Neil Young 2023

Bomei

Just heard that NY and Crazy Horse have yet another album in the books, for release next year... Plus Michael teased in 2019 that he was gonna be around in 2020 so maybe he's gonna be booked in for one soon? 

I saw him at BST in 2019, co-headlining with Bob Dylan and he fuckin smashed it out the park with the promise of the real! Put Dylan to shame if you ask me, and I was more a fan of Dylan at the time! Not many people can rock as hard as Neil does, especially not in their 70s! Plus he's perfectly aligned with the festival's ideals, so maybe he's wanting to come back? 

However I can't see Neil agreeing to a legend slot. Very possibly headlining Other, but headlining Pyramid would be what he wants, nothing else. 

What do we think? Am I just a Dreaming Man or is this Old Man gonna rock glasto Like A Hurricane?! 

3 hours ago, Bomei said:

Just heard that NY and Crazy Horse have yet another album in the books, for release next year... Plus Michael teased in 2019 that he was gonna be around in 2020 so maybe he's gonna be booked in for one soon? 

I saw him at BST in 2019, co-headlining with Bob Dylan and he fuckin smashed it out the park with the promise of the real! Put Dylan to shame if you ask me, and I was more a fan of Dylan at the time! Not many people can rock as hard as Neil does, especially not in their 70s! Plus he's perfectly aligned with the festival's ideals, so maybe he's wanting to come back? 

However I can't see Neil agreeing to a legend slot. Very possibly headlining Other, but headlining Pyramid would be what he wants, nothing else. 

What do we think? Am I just a Dreaming Man or is this Old Man gonna rock glasto Like A Hurricane?! 

He's pyramid headliner or nothing I'd say, but I agree it's unlikely.

I was at Hyde Park too. Having seen both of them before, I knew Shakey would be incredible and Dylan would be......a bit rubbish. I caught the bus back to Victoria after & sat next to a woman who said to me "Oh wasn't Bob wonderful"? I decided to be diplomatic and said "I was mainly there to see Neil Young". She looked at me as if I'd murdered her children! 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Certainly a vocal number of annoyed fairweather Neil punters at the last Horse gig I was act. The 27 minute version of Walk Like A Giant sank like a stone.

The folk who got the red mist with Macca doing Maybe I'm Amazed would storm the stage.

Aye, this was from last time I saw him and Crazy Horse. A few crowd pleasers but a two week long version of Psychedelic Pill was a stretch for even the most devoted.

Screenshot_20220709-113332_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28220a821775d7b9b82926aeb4be9439.jpg

37 minutes ago, august1 said:

He's not a headliner with the current crowd, things have moved on too much. 

Whether he can accept playing the other who knows. 

Surely he just goes for BST again? Strikes me as the kind of chap who would possibly take mortal offence at being offered the Other.

Oof, I know this would take about seventeen miracles to even nearly take place, but would he be the best possible headliner for the Park stage imaginable? He bloody would yknow.
 give the programming over to him as a bargaining chip and he can choose the bands for all three days, headline on his own on Friday,  and with crazy horse on Saturday, and a ridiculous rare b-sides/full play through of Trans on Sunday . . . right, someone get some contracts written up and sorted before he changes his mind! 

• Upvote 1

I saw them in 2013 too and no, the set wasn’t full of crowd pleasers.

However, I saw them headline the Phoenix Festival in 1996 and apart from 3 from the then new album, it was classic Shakey. He knows what works for a festival crowd.

767B0CDE-685B-4C0E-87F3-D401046D5392.jpeg

Edited by henry bear

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

However, I saw them headline the Phoenix Festival in 1996 and apart from 3 from the then new album, it was classic Shakey. He knows what works for a festival crowd.

That was an awesome performance at Phoenix Festival. And who was I stood next to for it?........Michael Eavis & his wife!

Always up for Neiler but yeah, when people grumble at Radiohead and Macca for having duff setlist, when they drop tunes like Lucky and Can’t Buy Me Love at the start, suggests he could struggle headlining in 2023 with those set lists.

If he’s still capable quality/fitness wise of headlining then he should absolutely headline the thing.

Mad that we’ve really gotten to the stage where the 1975 are deemed a more worthy headliner of glastonbury festival than Neil Young in some quarters.

But yeah, hopefully an intervention by ME asking the powers that be to indulge him could sort it.

We probs don’t have many years left where its possible and in 20 years time we would all rue that day that the Eavises put in the 1975 instead of Neil Young for one last hurrah. Including erstwhile 1975 fans - who by the year 2042 will have matured and realised the 1975 are shite, and maybe have found time to give harvest a spin and thought, god i wish i’d have listened to this whilst I still had a chance to see the guy live.

4 hours ago, henry bear said:

That's one hell of a setlist. 

12 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Aye, this was from last time I saw him and Crazy Horse. A few crowd pleasers but a two week long version of Psychedelic Pill was a stretch for even the most devoted.

Screenshot_20220709-113332_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28220a821775d7b9b82926aeb4be9439.jpg

Never happened. I was there. Psychedelic Pill was like 5 minutes long. 

Neil won't be touring again any time soon, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, judyblue110 said:

Never happened. I was there. Psychedelic Pill was like 5 minutes long. 

Neil won't be touring again any time soon, unfortunately.

I must be mixing it up with something else then. I loved it but there were some lengthy jams.