How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

EE seem to have decent coverage although I never saw 5G … instead of completely changing networks many phones offer dual sim capability so you can switch between networks … so might be worth having a pay as you go sim as a secondary network which you can just switch to as and when needed . I had this as a backup plan but didn’t need it as EE was my primary account 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

EE seem to have decent coverage although I never saw 5G … instead of completely changing networks many phones offer dual sim capability so you can switch between networks … so might be worth having a pay as you go sim as a secondary network which you can just switch to as and when needed . I had this as a backup plan but didn’t need it as EE was my primary account 

Good shout - my phone has dual sim functionality 🙂

Thanks!

With it being my first year, we learnt a few lessons. We arrived Thursday AM and burnt ourselves out by Sunday. This was a combination of drinking and being on our feet every hour of the day except for sleep. Would probably stave off the boozing until later in the afternoon next time.

I have no desire to do the Tuesday overnight thing. I'd like to arrive Wednesday late afternoon, breeze in and prepare for Thursday. On that note, i'd like to do it in more comfort...Worthy View, Sticklinch or a motorhome campervan are my preference for next year.

I feel like Friday, Saturday and Sunday's itinerary depends on the line up and what suits your taste. Friday felt like a bit of a freak day in terms of wanting to see a lot. Saturday and Sunday wasn't like that. I'd probably look to take it easy next time round if we had days similar to Saturday and Sunday. Stick in one place for a few acts rather than bouncing about.

Oh and don't spend four days in Converse.

10 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

With it being my first year, we learnt a few lessons. We arrived Thursday AM and burnt ourselves out by Sunday. This was a combination of drinking and being on our feet every hour of the day except for sleep. Would probably stave off the boozing until later in the afternoon next time.

I have no desire to do the Tuesday overnight thing. I'd like to arrive Wednesday late afternoon, breeze in and prepare for Thursday. On that note, i'd like to do it in more comfort...Worthy View, Sticklinch or a motorhome campervan are my preference for next year.

I feel like Friday, Saturday and Sunday's itinerary depends on the line up and what suits your taste. Friday felt like a bit of a freak day in terms of wanting to see a lot. Saturday and Sunday wasn't like that. I'd probably look to take it easy next time round if we had days similar to Saturday and Sunday. Stick in one place for a few acts rather than bouncing about.

Oh and don't spend four days in Converse.

This would kill me.  Mrs 4AM swears by Converse and Vans.  Thinks they're the comfiest thing going.  I just can't get on with either, probably as I've got super-wide Hobbit feet.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This would kill me.  Mrs 4AM swears by Converse and Vans.  Thinks they're the comfiest thing going.  I just can't get on with either, probably as I've got super-wide Hobbit feet.

I think it’s down to the arch shape of your feet. If you’ve got low arches - flatter feet - and your feet naturally stabilise without arch support then you might get away with flat shoes like Converse. 

I have high arches - if I try to walk any distance in Converse I’m in agony. 😬

1 hour ago, amfy said:

Tbf I think EE are better everywhere. My husband is in Sky & I seem to have to hotspot him everywhere we go!

At Villa Park, I can be watching an illegal stream of the game in the beer queue while everyone around me can’t even message their mates to say where they’ll be waiting with the beers!

It’s a dilemma - I’m coming to the end of my contract & EE are more expensive, but that signal might just be worth it!

Out of interest, what do you pay for SIM only with EE? 

I'm on o2 SIM only and it was shocking for me at Glastonbury this year...was basically like being off grid, which was good in a sense that I didn't chain myself to my phone but also meant getting hold of anyone was a nightmare.

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

I think it’s down to the arch shape of your feet. If you’ve got low arches - flatter feet - and your feet naturally stabilise without arch support then you might get away with flat shoes like Converse. 

I have flat feet, one foot is an 11 and one is an 11 1/2 🙂 

I wear Nike SBs at festivals when the weather is good and they've never caused me any problems.

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm on o2 SIM only and it was shocking for me at Glastonbury this year...was basically like being off grid, which was good in a sense that I didn't chain myself to my phone but also meant getting hold of anyone was a nightmare.

I had to keep tethering off my mate. Wasn't great. 

11 minutes ago, David_303 said:

I had to keep tethering off my mate. Wasn't great. 

I had to keep getting other friends to message other friends in our whatsapp group on my behalf...tbh by Saturday i just gave up with it and pretty much spent the last two days with a couple of other mates who I was camped with.

Some friends I had spent the last three years constantly talking to about the festival I didn't see from the Friday evening onwards! Odd!

55 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I know you didn't quote me but in case you are interested on 1p mobile I pay £15 a month for 50gb of data.  BT who also use EE whilst seem more expensive do have some good deals if you go through Top cashback 

I came on the Wednesday afternoon by train, highly recommended. The strike didn't effect anything, we had one delay that meant we missed our train to castle Cary,so the train company stopped our train at a unplanned stop and then stopped an express to London for us to board and the other 50 odd Glastonbury goers and stopped that at castle Cary, felt like a royal. Haha, will always go by train if I can. 

Had a pre erected tent thing close to JP, will deffo be doing that again if I can. Not lugging any camping gear made it a lot more manageable coming by train. 

My phone was a joke, I'm on 3 and it was useless, deffo be going dual sim or having dedicated festival phone next year. 

I probably won't bother with the SE corner again as it was just too busy and not enjoyable to mooch around. 

I flew straight out to Greece from Bristol Airport on the Monday morning, left before the headliners finished and was by a pool by midday. Was great for my hangover not sure if I'll do it again as it was a long time to be away and I missed the kids and dogs. 

It was an expensive couple of weeks all in all. 

Edited by PabloCoke

3 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I have flat feet, one foot is an 11 and one is an 11 1/2 🙂 

I wear Nike SBs at festivals when the weather is good and they've never caused me any problems.

Trainer wise i'd get some Air maxes. Nike SBs / converse / vans give you no support really and don't have the comfy sole - just my take. I wore air max 1s and had no issues

4 hours ago, jimmillen said:

I’m a flat footed person, but who also has bunions so I need a wider shoe. Rocket dogs are now my sneaker of choice and I did the whole festival wearing mine this year, nice and wide, and have memory foam soles 👌

Way better than converse, and much funkier fabric patterns!

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Tbh - I don’t know what sim only is because I always get a new phone because I have usually battered my old one by the time comes.

My renewal with a not quite latest iPhone & any decent level of data is at least £45/mth. Sky is less than half that with the very latest model.

1 hour ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Warmer sleeping bag next time. The standard issue was just not up to it.Worthy View is at least a couple of degrees colder when you get up there at night

Get a down bag. No looking back once purchased 

17 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Now we have a fresh and black...remember to take a lamp or torch. Couldnt find a fookin thing in there if you dropped  it 

I invested in a luminoodle…and that saved my arse during the day several times trying to find my black phone within the black tent

17 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Warmer sleeping bag next time. The standard issue was just not up to it.Worthy View is at least a couple of degrees colder when you get up there at night

maybe try an oodie instead of any sleeping bag/duvet. I bought 6 last christmas for family and they all love them and sleep in them, I kept the spare one and its great to sleep in when its cold epsecially after night shifts as i put the hood up and keeps the daylight out. Ive since found out my dad steals my mums oodie so thats his xmas present sorted haha

• Upvote 1

All in all I had an amazing Glasto this year. In terms of what I'd do differently:

- More Moth cocktails, we ran out on Saturday and we were a bit sad about it. Those espresso martinis were an amazing pick me up.

- Take less spirits. I cut it right back this year to 1 litre of gin and 1 litre of vodka. Drank half the vodka and didn't touch the gin at all, which meant the tins of tonic I'd brought were a total waste of energy! Bought drinks at the bars mostly.

- Don't take an unknown strength of acid on Thursday again - that was a massive error.

One thing I did that I was very pleased with myself about, was to pack a large thermos flask which I'd filled with ice at home Wednesday morning. Still had ice Thursday afternoon and we were also able to buy a bag on one of the days to restock the Thermos. During said unadvisable acid trip, I was overheating and that ice sorted me right out.

8 minutes ago, Skoo said:

All in all I had an amazing Glasto this year. In terms of what I'd do differently:

- More Moth cocktails, we ran out on Saturday and we were a bit sad about it. Those espresso martinis were an amazing pick me up.

- Take less spirits. I cut it right back this year to 1 litre of gin and 1 litre of vodka. Drank half the vodka and didn't touch the gin at all, which meant the tins of tonic I'd brought were a total waste of energy! Bought drinks at the bars mostly.

- Don't take an unknown strength of acid on Thursday again - that was a massive error.

One thing I did that I was very pleased with myself about, was to pack a large thermos flask which I'd filled with ice at home Wednesday morning. Still had ice Thursday afternoon and we were also able to buy a bag on one of the days to restock the Thermos. During said unadvisable acid trip, I was overheating and that ice sorted me right out.

Sounds like an interesting story. 🙂