Moving your crowd position mid-set

kalifire

If it's a rammed field then it's hardly worth it, although if it's one of the crowds where people have enough personal space to move around - in that case if some people leave or a hole opens up, of course I'll move into it, especially if it gives me a better view/more space to dance around.

Having said that, I'll try not to block anyone who is noticeably shorter than me who was already occupying the space behind that gap. If anything, I'll wait and see if they move forwards and go in behind them, or perhaps not move at all.

Generally, if you expect others to be considerate of you, you have to be considerate of others too.

NB - this all goes out the window if I need drinks/a piss, because once I'm out of the crowd for a busy/totally rammed set, there's next to no chance of getting back in without a lot of hassle and annoying a lot of people. Better to just enjoy from the side and wait for your friends to come out after the gig has finished.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:25 PM, Quark said:

I really can't put into words just how much it annoys me. It's way up there in my list of worst crowd behaviours.

Some people just have no spatial awareness or just plain couldn’t give a fuck. The amount of times I had to shield my son or have words with people barging through was annoying. I get he’s smaller than the adults, but not that small. 

Yes, It is absolutely fine to move position, get a better view, away from people that are making your experience not as great as it could be - walk, snake, dance away to wherever you please as long as you're considerate to your fellow festival goers.

And whilst we're at it, yes it is absolutely fine to leave a set after a couple of tracks, only stay for your favourite track or just show up for the finale - this year I only saw 2 full sets & 1 of them was in the Cabaret tent.

Moving back, sideways is fine. Moving to the front if there's space is fine. Moving to where there's no space is not.

You have to accept as well that you won't get a "BBC" view of the stage.

The one thing I don't like it when I have a tight spot with just enough gap between two people to catch a glimpse of the stage, and someone goes to stand right in front of me thinking "what a nice spot". The "I'm just walking around, just passing by, pushing through, OH what a perfect spot!" You should find a spot, not take it.

sometimes you just don't know if you are going to push through and find loads of space nearer the front, or if it's crowded everywhere.  If it's the latter you have to eventually stop somewhere, even if it's not ideal.  If everyone stops as soon as it starts getting busy then the space at the front will never get filled.

It's like that on a smaller scale at some gig venues,  like Bristol o2 everyone stops near the exit of the stairwells and looks well grumpy if you push past them, but then there's usually loads of space further forward.

59 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

Yes, It is absolutely fine to move position, get a better view, away from people that are making your experience not as great as it could be - walk, snake, dance away to wherever you please as long as you're considerate to your fellow festival goers.

And whilst we're at it, yes it is absolutely fine to leave a set after a couple of tracks, only stay for your favourite track or just show up for the finale - this year I only saw 2 full sets & 1 of them was in the Cabaret tent.

Dirty Lurker in real life too then...! 😀

I moved from next to the sound desk into the pit 2 songs into IDLES this year. Bit buzzed and really excited so definitely wasn't that careful about getting there and rushed in. I definitely bumped a few people, but was really apologetic. If I was on the receiving end of that and could clearly see the bumper was excited and going in to dance and give it some, there's no way I'd be annoyed. If anything it'd make me happy seeing someone so keen to get in. 

4 minutes ago, uscore said:

sometimes you just don't know if you are going to push through and find loads of space nearer the front, or if it's crowded everywhere.  If it's the latter you have to eventually stop somewhere, even if it's not ideal.  If everyone stops as soon as it starts getting busy then the space at the front will never get filled.

This! 

Sometimes despite your best efforts you end up stuck in front of someone. 🙁 

Happened to me at Adele in 2016 - moved through for ages trying to find space and it just got busier and busier. In the end was forced to stop, people behind me were really grumpy but just had nowhere else to go & working my way back out again would have pissed off even more people. 

Didn’t feel great about it at all. 😬

Based on that experience I think there’s an element of judging the moment & the gig. In retrospect I should have arrived earlier or stayed on the fringes rather than trying to find space. 

I find it baffling that this plays on people's mind. If someone squeezes by I will have forgotten within a second or two, even if they accidentally stand on my foot or something.

Unless someone is overly physical and incredibly rude in how they conduct themselves I really do not think anyone has any right to moan about this. You can have many reasons for needing to move through a crowd. You might need the toilet, you might feel unwell, you may have lost your friends, you may have disliked the behaviour of people around you where you were stood or you simply might just want a better atmosphere and can see there's space. 

It's a large event with over 200,000 attendees, it's to be expected.

But as always - do be polite and do try and be reasonable!

18 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Dirty Lurker in real life too then...! 😀

I moved from next to the sound desk into the pit 2 songs into IDLES this year. Bit buzzed and really excited so definitely wasn't that careful about getting there and rushed in. I definitely bumped a few people, but was really apologetic. If I was on the receiving end of that and could clearly see the bumper was excited and going in to dance and give it some, there's no way I'd be annoyed. If anything it'd make me happy seeing someone so keen to get in. 

Lurking here, lurking there, lurking everywhere 😆

Tbf I usually only move sideways or backwards, usually for more space to lurker dance 😁 occasionally to get away from assholes

2 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

I can tell you really live life in fast lane mate. 

Have you ever done something really wild like jump the queue for the portaloos? 

Yet another zinger from you! You’re on quite the roll 😂

2 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

I find it baffling that this plays on people's mind. If someone squeezes by I will have forgotten within a second or two, even if they accidentally stand on my foot or something.

Unless someone is overly physical and incredibly rude in how they conduct themselves I really do not think anyone has any right to moan about this. You can have many reasons for needing to move through a crowd. You might need the toilet, you might feel unwell, you may have lost your friends, you may have disliked the behaviour of people around you where you were stood or you simply might just want a better atmosphere and can see there's space. 

It's a large event with over 200,000 attendees, it's to be expected.

But as always - do be polite and do try and be reasonable!

Agreed, there are lots of princesses on here. I wonder how they would have coped before the super fence went up. There would be soiled underwear everywhere!

I encourage moving around during sets. Never stay somewhere if all you're thinking is 'oh god, please stop talking' the entire gig. Or if you can sense that the people might start a fight for fun (strange how often that happens?). However, I understand this is harder for tall people as they will be judged. I am only 5 foot so I'm less likely to annoy people by standing in front of them but if someone tall comes and stands in front of me, I'll often ask if i can go back in front of them 😅

All of the above is if you're further back in the crowd of course. I would never ever ever push in front of someone who has been waiting hours for that space. BAD FORM. 

44 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

All of the above is if you're further back in the crowd of course. I would never ever ever push in front of someone who has been waiting hours for that space. BAD FORM. 

Thing is, there is ALWAYS space at the front, it's mad how people go to stages a significant time before their favourite act, when they could just get through to the desired, prime position much closer to the start.

Me and my my bird tend to politely walk through the crowd until we are near the front, making sure to say 'excuse me' etc and 'sorry' each time you tread on someone's foot. Its a bit of a mission, but its worth it. You might get some dirty looks but as long as you just give a dirty look back, everyone will move out of your way. Just keep the momentum of walking going, move first then say sorry- jobs a good un.

There's no way I'm not getting close to the front for my favourite set, just because some over prepared, wet wipes thought of it first and wasted an hour of their time standing around being bored, with no bar or pissers nearby.  

As a none drinker of alcohol it's fairly apparent that those who ignorantly push through, usually without even noticing you, are pissed.

Contrast this with those on MDMA who will gently stroke your back until you acknowledge their presence. They will then apologetically and politely ask to be allowed past.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, prestonmike said:

I had to move during Foals this year,  i had a decent view...until about 3 or 4 songs in when a 6ft 5 fella came and decided to stand right in front of me, there should be a dedicated area for people over a certain height!

Do you actually believe that?

I am 6' 3" and went to see Rammstein last week. We'd got there fairly early and had a great spot near the front of the fire zone. I had to go toilet and bar, on my way back I stopped in a HUGE empty space to peer over and find the best route back through to my friend. 

Some angry lady behind me shouted, 'oi, you're not standing there are you, you're too tall.' I genuinely wanted to turn around and tell her to go fuck herself, I'll stand where I like, but instead, I said "No, don't worry, just looking for my friend"

I'm such a pussy... I mean there was literally enough space where I'd stopped for 15 people, she could have stepped forward and stood at the side of me, but no, she chose to be an arse instead, and I let her get away with it. I guess she was hoping that this particular space never filled up so that her short arse could stand back from the people in front and she could see over... Well it was tough anyway, within an hour you couldn't move anywhere in the front half of the fire zone... 

5 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

Thing is, there is ALWAYS space at the front, it's mad how people go to stages a significant time before their favourite act, when they could just get through to the desired, prime position much closer to the start.

Me and my my bird tend to politely walk through the crowd until we are near the front, making sure to say 'excuse me' etc and 'sorry' each time you tread on someone's foot. Its a bit of a mission, but its worth it. You might get some dirty looks but as long as you just give a dirty look back, everyone will move out of your way. Just keep the momentum of walking going, move first then say sorry- jobs a good un.

There's no way I'm not getting close to the front for my favourite set, just because some over prepared, wet wipes thought of it first and wasted an hour of their time standing around being bored, with no bar or pissers nearby.  

A little off topic here, but what breed is your bird?

• Upvote 1