Pyramid Stage/other stage

charlie.light

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

They lost millions of pounds by missing out in 2020 and 2021. I expect they'll want to replenish their finances and get into a position of security before they embark on any mad Grand Designs.

I completely get that, but do you think the stages are looking a bit bland compared to other festivals

3 minutes ago, charlie.light said:

I completely get that, but do you think the stages are looking a bit bland compared to other festivals

I spoke about this at the festival to my mates. The Pyramid should stay as is IMO. It being what it is makes it iconic.

The other stage, revamp it. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I spoke about this at the festival to my mates. The Pyramid should stay as is IMO. It being what it is makes it iconic.

I agree that it’s iconic but at what point does iconic become outdated, it can still be a pyramid but could they add stuff to enhance it 

I think both stages are fantastic. The pyramid is iconic. The other stage is much better than it used to be as well. 

If they had money for bigger screens then that would be fine, but not essential. 

I haven't been to Reading festival for 10 years and I know it has changed since then, but having seen the wrap around screens in clips. They look good... but they aren't going to make a lot of difference. 

There is always room for improvement but you don't need to mess with the stages too much at the moment. 

• Like 1

First time this year and loved all the stages.  The Pyramid and Other were both fantastic visually and the sound was incredible as well.  As others have said - no need to fix what isn't broken - there are other things that need focussed on

The larger/HD screens this year were perfect as an upgrade. Anything bigger, you risk losing the soul of the festival and the backdrop of the Tor behind the stage. 

Regarding the Other stage, in 2015 this was the largest full stage in the country at the time and allowed full band setups to be wheeled from side stage. The stage encompassed the screens and speakers. From a roadie friend who worked for an act that year, it was under utilised and thus hasn’t been needed since, hence the updated stage since 2016. 

The other stage was only replaced with the new, larger boxy stage in recent years, they've upgraded the sound and it felt like it was the best it's ever been this year.  Pyramid also been sounding better than ever the last couple of festivals.

Like others have said, if there's money to be spent I'd rather it was spent elsewhere (better toilet and water provision, improve Arcadia).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, charlie.light said:

Is it time the pyramid stage got a revamp. Wrap around screens like at BST and Reading, more technology? 

Should this happen in the other stage too, I read it’s the biggest stage at Glastonbury in terms of stage space 

Both had a revamp this year. Larger screens on pyramid (I'd guess 1.5x to 2x larger) and repeater sound towers on the Other. 

I'd prefer they look at John Peel/west holts/Williams green if they want to tinker with areas.

5 minutes ago, uscore said:

maybe get a screen and more repeaters at the Park instead

Yeah. Seems on the map like there could be space to move the stage a little to increase capacity too (albeit maybe relocating some crew camping), but even every 1m the stage moves back is probably an additional thousand or so capacity.

Its not uncommon there is a foals, wet leg sized act there, and its a great stage, why not make it slightly more comfortable when taking on the big acts.

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Other stage is fine - its not the reading ones sure, but it doesn't need to be. It doesn't get 80k headliner crowds and in the day is easy to get up close to.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If it aint broke....

If they want to splash out there are other things they could spend noney on like even better drainage and more long drop blocks.

The monthly flags block the stage threads would disagree.

I think they need to wait at least a year for finances to recover and get money pumped back into SE corner / more fixing of Silver Hayes as it seemed these areas have dropped a bit since '19

2 hours ago, broken monkey said:

The larger/HD screens this year were perfect as an upgrade. Anything bigger, you risk losing the soul of the festival and the backdrop of the Tor behind the stage. 

Regarding the Other stage, in 2015 this was the largest full stage in the country at the time and allowed full band setups to be wheeled from side stage. The stage encompassed the screens and speakers. From a roadie friend who worked for an act that year, it was under utilised and thus hasn’t been needed since, hence the updated stage since 2016. 

Think it was there in 2016 as well, then changed to current version in 17.