How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

47 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Incredible cocktails looking forward to seeing what new ones they do next year

Pro-tip. I bought them from their website, they then wrote and said if I reviewed them, they'd give me 10% of my. next order. And what's that I spy? EOTR on the horizon a week after my 50th. Yes please.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

*the fun alternatives would make me worse 😁

Dont know if I could ever do a dry Glasto - maybe when my livers fucked and I have no choice!

Many years ago I was on antibiotics during the festival and so couldn't drink.  I had a great time and felt so much fresher in the mornings, also my post festival recovery time was greatly reduced.

This experience partly led to me giving up alcohol entirely, never regretted it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

They clearly may get issues with early coaches, if they let later people fill them so those with designated tickets couldn't get on. 

Many of us have done the opposite though and got a later one than scheduled and they were happy to just fill the seats - maybe as time passes the level of no shows are clearer or maybe they were more rigorous due to strike? 

This year I only needed single but had a return as it was a panicked resale, didn't use that leg and simply got GF3 bus to Bristol. Pay driver and get on, small fast queue. 

What time was that? I was waiting ages, and had to get a National Express back in the end!

22 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Pro-tip. I bought them from their website, they then wrote and said if I reviewed them, they'd give me 10% of my. next order. And what's that I spy? EOTR on the horizon a week after my 50th. Yes please.

Think I managed to take advantage of a 20% off offer so they worked out at around £2.40 a can

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

What time was that? I was waiting ages, and had to get a National Express back in the end!

Pretty swift for us tbh, as we didn't need to do much before departure, but we did take a very leisurely stroll up and aren't early risers. 

Maybe midday-ish? 

• Like 1

After a good few fests under my belt I think my game is pretty strong, but I ALWAYS make the same mistakes:-

• Get too giddy Weds/Thurs, walk round too much and shred my legs/feet so that by Sunday, I'm fucking crippled.
  • Too adventurous with the clash finder and don't properly take into account the crowds/distances and my wrecked feet (see above).
  • Never spend enough time in the Greenfields.

I may learn one day. But I wouldn't put money on it.

10 hours ago, The Nal said:

I got a spot in Lime Kiln at 11am on Thursday. Very close to where I wouldve been aiming for had I been there on Wednesday. So I dont really see the point in an early Wednesday arrival. 

2019 was awful. 2013 wasnt great and even as far back as 2010 was 4-5 hours to get in. 

Lime Kiln for 4pm Wednesday next time. Avalon Inn for 5.30pm. 

Good to know that was possible. I didn't venture up that way when wandering about, the map indicated that part of Wicket might have been given back to general camping. Was that the case? The last time I went (2017) all below the concrete roadway was given over to family camping. 

Avalon Inn only happens after Chai at the Lizzard Cafe in green futures! 

8 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Good to know that was possible. I didn't venture up that way when wandering about, the map indicated that part of Wicket might have been given back to general camping. Was that the case? The last time I went (2017) all below the concrete roadway was given over to family camping. 

Yep still the case now. 

8 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Avalon Inn only happens after Chai at the Lizzard Cafe in green futures! 

No way man. Me after setting the tent up just about to hit the Avalon....

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c51a087c97188413fa

29 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Thought of another one...

- Buy a from different SIM card provider for my phone (NOT GiffGaff, who were so bad I hardly got reception at all)

Who had the best signal? I'm assuming EE, given their presence on site.

I had EE and it was 5G or 4G all weekend with no issues. Friends on pretty much every other provider had no or very slow internet and intermittent signal the whole time

29 minutes ago, kalifire said:

- Buy a from different SIM card provider for my phone (NOT GiffGaff, who were so bad I hardly got reception at all)

Yep they are definitely the best. Husband is on EE and he was uploading videos whilst I couldn't even get enough signal to send a WhatsApp message. 

Have to say I was surprised at this. I assumed EE got the sponsorship deal for providing a service for all not just their customers. 

Some of my lessons from 2019 actually caused me issues this year, while I drank less on the Tuesday night in the campervan fields to improve my Wednesday this year, I then hit it far too hard on the Wednesday so Thursday morning was very slow going. Though giving the SE corner a miss on Thursday night definitely improved my Friday this year which I knew was going to be a busy one.

While we went on our usual Thursday bar crawl, we didn't actually buy a drink until 6pm so ran out of cans far too quickly.

Venture somewhere other than the Park on Wednesday as everyone seems to be up there now. 

Eat more.

14 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

After a good few fests under my belt I think my game is pretty strong, but I ALWAYS make the same mistakes:-

• Get too giddy Weds/Thurs, walk round too much and shred my legs/feet so that by Sunday, I'm fucking crippled.
  • Too adventurous with the clash finder and don't properly take into account the crowds/distances and my wrecked feet (see above).
  • Never spend enough time in the Greenfields.

I may learn one day. But I wouldn't put money on it.

Takes a while, this was my 8th and this was the first year I actually took your points on board, and yes it did improve my experience. This year was a good one for figuring out how to enjoy the festival without burning out for me.

54 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'm on Three, and had good data connection when I arrived on Monday, but when the masses arrived on Wednesday, this quickly disappeared.  After then, I could only get a data connection in the early hours of the morning or if I was up at somewhere like Strummerville - presumably because that puts you in line of sight of an off-site phone mast. Calls/SMS were a little bit better, but still lots of failed calls and undelivered messages. 

Also had a Vodafone dongle, and that had decent data connection throughout. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I switched just before the festival from Sky who use O2 to 1p mobile who use EE.  Didn't have any problems the whole festival. 

Think we'll go back to Worthy View next year, or maybe Sticklinch. 

Had a superb spot in Big Ground this year and really enjoyed camping there for the first time, but it's looking like we'll have a bigger group for 2023 and the majority want to go with pre-erected camping.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Think we'll go back to Worthy View next year, or maybe Sticklinch. 

Had a superb spot in Big Ground this year and really enjoyed camping there for the first time, but it's looking like we'll have a bigger group for 2023 and the majority want to go with pre-erected camping.

Actually with regards to that, is it 6 or 8 tickets you can buy in one go?

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Actually with regards to that, is it 6 or 8 tickets you can buy in one go?

Was 6.  No idea what it will be this year but it's been 6 for ages.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Yep they are definitely the best. Husband is on EE and he was uploading videos whilst I couldn't even get enough signal to send a WhatsApp message. 

Have to say I was surprised at this. I assumed EE got the sponsorship deal for providing a service for all not just their customers. 

Tbf I think EE are better everywhere. My husband is in Sky & I seem to have to hotspot him everywhere we go!

At Villa Park, I can be watching an illegal stream of the game in the beer queue while everyone around me can’t even message their mates to say where they’ll be waiting with the beers!

It’s a dilemma - I’m coming to the end of my contract & EE are more expensive, but that signal might just be worth it!