. 2 glasto headliners + a solid sub vs this year with 2 subs (capaldi pushing it) and snow patrol who are probably like a 5th down pyramid

---

Foster the People don't really do UK shows, i think its because they get awful slots here vs the US so its not worth bothering. They were meant to do EU fests in 2020 though so who knows.

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

...might get some hate for this, but if they're going Snow Patrol-esque once more, The Script could be a shout.

I don't really know much about The Script and was surprised that they consistently play arena gigs. They played Newmarket races a couple of weeks ago which I don't think sold out... but yeah that's 22k capacity when sold out. 

Maybe a BBC Sounds Stage headliner but PJ Harvey has an album due next year so imagine she might make an appearance.

Death Cab For Cutie, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The 1975 and The Pixies all have albums out at the end of this year.

After watching Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Brixton a few weeks back I’d be very happy with them on the bill.

Pulp are a possibility but to be honest they would fit in at absolutely any festival, so I would say at most they are an outside bet for Latitude.

PJ Harvey doesn't fit in at a modern-day Latitude. Ten years ago, yes, but not now. Shame but the festival has gone in a different direction.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, Raindow Rhythms said:

Pulp are a possibility but to be honest they would fit in at absolutely any festival, so I would say at most they are an outside bet for Latitude.

PJ Harvey doesn't fit in at a modern-day Latitude. Ten years ago, yes, but not now. Shame but the festival has gone in a different direction.

I agree with you that pj Harvey would have been a shoe in for the original latitudes but sadly don't think they have had a main stage headliner like that for ages. Could be bbc sounds headliner but she is too big/ exclusive for that really. Would be really hard to place her at latitude... which is a shame because she is incredible live. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:19 AM, chrisplowman said:

Maybe a BBC Sounds Stage headliner but PJ Harvey has an album due next year so imagine she might make an appearance.

Death Cab For Cutie, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The 1975 and The Pixies all have albums out at the end of this year.

After watching Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Brixton a few weeks back I’d be very happy with them on the bill.

I'm always amazed pixies haven't played. In the early years they would have been a really obvious Latitude headliner. Saw YYY's at latitude in 2013. They are so good live. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I'm always amazed pixies haven't played. In the early years they would have been a really obvious Latitude headliner. Saw YYY's at latitude in 2013. They are so good live. 

Pixies are a good shout, actually. They’re headlining Bingley Weekender this year which is obviously smaller than Lattitude but the same vibe sonically. I reckon they’re in for a shot, surely.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, Raindow Rhythms said:

Agree with this 100%. And I'm declaring an interest here, did Latte for ten years straight 2008-17 then last year as a COVID 'special', but like many have given up on it as it moved to R2 / R1 flavour from 6Music.

Latitude could have had a look in with Pulp if like a number of other festivals they'd positively booked JarvIS or even had Jarvis DJ'ing these past few years. Can definitely see Eavis getting Pulp headlining the Other Stage, and then also see them main stage headlining something with credibility like Green Man / EOTR, and just maybe something niche close to home like Tramlines / Y Not or Hillsboro' / Sheffield.

Likewise PJ Harvey. Latitude had every opportunity to book her back when it was actually a brave festival, either White Chalk or latterly Let England Shake. Almost can't forgive Melvin Benn that he failed to do that when (back then) she would have fitted perfectly. She was an astonishing headliner at Green Man (about 2017), and she'll likely be amazing wherever she chooses in 2023. 

It is just possible Melvin could call on the early support he gave Florence to get her back, but he'd be blowing the budget on it. He'll get obvious easy stuff like Haim / London Grammar / Pixies. My random shout, again possibly testing the budget: Kiwanuka.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been reflecting on the shift from latitude from a "6 music festival to a R1 /R2 festival". I totally get it because on the obelisk it is a lot less alternative (dare I say interesting, with a few stand out examples such as little simz. It has been a gradual slide over the last 3 years. I wonder how successful the approach is? I know its not popular with people on here but is it attracting lots of other people? I don't think it sold out this year, last year did but it was the only show in town. Interesting to see what route  they go down next year. 

• Like 1

My take on it is that between 2017 and 2020 it became much more Radio 2, but in the last two years it has returned to its 6Music leanings, albeit not amongst the headliners.

These are acts that played this year that have all featured on the 6 Music playlists in recent months: Kae Tempest, Foals, Katy J Pearson, Maximo Park, Bessie Turner, Samantha Crain, Curtis Harding, Billie Marten, Porridge Radio, Phoebe Bridgers, Orlando Weeks, Porij, Fontaines DC, Little Simz, Los Bitchos, Sea Power.

I'm not claiming that it has returned to its halcyon days - far from it - but if 6Music is your station of choice, there's lots to get your teeth into.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Raindow Rhythms said:

My take on it is that between 2017 and 2020 it became much more Radio 2, but in the last two years it has returned to its 6Music leanings, albeit not amongst the headliners.

These are acts that played this year that have all featured on the 6 Music playlists in recent months: Kae Tempest, Foals, Katy J Pearson, Maximo Park, Bessie Turner, Samantha Crain, Curtis Harding, Billie Marten, Porridge Radio, Phoebe Bridgers, Orlando Weeks, Porij, Fontaines DC, Little Simz, Los Bitchos, Sea Power.

I'm not claiming that it has returned to its halcyon days - far from it - but if 6Music is your station of choice, there's lots to get your teeth into.

I totally agree, there is loads of smaller bands which are "6 music" music, you just have to look a bit harder to find them. It's still a good lineup for that sort of alternative music. 

We probably were spoilt a bit in some of the lineups (I looked at the 2012 lineup and winced at some of the acts I missed.) 😀

• Like 1