Which is a bigger slot - pyramid sub or other headline?

gfa

Which is bigger?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. What slot is bigger?

• Pyramid Sub-headliner
    • Other Headliner

Noel Gallaghers’s midget eyebrow men were subs on the pyramid, but if they were headlining the Other you’d have heard the moaning from space. Its a slot for meh bands, the pyramid sub, not for actual excitement.

(Nb - I haven’t seen an Other headliner for yonks, whenever it was skrillex headlined - 2016? Maybe? 

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Noel Gallaghers’s midget eyebrow men were subs on the pyramid, but if they were headlining the Other you’d have heard the moaning from space. Its a slot for meh bands, the pyramid sub, not for actual excitement.

(Nb - I haven’t seen an Other headliner for yonks, whenever it was skrillex headlined - 2016? Maybe? 

Best Pyramid sub I remember seeing was Amy Winehouse, but in general I agree.

Sam Fender smashed the granny out of it this year. 

Noel had 100k people (minus Calgon) doing karaoke. 

The XX, Tame Impala, Foals, Libs, George Ezra, Vampire Weekend, Pharell, Faithless and Dizzee have all had rave reviews subbing. 

Close shot but would say Pyramid sub gets slightly bigger acts.

Usually when acts are at the height of their success but not headliner-level they sub Pyramid, then when they play again with a better show but less success it's Other headline.

Edited by Acid_Haze

I would say that the Pyramid sub is the bigger slot with more clout... 

First time this year, but over the years I've heard 'played the pyramid at glasto' and 'headlined the pyramid at glasto' thrown around, when describing an act's achievements, lots and lots... I've never heard 'headlined the other' listed as an achievement before... 

I am sure there are still people out there who think Glastonbury festival IS the Pyramid stage, not being aware of the 'Other' stage or the 90 something alternative stages... 

I'd say the order of ~bigness~ goes roughly like this.

Pyramid headline

Pyramid sub

Other headline

Pyramid 3rd down

Other sub

Pyramid 4th down

West Holts headliner/John peel headliner

Other 3rd down

Pyramid 5th/Other 4th down

Park headliner

Let’s face it, headlining the Other is a dead end, an acceptance that you’ll never be a Pyramid headliner. And whilst the Other headliners this year were relatively big, it isn’t always the case. It didn’t seem particularly prestigious in 2017 when Major Lazer, Alt-J & Boy Better Know topped T’Other

8 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Let’s face it, headlining the Other is a dead end, an acceptance that you’ll never be a Pyramid headliner. And whilst the Other headliners this year were relatively big, it isn’t always the case. It didn’t seem particularly prestigious in 2017 when Major Lazer, Alt-J & Boy Better Know topped T’Other

I mean, I'd have said the former two were close to the peak of their powers there? But yeah, it does feel like acceptance the jig is up if you're a young(ish) act still harbouring Pyramid-topping hopes. 

49 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Sam Fender smashed the granny out of it this year. 

Noel had 100k people (minus Calgon) doing karaoke. 

That's nothing to do with the talent or ability of the artists. It's down to the sheep like nature of the crowd.

Like how you wrote smashed the granny out of it , as their the only people I can see liking Sam Fender.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

That's nothing to do with the talent or ability of the artists. It's down to the sheep like nature of the crowd.

Like how you wrote smashed the granny out of it , as their the only people I can see liking Sam Fender.

It was lots of people having fun. 

Exactly what Glastonbury is about. 

On TV maybe Pyramid sub headliner edges it but in the fields Other Headliner because whoever is watching is there for you whereas sub headliner a good chunk of people are there just to get into position for the main event. 

Headliner is there for an act to win or lose but everyone who has turned up at least has a curiosity about you. 

Edited by gigpusher
Typo

Depends what "bigger" means? Biggest crowd or best gig? They aren't really comparable, they are different audiences, the Other headliner will be hip and trendy with the cool kids, the Pyramid sub will normally be a crowd pleaser (National excepted!). Elbow have subbed Pyramid god knows how many times, but they would get a really small crowd I think if they headlined Other. I think it's also to do with the time of day, a Pyramid sub will have the sun starting to go down, the Other headliner will mainly be in the dark which dictates the sort of acts who will work at each

Just now, dingbat2 said:

Depends what "bigger" means? Biggest crowd or best gig? They aren't really comparable, they are different audiences, the Other headliner will be hip and trendy with the cool kids, the Pyramid sub will normally be a crowd pleaser (National excepted!). Elbow have subbed Pyramid god knows how many times, but they would get a really small crowd I think if they headlined Other. I think it's also to do with the time of day, a Pyramid sub will have the sun starting to go down, the Other headliner will mainly be in the dark which dictates the sort of acts who will work at each

Other headliner to answer the question by the way!

5 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Not sure LCD Sound System, PSB, Chemical Brothers and New Order are hip and trendy with the cool kids, but then what would I know I'm neither a kid or cool.

Agree about the crowd pleaser about Pyramid sub (in general). Re Elbow, dreadful and Guy Garvey has to one of the most boring and annoying musicians out there, he's also arguably 6 musics worst.

15 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not sure LCD Sound System, PSB, Chemical Brothers and New Order are hip and trendy with the cool kids, but then what would I know I'm neither a kid or cool.

Agree about the crowd pleaser about Pyramid sub (in general). Re Elbow, dreadful and Guy Garvey has to one of the most boring and annoying musicians out there, he's also arguably 6 musics worst.

They are older, but more alternative and thats what other does well i think. Pyramid headliners are capital fm or would have been the equivalent in the day - super mainstream artists or more alternative ones that have properly crossed over / just huge. Smaller in general always means a bit more niche imo. Less camping chair crowd friendly may be a better word.

Some of those were the size back in the day but have just shrunk down though (chems and new order) so its also a bit of that too

Probably comparable but I've gone for Other as it is a headline slot. I know if you headline the Other you are less likely to headline the Pyramid but isn't that the same for subbing the Pyramid as well? I could be proven wrong of course but I suspect the chances of either headlining the Pyramid are small.

Looking at the Other headline/ Pyramid sub this year it's pretty interchangeable.

Friday: Sam Fender (Pyramid sub) 

Foals (Other Headliner). You could argue Sam Fender is still up and coming and thus has the more prestigious spot here.

Saturday: Noel Gallagher (Pyramid sub).

Megan There Stallion (Other Headliner). Whilst Noel is undoubtedly a bigger act you could argue this set is the reverse of Friday with Megan more likely to headline the Pyramid over Noel in the future.

Sunday: Lorde (Pyramid sub)

Pet Shop Boys (Other headliner)

Straight shoot out this one. Lorde been around a while now but not as big as PSB.

But again this is all opinion! 

Foals, Megan, PSB

Tame, Chems, CATQ

Major Lazer, Alt-j, Boy Better Know

Disclosure, New Order, LCD

Rudimental, Deadmau5, Chems

Skrillex, Bugg, Massive Attack 

Portishead, Chase & Status, The XX

Primal Scream, Chems, QOTSA

Lips, PSB, Orbital 

It's like a who's who of never quite made it.

Hang on, I've just checked the Pyramid subs. It's exactly the same. Both are a kiss of death.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Foals, Megan, PSB

Tame, Chems, CATQ

Major Lazer, Alt-j, Boy Better Know

Disclosure, New Order, LCD

Rudimental, Deadmau5, Chems

Skrillex, Bugg, Massive Attack 

Portishead, Chase & Status, The XX

Primal Scream, Chems, QOTSA

Lips, PSB, Orbital 

It's like a who's who of never quite made it.

Hang on, I've just checked the Pyramid subs. It's exactly the same. Both are a kiss of death.

Absolute nonsense. Those I've bolded have all been massive at some point. Just everyone in the country can name a PSB tune and most can sing a long. New Order produced the biggest selling dance single of all time, one that will always fill a floor.

Looks like you're one of those types that live under a bridge.