How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

4 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

Next year ill need to bring more cocaine as mine ran out on Saturday night and i therefore had to go off in search of some, which wasted a couple of hours. In the end the stuff i got off some scousers was ok, but nowhere near as good as the stuff i get in London. I guess its a good idea to bring way more than you need, but with sniff it's easy to go overboard and not leave enough for Sunday.  

In terms of arrival, i normally turn up on Wednesday evening, after all the keen people have gone through. By then, the security cant be arsed to search your bag properly anymore as they have had a long day. This is good if you bring in large quantities of laughing gas to sell, as hiding multiple 100s of canisters can be tricky. Other than that, it doesn't really matter what time i arrive anyway because I am always assured of a good spot on Pennards, my mates have it all sorted. I find it hilarious that people queue overnight just to be first through the gates, little do they know there are people waiting in the wings having gained entry in the preceding days, who just before the gates open make their way over to the best spots to set up camp and save others space nearby. 

Fucking Pablo Escobar here. 

• Upvote 1

- Take way less stuff and take just as much money to buy all food and drink. I used my stove once on the first morning.  
- That’ll be easier because I’ll probably not take my son next year. 
- Spend more time wandering the green fields and spending time in the cafe’s. etc. up there (some seem ideal for chilling on mushrooms). I’d like to catch up with Olivia from Bolivia. 
- Try and get at least one more shower! 

I felt like a lot of this year was re-acclimatising myself to the place. Now I’ve got an idea where stuff is I can figure out where to spend my time. 

4 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

Next year ill need to bring more cocaine as mine ran out on Saturday night and i therefore had to go off in search of some, which wasted a couple of hours. In the end the stuff i got off some scousers was ok, but nowhere near as good as the stuff i get in London. I guess its a good idea to bring way more than you need, but with sniff it's easy to go overboard and not leave enough for Sunday.  

In terms of arrival, i normally turn up on Wednesday evening, after all the keen people have gone through. By then, the security cant be arsed to search your bag properly anymore as they have had a long day. This is good if you bring in large quantities of laughing gas to sell, as hiding multiple 100s of canisters can be tricky. Other than that, it doesn't really matter what time i arrive anyway because I am always assured of a good spot on Pennards, my mates have it all sorted. I find it hilarious that people queue overnight just to be first through the gates, little do they know there are people waiting in the wings having gained entry in the preceding days, who just before the gates open make their way over to the best spots to set up camp and save others space nearby. 

YARN | And we were always looking for this guy named Charlie. | Forrest Gump  (1994) | Video gifs by quotes | 9ded64a4 | 紗

• Upvote 2

I’m terms of arrival times, it is one of the main reasons I usually stay in Worthy View. Arrive on Wednesday but in absolutely no rush, it can take me a day or so to ‘wind up’ to the festival so like to do that, gently, well before I start worrying about clashes etc

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Funny you should mention that, as my return See tickets coach this year was 5.30am on the Monday to Oxford.....our coach got called and there was a guy with a mini iPad thing and he was checking everyone's names off a list to make sure they were booked on that specific coach. You couldn't  board the coach without getting past him first and they were refusing people who were booked on later coaches.

Perhaps the days of just letting anyone on any coach are over....

Interesting! Although I've seen people saying the opposite of this year so I guess just luck of the draw?

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Was this the type you had, Mardy? I've taken a gamble on one. Only concern is the finger holes clogging up if it's a muddy one but I reckon a carrier bag over the bottom would solve that.

Not sure it’s exactly the same one. I got mine from Amazon, but I’m sure it’s near enough

13 hours ago, kalifire said:

- Take a proper pillow (or a comfortable camping version). 

- Camp somewhere different. 

- Arrive on Thursday? 

- Approach my itinerary more tactically. 

Did all of those, but then I'm in 50s even less fit than 2019 and was coaching. 

Hence camping pillowcase (just stuff it with clothes to make as firm as you like), Bunkpad in sticklinch - no need to carry bed or get camping spot, lightweight fishing stool, clips to rucksack for coach trip, can use to sit down when eating or at back of crowds (so as not to be a nuisance).  Arrival day was Thursday simply as that's when resale coach came up, very glad I didn't have the journey some poor souls did - off the coach through the gate. 

Edited by clarkete

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Funny you should mention that, as my return See tickets coach this year was 5.30am on the Monday to Oxford.....our coach got called and there was a guy with a mini iPad thing and he was checking everyone's names off a list to make sure they were booked on that specific coach. You couldn't  board the coach without getting past him first and they were refusing people who were booked on later coaches.

Perhaps the days of just letting anyone on any coach are over....

They clearly may get issues with early coaches, if they let later people fill them so those with designated tickets couldn't get on. 

Many of us have done the opposite though and got a later one than scheduled and they were happy to just fill the seats - maybe as time passes the level of no shows are clearer or maybe they were more rigorous due to strike? 

This year I only needed single but had a return as it was a panicked resale, didn't use that leg and simply got GF3 bus to Bristol. Pay driver and get on, small fast queue. 

Things worked out well for me again this year.  Put on last clean items of clothing Monday morning, drank the last of the booze waiting for the coach and my coach arrival time (Wed lunchtime) was ideal for both minimal queuing (20 mins) and there still being plenty of space.  

I used to do the overnight queue thing but I've reached the point where I'd rather have the extra rest the night before and more energy.  If anything I'm thinking of arriving later on Wednesday next year and pitching up in the early evening instead as like others have said it's just more wandering time around the site.

I got a blackout tent, not sure it had a huge amount of impact.  Planning to add a mylar layer to the inner tent to improve this for next time as I woke up sweaty at 9am every day (improvement from 7am, but hardly a major one).  My son had a f&b one and reported the same.  I think with a few amendments it could be improved upon.

I made a decision it was going to be all full sets this year, none of this nonsense where you see half of this and half of that and spend more time moving around than actually enjoying the music.  This worked out well for me on the whole, although Sat and Sun were a little dry for me music wise compared to Friday, which was non-stop from opener to headliner.  I blame a bit of a weak bill (for my taste) this year.

Just now, Pinhead said:

Drink more water. Twice I nearly passed out in the heat cos I was just full of cider and beer and not enough water... Gettin old.

Drinking more water is great, so is not drinking alcohol*: save money, avoid hangovers and be a less annoying person in crowds.

* Far more interesting and fun alternatives are available.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Hence camping pillowcase (just stuff it with clothes to make as firm as you like), Bunkpad in sticklinch - no need to carry bed or get camping spot, lightweight fishing stool, clips to rucksack for coach trip, can use to sit down when eating or at back of crowds (so as not to be a nuisance).  

@1892 wanted to know a couple of things about sticklinch, I thought worth sharing here either for others to see options or disagree.

"Did the bunkpads get hot inside? How many of them were there roughly? And was the bed comfortable?" 

We arrived Thursday later coach so may have missed peak heat Wednesday? You can open the two small front windows and shove the bin on front of the door to hold that open for more fresh air - was fine for us. 

How many? I have no idea tbh, ours was in the row by the track near an exit, but didn't see how many are in a row or how many rows.  I gather most things in sticklinch or WV you need to be on your toes to get in the sale - mine was a resale and I spent a month waiting for one to come up, even then I took a 4 as I hadn't see any twos. 

Were beds comfortable? Plenty for us compared to 29 years of nothing, air beds, roll mats or caravan beds. Not sure how someone would get on if they were 6 for or so, as we aren't and I dunno how long bed is.