Random Older Pop Acts 2023

gfa

1 minute ago, Furq said:

I refuse to think about this further. Was supposed to see TFF at Shepherd's Bush on Monday - their most-intimate UK for decades? - and I had to pull out due to sickness. *sob*

Simple Minds are an odd one. Too big for a minor slot at Glastonbury, but not known enough by the kidz for a big one? Great musicianship these days, with none of the late-80s pomposity...

Hoping to catch Tears for Fears again soon.

Just now, LoraMaze said:

I heard Vengaboys everywhere I went this year, I was amazed they weren’t playing. I reckon they will next year…and they’ll draw a massive crowd

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Hoping to catch Tears for Fears again soon.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM.

A photographer I know had to take pics of them at a festival recently, had never heard of them and was horrified by the massive crowd they drew 🤣

He was like “what is this shit??” 

it’s nostalgic GOLD, that’s what it is 

1 minute ago, LoraMaze said:

A photographer I know had to take pics of them at a festival recently, had never heard of them and was horrified by the massive crowd they drew 🤣

He was like “what is this shit??” 

it’s nostalgic GOLD, that’s what it is 

THIS IS WHAT I WANNA DO

3 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Was actually surprised she wasn't there this year as I know she does festival performances, would be great fun in the evening

She played a few years ago at Avalon and it was ace!

To those asking for the Vengaboys, if you want crap 90s/2000s Dutch dance acts, there are about 30 summer "festivals" I can point you to in the Netherlands. 

39 minutes ago, Furq said:

Simple Minds are an odd one. Too big for a minor slot at Glastonbury, but not known enough by the kidz for a big one? Great musicianship these days, with none of the late-80s pomposity...

Surely they are just a 'Stranger Things' soundtrack appearance away from the big time again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I would love Erasure, but remember seeing them supporting Robbie Williams, and it was one of the more disappointing performances I've caught by an artist I truly love.

Willing to give them a second crack though.

I saw them about 7 years ago and they were fantastic. Have always advocated for them being on the farm. Would also like to see Annie Lennox, Alicia Keys and a personal one that I always hope for Tracy Chapman. 

I've seen them live a couple of times and it's been great. They were promoting new albums both times so the setlist did feature the usual smattering of new material - and Andy Bell does tend to witter a bit between songs.

But otherwise it could be a bangerfest of Pet Shop Boys - type proportions.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I saw them about 7 years ago and they were fantastic. Have always advocated for them being on the farm. Would also like to see Annie Lennox, Alicia Keys and a personal one that I always hope for Tracy Chapman. 

Chapman would be a hell of a get.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've seen them live a couple of times and it's been great. They were promoting new albums both times so the setlist did feature the usual smattering of new material - and Andy Bell does tend to witter a bit between songs.

But otherwise it could be a bangerfest of Pet Shop Boys - type proportions.

Must have either been stadium setup or just caught them on a bad night. Was meant to see them in May before they hooked the tour.

1 hour ago, Green Croc said:

Not strictly pop acts but in the similar ilk of the likes of Scouting for Girls and The Hoosiers I wouldn't turn my nose down at some more nostalgic noughties indie bands such as Pigeon Detectives and The Feeling.

Just Jack would also be a laugh

I think all the acts you mentioned (apart from Just Jack) were on the bill when I first went in 2008!

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Did you go to Shaggy?

No I missed him at glasto, saw a bit of him at the Isle of Wight on TV. Caught a bit of Sean Paul in the John Peel the other year which wasn't amazing TBH. 

Maybe I need to rethink my selections😁