How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

45 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Watch acts you want to see/like.

Watch acts you haven't seen/heard but are interested in from the write up/odd tune you may have seen.

Catch up with old friends, I have many that I only ever see a Glastonbury.

Have a party.

This is the tricky one to explain and maybe justify - keep the original ethos and vibe of the festival going. It's slowly being eroded year on year. I arrived on the Saturday before the event, when I asked what my shifts are, the response was "you haven't got any, we just want you around for your experience and knowledge of the festival".

Have fun.

But that is what people do. All the young uns I know do exactly that, apart they see their friends more often outside the festival, in fact everyone I met were like that. 

However, people can enjoy it in what way they see fit, just like it has always been.

The festivals has changed and evolved into something it never used to be, but I think still keeps hold if some of the old ideas and freedoms.

22 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

The festivals has changed and evolved into something it never used to be, but I think still keeps hold if some of the old ideas and freedoms.

Lost it's edge, which is both good and bad.

It's well over a decade since I've seen/experienced anything truly shocking (in a good way) or genuinely weird.

Guess my problem is I'm too used to it.

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's well over a decade since I've seen/experienced anything truly shocking (in a good way) or genuinely weird.

Yea possibly. 

Have you been in the dark rooms in NYC Downlow 

When people found out I have been going since 82, they all ask how it has changed. My answer was, it is a now a different festival. No better no worse just different. I still love it

Only one person said I didn't look old enough. Bless em

Edited by fred quimby
  • Upvote 1

Just now, fred quimby said:

Yea possibly. 

Have you been in the dark rooms in NYC Downlow 

When people found out I have been going since 82, they all ask how it gas changed

I would say the biggest thing that's changed since I started going in 2004 is the sort of music on offer and the type of people that go, and that's from someone that's only been going post-super fence, some of my friends who started going in 1995 say the same thing about pre/post super fence and now I use it for 2004/2022!

37 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

When the extraordinary becomes ordinary. 🙂 

• Like 1

I always think with this type of conversation it's almost impossible to separate how much the festival has changed from how much you have changed. 🤷‍♂️

Not denying for a second that it has objectively changed over the years, but memories from younger years are inevitably a bit rosy-tinted. 🙂 

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And you'll always find it given the vast multitude of stages.

In theory yes, but how often does it happen that you're looking for it over here but it's happening over there.

I seemed to have a festival like that this year.

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I always think with this type of conversation it's almost impossible to separate how much the festival has changed from how much you have changed. 🤷‍♂️

Not denying for a second that it has objectively changed over the years, but memories from younger years are inevitably a bit rosy-tinted. 🙂 

For sure I've changed, but the difference between Glastonbury 2022 and Glastonbury 1985 (my first) is actually impossible to explain, barely even the same event.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

In theory yes, but how often does it happen that you're looking for it over here but it's happening over there.

I seemed to have a festival like that this year.

If in doubt you can usually expect to see something in the right spirit on West Holts

(unless Sleaford Mods are on)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

For sure I've changed, but the difference between Glastonbury 2022 and Glastonbury 1985 (my first) is actually impossible to explain, barely even the same event.

Bit like me and Truck Festival.....same name, same location...that's about it though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I started going in the early 80's too. My old crew can't believe I still go. I always say to them that it has completely changed and yet it is just the same. 

However, I don't feel that after this year. I felt like I was at a different festival with some familiar landmarks. 

26 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

I started going in the early 80's too. My old crew can't believe I still go. I always say to them that it has completely changed and yet it is just the same. 

However, I don't feel that after this year. I felt like I was at a different festival with some familiar landmarks. 

A lot of people I used to do festivals with can't believe I still go to a couple per year and I'm only 40.

I sometimes think what would they prefer me to do instead?  My girlfriend hates festivals so I do plenty of other holidays and small getaways with her, I also fit in football most of the time during the colder months.

I sometimes think its jealousy that they got old and boring whereas I haven't. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Totally agree, something has changed, can't quite figure out exactly what.

You and the festival 

The festival is a reflection of current society and perhaps its changed so much that the majority of people and the music on offer has finally got too far away from what you enjoy. 

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

You and the festival 

The festival is a reflection of current society and perhaps its changed so much that the majority of people and the music on offer has finally got too far away from what you enjoy. 

That plus a 3 year break invoking mild cases of Paris Syndrome.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

The festival is a reflection of current society

In recent years possibly, but certainly in the 80's it was a reflection of alternative society, almost like a secret for people on the outside of social norms.

The BBC getting involved was IMO the beginning of the changes, the festival was suddenly far more out in the open. 

Now instead of being a counter-culture event for rebels and outsiders it's become a great British institution along with the likes of Wimbledon, Last Night of the Proms, The Grand National etc

15 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

You and the festival 

For me personally I think you're probably correct. Not so much the music on offer, but definitely the people. Far too many of them, way too busy for me to enjoy it. 

So many huge groups schlepping around together and shouting, why all the shouting? Like others have said not really interested in what's going on around them. At times it felt like an enormous hen/stag do.  

I can't really comment on the substances being taken, I've taken my own body weight in substances over the years. (But...I'm sure the drugs were nicer then 😏)

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Totally agree, something has changed, can't quite figure out exactly what.

You’ve changed. Not a bad thing of course, we all change. That’s life. 

There’ll be a point every single one of us here will change to the point it’s no longer our thing. 

At the same time the yoof will be having the time of their fucking life. 

Pass the baton.