Random Older Pop Acts 2023

gfa

9 hours ago, nikkic said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Gabrielle is still around and touring.

She has a few dates this Summer, then a bigger tour next Autumn, which I guess could extend into Summer 2023 festival dates.

I mentioned her, my sister saw her reletively recently & said she was decent.

How about Roachford, Hanson, I bet Lisa Stansfield can still sing her ass off, Eternal perhaps, the lovely Betty Boo (oh how I loved her), All Saints, Shola Ama. I'm sure Texas could command a reasonable slot, I'm sure they's smash a "gretest hits hour". Natalie Imbruglia, Jimmy Nail (fancied himself as credible, would draw a good crowd), some version of Wet Wet Wet.

I think Kenny Thomas would be mint, subbing acoustic perhaps?

Alison Moyet, for me, needs the right stage (excellent sound) but is fantastic. Definitely a step above the random nostalgia acts we've spoke of in here.

Edited by TheNewUnion
forgot Natalie.

7 hours ago, bucko said:

Deacon Blue

They are still going strong and could easily fill the acoustic like in 2011 up against a Friday pyramid headliner from the indie shelf.

Oh yes. One of my fave bands. Chose The Chemicals over them in 2011. Off to Edinburgh Castle to see them on Saturday.

Imagination - Leee John was on the last Gorillaz album and still sounding incredible. He used to wear one legged catsuits, a hat-brim and needs a glamorous environment.

Jimmy Somerville singing every Bronski Beat and Communards hit he can manage. For a Friend, Smalltown Boy, You are my world etc would blow my 80s teen tits off

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

How about Roachford, Hanson, I bet Lisa Stansfield can still sing her ass off, Eternal perhaps, the lovely Betty Boo (oh how I loved her), All Saints, Shola Ama. I'm sure Texas could command a reasonable slot, I'm sure they's smash a "gretest hits hour". Natalie Imbruglia, Jimmy Nail (fancied himself as credible, would draw a good crowd), some version of Wet Wet Wet.

Alison Moyet, for me, needs the right stage (excellent sound) but is fantastic. Definitely a step above the random nostalgia acts we've spoke of in here.

I think Betty Boo (gorgeous) is on the comeback trail with a new album this year, so a good shout for Avalon. I’m sure men of a certain age (mid 40s to mid50s) would attend….

I saw Roachford once, really unexciting, which is a shame, as he has some jams.

7 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

Lisa Stansfield went to my old school. She left about 10/12 years before I started, but half the teachers were still there.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

On 7/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

I watched Shaggy on a small stage in the Silver Hayes instead of Ed Sheeran..  it was alright. Better than the WH performance.

There were about 150 of us there. 

Miles better than watching Ed too.

At the Gully stage. It was hilarious ( for me ) because that was the only place in the entire festival where anyone was smoking weed out in the open. 

Think Steps will get a booking eventually.

There's a wider point here about as festival demographics shift, there is a clear interest from big crowds for these sort of "pop 90s/00s heritage" acts, as seen with mel C, Sugababes and Mcfly this year. Avalon either needs to expand or these acts need to be shifted elsewhere as those crowds were clearly dangerous, and it's only going to get worse. 

1 hour ago, nban2010 said:

There's a wider point here about as festival demographics shift, there is a clear interest from big crowds for these sort of "pop 90s/00s heritage" acts, as seen with mel C, Sugababes and Mcfly this year. Avalon either needs to expand or these acts need to be shifted elsewhere as those crowds were clearly dangerous, and it's only going to get worse. 

I dont think any of thrse acts got bigger crowds than the likes of The Wutzels or The Wombles did 10 years back. They definitely closed the field for The Wombles.

If it's something people are desperate to see, they just need to get there early.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dont think any of thrse acts got bigger crowds than the likes of The Wutzels or The Wombles did 10 years back. They definitely closed the field for The Wombles.

If it's something people are desperate to see, they just need to get there early.

Re The Wombles, no idea how many were there, but they should be ashamed. That was one that Michael 100% apologised for allowing to play.

1 hour ago, nban2010 said:

Caught Steps at Mighty Hoopla and they absolutely still have it - still producing decent new material too (can't comment much on albums but some of their more recent tracks are bangers).

Fully agree on that final part - acts like this should 100% be opening (or second on) the Pyramid – Bjorn Again the other year were fantastic. Perfect way to start the day/weekend.