Green man

bigbilly

Think we made the sunset once this year at glasto. Far too old and too many commitments to stare into the Bowells of hell for a week ornteo after these days. Looking at the late night line up at greenman there's a good amount of djs who would grace sunrise at block 9 or shangri la so that's all good for us! Week off work after as well so might even zee a couple of sunrises ha. 

Everyone I know whose been to green man love it amd do say its like a mini glasto type old school vibe

Edited by bigbilly

1 hour ago, _Tommy_ said:

I feel it's a bit misrepresented here in some respects. I would describe it very much as a two speed festival - the day is very family orientated and music wise quite chilled. However, the Far Out area, Chai Wallahs and to some extent Walled Garden that go on to 2/3/4am are definitely little oasis's of hedonism. I was somewhat surprised by the atmosphere in the far out tent late at night (in a good way) given how contrasted it was to the Mountain Stage at 1pm listening to floaty folk music with gangs of toddlers running around. If you choose the right time and area to get off your nut, it's got that aspect. 

Yeah would absolutely agree with this.

14 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

Think we made the sunset once this year at glasto. Far too old and too many commitments to stare into the Bowells of hell for a week ornteo after these days. Looking at the late night line up at greenman there's a good amount of djs who would grace sunrise at block 9 or shangri la so that's all good for us! Week off work after as well so might even zee a couple of sunrises ha. 

Everyone I know whose been to green man love it amd do say its like a mini glasto type old school vibe

I think you'll love it! Have a good one.

It's an absolutely superb festival.

Not corporate, beautiful mountain views, reasonable price drinks (there's also about 50 ales on tap if you are into that) loads of food choice. Queues are relatively short.

Crowd are really friendly, bare minimum number of twats there. 

As mentioned above you can definitely have 2 sorts of festival there depending on how you feel or want to approach it. There's plenty going on late at night if that's your thing.

It's reasonably family orientated, much more so than EOTR which is possibly the closest musical equivalent to GM.

The site is perfect, easy to get around but still some room to relax. Furthest you'll have to walk from the back of the campsite to the stages is maybe 15 minutes. Obviously it's Wales so it can rain and there's been a couple of tricky years (2007 was especially crap) but in recent times apart from 2017 it's been fine.

Musically it's diverse. EOTR probably edges it in that respect but there's loads to see, barely a time when there's nothing good on to watch. The selection is on point, you'll certainly not get any Sam Fender or Libertines like nonsense or random pop bands from 15 years ago at GM.

It started as more of an alt folk festival and that theme is still there, but it's grown and since around 2009 has steadily become more musically diverse.

You can also go for a week which gives you time to settle in and also explore the incredible countryside around the local area.

Here's a picture I took from the top of a mountain on the Tuesday of last year. 

Screenshot_2022-07-12-08-14-37-15_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, _Tommy_ said:

I feel it's a bit misrepresented here in some respects. I would describe it very much as a two speed festival - the day is very family orientated and music wise quite chilled. However, the Far Out area, Chai Wallahs and to some extent Walled Garden that go on to 2/3/4am are definitely little oasis's of hedonism. I was somewhat surprised by the atmosphere in the far out tent late at night (in a good way) given how contrasted it was to the Mountain Stage at 1pm listening to floaty folk music with gangs of toddlers running around. If you choose the right time and area to get off your nut, it's got that aspect. 

Agree Tommy, I think I should have said that its not hedonistic during the day but there's definitely some later shenanigans going on!  

6 minutes ago, bexj said:

Agree Tommy, I think I should have said that its not hedonistic during the day but there's definitely some later shenanigans going on!  

I'm no interested in being hedonistic during the day, I only really get going in the evening.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'm no interested in being hedonistic during the day, I only really get going in the evening.

Well as long as you can hold yourself together for long enough in the day that you don't accidentally boot a toddler (I kinda did in the courtyard last year but the parents saw the funny side) then you will have plenty to keep you going over night. 

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

by hedonism are we talking about taking loads of drugs and dancing naked and lots of sexy time?

or sitting watching some americana whilst sipping on some nice ipa and smoking a big joint?

surely the first, because the second isn't hedonism

I must admit I always treat Green Man like a giant three-day beer festival with the added benefit of an extremely strong music lineup! I genuinely love Green Man during the day, but there’s lots going on after dark too - good dance music and comedy until 2am. When I was walking to the bus station at 5am last year for the first bus out, there were plenty folk just off to bed!