Random Older Pop Acts 2023

gfa

On 7/9/2022 at 7:17 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

More hip hop than pop, but I'll continue to say that Salt-N-Pepa should be booked on West Holts until the day it comes to pass.

I saw them at BoomTown in 2019….absolutely outrageous live show and I loved it. 🙂

On 7/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, nikkic said:

Personal tastes aside, both would get a big crowd full of people enjoying themselves. 

Which is what it’s all about, no? 

It’s not as if they’ll be given a prominent slot. 

I've been thinking about this, and I'm going to stand by my original position.

I think just because something is popular and people would enjoy it, is not enough of a reason to book an act. The festival is a taste-maker, an arbiter of credibility and if it has zero standards in terms of quality and just goes on popularity, the overall experience diminishes. I am convinced that the only people interested in a Steps performance would be those who were children back in the day and are going out of personal nostalgia, rather because the music was any good - they always were a triumph of marketing over artistry.

I feel the same way about most manufactured music aimed at children, the X-Factor/Voice conveyer belts, novelty acts and tribute acts, all of which would be popular and people would enjoy. But is that the festival we want? I'd much rather those slots be given to lesser known artists who are struggling for exposure in a market dictated by labels. That's not to say every act that would fall into these categories should be dismissed, some of them produced genuinely good music (Girls Aloud) or have evolved into interesting artists (Styles) or are bona fide cultural phenomena (Spice Girls). But not Steps. Never Steps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Sadly now can’t happen but Girls aloud would have went down a storm but would have to be pyramid 

Totally agree. they had plans to reform this year. Biology, No Good Advice, Can't Speak French etc brilliant 

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I think just because something is popular and people would enjoy it, is not enough of a reason to book an act. The festival is a taste-maker, an arbiter of credibility and if it has zero standards in terms of quality and just goes on popularity, the overall experience diminishes.

I feel the same way about most manufactured music aimed at children, the X-Factor/Voice conveyer belts, novelty acts and tribute acts, all of which would be popular and people would enjoy. But is that the festival we want? I'd much rather those slots be given to lesser known artists who are struggling for exposure in a market dictated by labels.

Great post, absolutely spot on.

The festival should book a load of interesting ,but not necessarily large or mega popular acts, and announce the line up (as far as possible) before the ticket sale.

That would go a long way towards sorting out the crowd and keeping the "bucket listers" away.

• Like 2

There's absolutely a sweet spot where 'popular' and 'good' meet in the middle in a big grinning fuckfest. The festival should be aiming for this sweet spot. One does not preclude the other. For me there's too much cheesy nostalgia pop, I'd like to see more contemporary pop (a la the Harry Styles discussion on another thread). Olivia Rodrigo was fucking ace this year. Years and Years.

Just not one hit wonders 20 years on. they should all be diving a late-night minicab boring their punters about the time they were on TOTP. Not stinking up the Avalon/WH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

The festival is a taste-maker, an arbiter of credibility and if it has zero standards in terms of quality and just goes on popularity, the overall experience diminishes.

Noel Fucking Gallagher. 

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I think just because something is popular and people would enjoy it, is not enough of a reason to book an act. The festival is a taste-maker, an arbiter of credibility and if it has zero standards in terms of quality and just goes on popularity, the overall experience diminishes. I am convinced that the only people interested in a Steps performance would be those who were children back in the day and are going out of personal nostalgia, rather because the music was any good - they always were a triumph of marketing over artistry.

I feel the same way about most manufactured music aimed at children, the X-Factor/Voice conveyer belts, novelty acts and tribute acts, all of which would be popular and people would enjoy. But is that the festival we want? I'd much rather those slots be given to lesser known artists who are struggling for exposure in a market dictated by labels. That's not to say every act that would fall into these categories should be dismissed, some of them produced genuinely good music (Girls Aloud) or have evolved into interesting artists (Styles) or are bona fide cultural phenomena (Spice Girls). But not Steps. Never Steps.

Agree. There are loads of rewind festivals for things like this

Edited by fred quimby

19 minutes ago, Mardy said:

There's absolutely a sweet spot where 'popular' and 'good' meet in the middle in a big grinning fuckfest. The festival should be aiming for this sweet spot. One does not preclude the other. For me there's too much cheesy nostalgia pop, I'd like to see more contemporary pop (a la the Harry Styles discussion on another thread). Olivia Rodrigo was fucking ace this year. Years and Years.

Just not one hit wonders 20 years on. they should all be diving a late-night minicab boring their punters about the time they were on TOTP. Not stinking up the Avalon/WH

Glastonbury is different IMO. There is literally something for everyone. 

I'm not saying I'd be at half the suggested choices. Im definitely not saying there should be a full day of the shit on a stage, but I think 1 act somewhere does no harm. 

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Glastonbury is different IMO. There is literally something for everyone. 

I'm not saying I'd be at half the suggested choices. Im definitely not saying there should be a full day of the shit on a stage, but I think 1 act somewhere does no harm. 

Fair enough, yeah, but I feel it's a creeping element of the festival, very possible to spend the whole weekend with a full schedule and not see a band who've done anything of note in the last 20+ years.

20 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Fair enough, yeah, but I feel it's a creeping element of the festival, very possible to spend the whole weekend with a full schedule and not see a band who've done anything of note in the last 20+ years.

That's very fair. 

I saw my share of "older" acts this festival if I am honest. I saw a lot of with new stuff too, but ..

Primal Scream, Supergrass, Skunk Anansie, Noel G, McCartney, Di Ross, Jarvis. All of the above had their biggest hits in the previous millenium.

Jack White 15 years ago.

I take your point, they hardly feel "contemporary" as per the name of the festival.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

42 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That's very fair. 

I saw my share of "older" acts this festival if I am honest. I saw a lot of with new stuff too, but ..

Primal Scream, Supergrass, Skunk Anansie, Noel G, McCartney, Di Ross, Jarvis. All of the above had their biggest hits in the previous millenium.

Jack White 15 years ago.

I take your point, they hardly feel "contemporary" as per the name of the festival.

To give Jarvis due credit, he's not doing old Pulp stuff, so he's at least trying to be contemporary.

Although I can think of about 20 Pulp songs I'd rather listen to than any of his solo tunes.