Green man

bigbilly

Hey hope this is OK in here. Jist after some feedback from glasto crew!

Anyone been to green man? Any good? Any tips? Best areas etc etc 

It isn't Glastonbury, but it's a God-tier festival IMO. It's tiny in comparison (you can walk from the main stage to the second stage in a tent in about 5 minutes). It's a great vibe, great beer etc.

The music is less middle of road, way more off-kilter with more of a psych bent. No Radio 1 stuff at Green Man.

Edited by majormajormajor

6 hours ago, bigbilly said:

Hey hope this is OK in here. Jist after some feedback from glasto crew!

Anyone been to green man? Any good? Any tips? Best areas etc etc 

it's a great festival in my opinion. As for areas...it's a lot smaller than Glastonbury...so very easy to see everything. Definitely recommended. I actually prefer it to Glastonbury, but then I'm an old fart who was a bit freaked by the crowds at Glastonbury this year.

Love Green Man for the music, which is definitely bent toeards psych and folk. Its very sane, very family oriented so if you're looking for somewhere to get off your nut then you'll be in a minority. But it feels very safe and very clean too. 

The Mountain stage is stunning but lots of people in chairs, the Far Out stage is a big tent, the Walled Garden is as its name suggests with a stage, its lovely. Theres a couple of other music areas, a spoken word tent, a handful of stalls, good food, superb beer especially if you like real ale, a kids area and a sciency area and i think a healing area.  All within 5 mins walk of the main stage. 

Camping is split into general, quiet and family, all ok. Toilets generally clean, showers ok. Its about 45 mins stroll into Crickhowell for supplies if you need. 

Definitely recommend, but not a super hedonistic one! 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bexj said:

Love Green Man for the music, which is definitely bent toeards psych and folk. Its very sane, very family oriented so if you're looking for somewhere to get off your nut then you'll be in a minority.

The Mountain stage is stunning but lots of people in chairs,

Thanks.

I can now knock it off my list of possibilities.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Thanks.

I can now knock it off my list of possibilities.

Haha!  What are you looking for?  Perhaps we can give you some other recommendations? 

Just seen the bits in bold!! 

So, Noisily is electronic music, psy-trance, drum n bass, techno etc, I've not been but husband has and loves it. Small, beautiful, lots of healing stuff, lots of hedonism but that said my friend just went almost didn't have any thing even alcohol and she loved it. 

2 minutes ago, bexj said:

Haha!  What are you looking for?  Perhaps we can give you some other recommendations? 

If I told you then I reckon you'd recommend Boom Town.

I don't do many festivals these days: Glastonbury, Shambala and occasionally Shindig. Have finally given up on Beautiful Days even with a free ticket every year.

1 minute ago, bexj said:

Just seen the bits in bold!! 

So, Noisily is electronic music, psy-trance, drum n bass, techno etc, I've not been but husband has and loves it. Small, beautiful, lots of healing stuff, lots of hedonism but that said my friend just went almost didn't have any thing even alcohol and she loved it. 

Sounds perfect.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bexj said:

Love Green Man for the music, which is definitely bent toeards psych and folk. Its very sane, very family oriented so if you're looking for somewhere to get off your nut then you'll be in a minority. But it feels very safe and very clean too. 

The Mountain stage is stunning but lots of people in chairs, the Far Out stage is a big tent, the Walled Garden is as its name suggests with a stage, its lovely. Theres a couple of other music areas, a spoken word tent, a handful of stalls, good food, superb beer especially if you like real ale, a kids area and a sciency area and i think a healing area.  All within 5 mins walk of the main stage. 

Camping is split into general, quiet and family, all ok. Toilets generally clean, showers ok. Its about 45 mins stroll into Crickhowell for supplies if you need. 

Thanks for that information bexj. I had very much thought that I'd want to attend that festival one day. I hadn't considered, or looked into, the hedonistic aspect, and whether it would be acceptable or not. That is very much useful information inwards.

35 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

If I told you then I reckon you'd recommend Boom Town.

I don't do many festivals these days: Glastonbury, Shambala and occasionally Shindig. Have finally given up on Beautiful Days even with a free ticket every year.

What made you give up on BD?

32 minutes ago, bexj said:

Hello bexj,

Fair play to you. you've only gone and done the 'Double Whammy', on the information front. As well as Green Man, I had also harboured (for many a year) a desire to go to the Burning Man Festival. Now, I know that that is an unrealistic prospect - most notably because I am persona non grata in the USA (and I've never even been there!). I now feel (finally. So, thank you an awful lot.) that I can now recalibrate my ambitions, and swing them towards the Noisily festival instead. Mind you, that in itself might be ambitious. Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

What made you give up on BD?

IMO the line-up has become worse over last few years, most if it was never really my thing anyway.

It took me a while to realise, but I only really enjoyed when I was a drinker, IMO it's a very alcohol fueled event.

Thanks everyone my mates playing after bicep I think so might get a little hedonistic! Happy to chill though too old for 5 day benders haha.

2 hours ago, bexj said:

This has pretty much nailed everything I was going to say but I would add my voice to those saying it's a bloody lovely festival. The lineups haven't grabbed me since the first time I went but I'd happily go again based on everything else. We had a great time and the setting is so beautiful.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbilly said:

Thanks everyone my mates playing after bicep I think so might get a little hedonistic! Happy to chill though too old for 5 day benders haha.

We were still up until 2am or 3am dancing to the likes of High Contrast, Nathan Fake and Floating Points the year we went! Maybe not all night hedonism but about as much as we can handle these days... (although still proud that I made it to 4.30am at Primavera this year!).

• Thanks 1

I feel it's a bit misrepresented here in some respects. I would describe it very much as a two speed festival - the day is very family orientated and music wise quite chilled. However, the Far Out area, Chai Wallahs and to some extent Walled Garden that go on to 2/3/4am are definitely little oasis's of hedonism. I was somewhat surprised by the atmosphere in the far out tent late at night (in a good way) given how contrasted it was to the Mountain Stage at 1pm listening to floaty folk music with gangs of toddlers running around. If you choose the right time and area to get off your nut, it's got that aspect. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh and if you wanted to know how the place is kind of set up in terms of music/vibe then this is what I grabbed from the Green Man thread. The Creative Director of the whole place seems to play a part in running the Park area of Glasto...(the owner of Green Man, Fiona Stewart has long history with Glastonbury too back to the 80s/90s so it is very much in the same vein)  

*Given last year was my first Green Man I definitely got the 'mini Glastonbury' vibe and even said to my partner it felt like being in the Park area....

Didn't realise Green Man shares the booker! Explains a lot...*

Edited by _Tommy_
Bottom bit is a quote from other thread
  • Like 1