1st time & repeat pyramid headliners

swede

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In my view - not all in the 1st time will make it because music moves on. In 5/6 years we will have new names on the list.

1st time (options in next few years)

Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, The Weeknd, Dave, Lady Gaga, Dave, Drake, Ariana Grande, Sam Fender

Returning

Arctic Monkeys, Adele, Radiohead, Beyoncé, Stormzy, Coldplay, Bruce Springsteen, Oasis.

Bubbling under

Olivia Rodrigo, Doja Cat

Not happening

Foals, George Ezra, Wolf Alice, The 1975,  Harry Styles.

Olivia has to have an album as big as a first 

im still praying fenders next album sends him the other direction as the thought of the pyramid state been full of Newcastle flags makes me sick,

I didn’t mind his music but never again 

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Why is Harry Styles not happening?

I really feel like this is his peak year. All the stars really aligned for him to show up at glasto and he didn’t. Can’t say Harry’s House has been as big of a smash as it could have been either.

I just feel like he will probably go down the route of doing his own shows. He will likely be taking next year off due to other commitments (filming).

The only way I can see it happening now really is if the festival is super keen, and I feel like they’ve got other options that are a bit more exciting.

In response to @swede here too

Edited by Matt42

I thought we might be doing a scoring system for people who should not have come back!!

I’d love to see Broooce again. Initially I was “that was amazing, definitive, etc.” but it’s been a few years, so if he turned up in 2024 he’d still be half a decade younger than Paul McCartney was this year, and I am sure would still be a great show. Not sure though, don’t want a “The Who” returning moment. Embarrassing.

I’d also like Neil Young again. Somebody else said Blur, so just repeat 2009 Pyramid headliners in 2024, jobs a good un!!

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I really feel like this is his peak year. All the stars really aligned for him to show up at glasto and he didn’t. Can’t say Harry’s House has been as big of a smash as it could have been either.

I just feel like he will probably go down the route of doing his own shows. He will likely be taking next year off due to other commitments (filming).

The only way I can see it happening now really is if the festival is super keen, and I feel like they’ve got other options that are a bit more exciting.

Harrys House was the fastest selling album in the Uk this year. As It Was was at number one for well over ten weeks and Im sure he had 3 songs in the top 10 at one point. 

As for worldwide, he smashed vinyl sales records in the US, it went number 1 in pretty much every major country, and in Australia all 13 tracks were in the top 15 at the same time. 

I'm not sure how much more of a smash you wanted the album to be. 

If the nexts albums as big as the last two he'll def be in the discussion to headline, they want worldwide megastars to headline now and he's in that bracket. 

5 minutes ago, swede said:

Harrys House was the fastest selling album in the Uk this year. As It Was was at number one for well over ten weeks and Im sure he had 3 songs in the top 10 at one point. 

As for worldwide, he smashed vinyl sales records in the US, it went number 1 in pretty much every major country, and in Australia all 13 tracks were in the top 15 at the same time. 

If the nexts albums as big as the last two he'll def be in the discussion to headline, they want worldwide megastars to headline now and he's in that bracket. 

Yep I'm not really his demographic but there's no denying he's headliner sized and there aren't many headliner sized acts around any more that are new to Glastonbury. 

28 minutes ago, swede said:

HH was a bit album but I think fine line had bigger hits. I’m not doubting that he isn’t big enough, I just think with his schedule Glastonbury is unlikely to work for a while, and if it’s true he’s going into acting we may have a lady gaga situation. 

Probably should have phrased that at the outset.

7 hours ago, sfroml said:

The Edge promised that their last album would hark back to the sound/experimentation of Zoorpopa and that obviously did not happen and instead they released yet another shoddy album.

I didn't find Songs of Innocence / Songs of Experience shoddy at all, but that is a matter of personal taste. Even if you think so, all of their latter albums have a couple of songs that work brilliantly live.  Live is where U2 are at their best. If they take the best of their recent albums plus a big chunk of greatest hits it will be brilliant.  Also - last time they opted for a really bare bones show, but headliners bring all kinds of fancy stage stuff to the farm now. Just a matter of making it fit the stage.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I didn't find Songs of Innocence / Songs of Experience shoddy at all, but that is a matter of personal taste. Even if you think so, all of their latter albums have a couple of songs that work brilliantly live.  Live is where U2 are at their best. If they take the best of their recent albums plus a big chunk of greatest hits it will be brilliant.  Also - last time they opted for a really bare bones show, but headliners bring all kinds of fancy stage stuff to the farm now. Just a matter of making it fit the stage.

Rumour has it the new album is tied into Bono’s memoirs and called “songs of surrender” and they’re going down the dreaded re-imagining/acoustic takes on their greatest hits. Not sure how it would work as a pyramid headline. But it definitely feels like they’ve got unfinished business down on the farm. 

20 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Rumour has it the new album is tied into Bono’s memoirs and called “songs of surrender” and they’re going down the dreaded re-imagining/acoustic takes on their greatest hits. Not sure how it would work as a pyramid headline. But it definitely feels like they’ve got unfinished business down on the farm. 

PERHAPS THEY CAN BRING THEIR A-GAME NEXT TIME.

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

Completely agree - really enjoyed their last tour.  Their setlist when they last headlined Glasto was a bit odd (plus the rain).

I reckon 3/4 from last two albums plus greatest hits from the rest of their career would be epic. Would love to see it

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Watergirl said:

That's a fair point and I'm probably being a bit harsh using the word "shoddy". I love U2, I think they're a brilliant band and I can't wait for them to tour again. Yes, there's some pretty good tunes on the last few albums.... Personally speaking I think they try to stay too relevant and end up with really overproduced albums with too many engineers and producers tinkering around with what would be brilliant bare bones songs. That Innocence + Experience live show was fabulous. 

But that's just my thoughts. I thought some of the material from the 00's was actually brilliant. And NLOTH got a proper slating but there's some great stuff on it. 

On 7/21/2022 at 2:16 PM, Matt42 said:

I don't agree with this, after this tour dies down and he's a bit out of the limelight he'll lay low and disappear again for a few years as he did after Fine Line, and then come back with new music and be one of the biggest stars in the world again. At which point he'd be a hugely popular Glasto headliner, but that could be in 2025/26

7 hours ago, sfroml said:

That's a fair point and I'm probably being a bit harsh using the word "shoddy". I love U2, I think they're a brilliant band and I can't wait for them to tour again. Yes, there's some pretty good tunes on the last few albums.... Personally speaking I think they try to stay too relevant and end up with really overproduced albums with too many engineers and producers tinkering around with what would be brilliant bare bones songs. That Innocence + Experience live show was fabulous. 

But that's just my thoughts. I thought some of the material from the 00's was actually brilliant. And NLOTH got a proper slating but there's some great stuff on it. 

Couldn't agree with this more. I'm a big U2 fan (not even embarrassed) and have seen them dozens of times. Every studio album after, in my personal opinion, Zooropa has sounded completely overproduced but the majority of them translate well live. As for their last 2 albums - I suppose they are good albums - I couldn't tell you the tracklisting of either though as they're just not for me

As for a return to the farm - I'm not entirely sure. I loved their set in 2011 but it was a strange setlist choice for a festival crowd - they've been that ingrained in my life for so long that I sometimes forget what are hits and what aren't 

Edited by Digi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Green Croc said:

I don't agree with this, after this tour dies down and he's a bit out of the limelight he'll lay low and disappear again for a few years as he did after Fine Line, and then come back with new music and be one of the biggest stars in the world again. At which point he'd be a hugely popular Glasto headliner, but that could be in 2025/26

I don’t disagree with anything your saying, he will be mega popular in 5 years time. I just think he’s going to go a Gaga direction. Amping up the acting and the odd short tour to promote an album here and then, but Glastonbury not being part of the plans.