How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

21 hours ago, kalifire said:

BG always gets a good reputation but I can never pinpoint a good location in that field. Got any tips, given you won’t be back next time? 😉

Of course mate. 

We entered via Gate B and walked down Muddy Lane.

You have trees lining the whole path, with several gaps where you can cut in. We probably walked to the 3rd or 4th little gap and then set up there.

Bonus is the trees offer shade from the morning sun, we had a view of The Pyramid and the breakfast options close by were all good. 

This was our exact location…

https://w3w.co/sentences.move.resolves

And this was our view….

6EACF968-EC59-4FDD-923D-B81496EC2E80.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Of course mate. 

We entered via Gate B and walked down Muddy Lane.

You have trees lining the whole path, with several gaps where you can cut in. We probably walked to the 3rd or 4th little gap and then set up there.

Bonus is the trees offer shade from the morning sun, we had a view of The Pyramid and the breakfast options close by were all good. 

This was our exact location…

https://w3w.co/sentences.move.resolves

And this was our view….

6EACF968-EC59-4FDD-923D-B81496EC2E80.jpeg

What time were you in the queue for such a camping spot?

We camped in big ground 2005-2010, then when our group got too big and it started filling up a lot earlier than it used to so started using Hawkwell for a few years... then drifted over the Railway bridge to Park Home in 2015!

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

What time were you in the queue for such a camping spot?

We camped in big ground 2005-2010, then when our group got too big and it started filling up a lot earlier than it used to so started using Hawkwell for a few years... then drifted over the Railway bridge to Park Home in 2015!

Should have mentioned, our friends took our tent on for us. 

Think they pitched up around 1pm on Wednesday, we arrived the next day.

There was still space for a few small tents Thursday afternoon, but you couldn’t have fit a big group in. 

Edited by nikkic

18 hours ago, gfa said:

Trainer wise i'd get some Air maxes. Nike SBs / converse / vans give you no support really and don't have the comfy sole - just my take. I wore air max 1s and had no issues

I combined those options, and would recommend. 

Nike SB Stefan Janoski Max Leather QS Black/Metallic Cool Grey | HYPEBEAST

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

link?

Not manufactured any more I believe, so need to buy deadstock.

Loads on this website, but pricey: https://stockx.com/en-gb/nike/sb/janoski

I got mine on eBay second hand so I wouldn't be bothered about destroying them at the farm if conditions were poor, or with dust. 

Price on some of them is silly: https://thesolesupplier.co.uk/release-dates/nike/janoski/nike-sb-stefan-janoski-max-l-sequoia/ 

I have a pair like this too:

Nike SB Stefan Janoski Max Suede Wolf Grey | Where To Buy | 685299-011 |  The Sole Supplier

Edited by blutarsky

5 hours ago, nikkic said:

Should have mentioned, our friends took our tent on for us. 

Think they pitched up around 1pm on Wednesday, we arrived the next day.

There was still space for a few small tents Thursday afternoon, but you couldn’t have fit a big group in. 

Had mine pitched by 9am Wed beneath the last remaining tree in BG - had to get into Q by 2am Wed to have a chance mind. Wonderful for shade - can get boggy in the rain. Shared the tent with a little mouse who lived in the tree....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I got mine on eBay second hand so I wouldn't be bothered about destroying them at the farm if conditions were poor, or with dust. 

Price on some of them is silly: https://thesolesupplier.co.uk/release-dates/nike/janoski/nike-sb-stefan-janoski-max-l-sequoia/ 

Nike SB Stefan Janoski Max Suede Wolf Grey | Where To Buy | 685299-011 |  The Sole Supplier

Got my airmax 1s off ebay too for about £40. Definitely a good site, depop / vinted are decent options too or even facebook marketplace

15 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Had mine pitched by 9am Wed beneath the last remaining tree in BG - had to get into Q by 2am Wed to have a chance mind. Wonderful for shade - can get boggy in the rain. Shared the tent with a little mouse who lived in the tree....

2005 we left Oxford on the Wednesday at midday, got in and pitched up in BG by about 3-4pm and virtually had the pick of the field...oh how times have changed. 🙂 

19 hours ago, blutarsky said:

nice one will take a look

On 7/11/2022 at 2:54 PM, Gnomicide said:

While that's true, it we'd have travelled down Tuesday night we'd have been in the car parks before the real shit hit the fan, though Campervans were having a nightmare on the Tuesday. A similar thing happened going to Latitude one year where we thought we'd rock up late and it took us 9 hours to get there, 5 more than it should have done. This has led me to believe my using the phrase "shall we rock up later this year?" is a curse.

I certainly don't rule out a later arrival for the future but getting in this year was the smoothest it's ever been for us. 4 hours from back of queue to tent up sounds like a nightmare but it really wasn't. We were sat in camping chairs not moving for about 2 hours of that so only really queuing stood up for an hour or so, then 30 minutes from gate to camp.

Yeah we hit the campervan queue at about 3pm on the Tuesday, and didn't move an inch until 9am on the Wednesday morning, 3 miles from site. Fucking nightmare.

Been thinking about this a bit more - I'd put in more effort to get in closer to stages, or into the pit.

I was listening to Wet Leg earlier and was transported back to The Park, but did have a nagging feeling I might have had even more fun if I'd been closer. My best gig was probably IDLES, where I was in the thick of it. I genuinely reckon I'd only have enjoyed it half as much if I'd stayed by the sound desk. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Been thinking about this a bit more - I'd put in more effort to get in closer to stages, or into the pit.

I was listening to Wet Leg earlier and was transported back to The Park, but did have a nagging feeling I might have had even more fun if I'd been closer. My best gig was probably IDLES, where I was in the thick of it. I genuinely reckon I'd only have enjoyed it half as much if I'd stayed by the sound desk. 

I can relate to this. With so much on offer over such a long time period I think I fell into the trap of feeling like I was always saving myself for the next thing. That paid-off in one respect, because I still had the legs for it on Sunday, but I do need to dive-in headfirst a bit more often!

43 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Getting in amongst it for certain acts definitely makes it a better experience although we got relatively far forward for Little Simz and it kind of ruined it for us as even though we were right in the thick of it the people right nearby were more keen on having a conversation and seemed annoyed with Simbi for interrupting them so they kept shouting louder. It was really difficult to get away from them because it was rammed so we ended up leaving and just getting to the side which obviously also had lots of chatters. So maybe we also need to interview the people close by to see how into it they are likely to be. See those journalist skills could come in useful for you!! 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

It's funny you mentioned this. I have been reflecting since coming home on why it just didn't click for me as much this year and the overall theme seems to be I was a bit too far from some of the stuff.

This was a combination of anxiety, CBA and moving around the site and arriving at sets quite late.

Just comparing to 2019,  I just got closer in for stuff and made the effort to get immersed.  The sets I enjoyed the most this year were the ones I got up and made the effort and moshed the shit out of l.

Note to self: just fucking get on it in the future. Grow a set 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Getting in amongst it for certain acts definitely makes it a better experience although we got relatively far forward for Little Simz and it kind of ruined it for us as even though we were right in the thick of it the people right nearby were more keen on having a conversation and seemed annoyed with Simbi for interrupting them so they kept shouting louder. It was really difficult to get away from them because it was rammed so we ended up leaving and just getting to the side which obviously also had lots of chatters. So maybe we also need to interview the people close by to see how into it they are likely to be. See those journalist skills could come in useful for you!! 

You shouldn't be able to have a conversation that close to the stage. Sound levels were wrong - too quiet.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

You shouldn't be able to have a conversation that close to the stage. Sound levels were wrong - too quiet.

Maybe but when you are very close to people and they are shouting it's going to break the magic no matter how loud the sound is. Her sound check in the morning sounded bob on and it's one of the few sets that I actually enjoyed it more on tv afterwards than my experience in the field. 

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I've had this a few times when relatively close to the front.  The only one this year was when Dave Grohl came on with Macca.  Some woman behind us just started screaming his name at the top of her lungs over and over until a few people turned round and told her to shut the fuck up.

4 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I've had this a few times when relatively close to the front.  The only one this year was when Dave Grohl came on with Macca.  Some woman behind us just started screaming his name at the top of her lungs over and over until a few people turned round and told her to shut the fuck up.

I had that a bit at Sugababes. Basically a group spending 50% (and I'm not exaggerating) of the time screaming how they were having a great time. I do suspect the white powder they were consuming was a factor.

I'm definitely gonna be arriving Thursday next year (if I get tickets again 🙏). The extra days hangover isn't worth it just to watch some fireworks cramped in between 100 000 + other people at the park. I've a feeling next year's line up is gonna be special and want to be in top shape to get maximum enjoyment😀😉

59 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Hahaha. Look forward to seeing you with clipboard surveying the crowd. Big red cross next to some.

Turning to Mr GP "not here love, not a chance of a good time" 

"Too much marching powder with this group"

😁

10 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Hahaha. Look forward to seeing you with clipboard surveying the crowd. Big red cross next to some.

Turning to Mr GP "not here love, not a chance of a good time" 

"Too much marching powder with this group"

😁

Just a casual chat where I ask them do they love fake song title as much as I do. If they say yes we move one 😄 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

The mosh pits at JP on Sunday for Amyl and Turnstile were even better. Other than Macca, my most fond memory from this year.