Moving your crowd position mid-set

kalifire

Is it acceptable? Have you done it?

On one hand, I loathe being pushed into and stood in front of once the set has started and I'm happy with my position.

On the other, what if you're in a part of the crowd that's just not into it much and you want to be surrounded by more enthusiastic people?

• Upvote 1

It's fine. Festivals in particular are so fluid, and as we all know there can be considerable space in the crowd once you get past the often densely-packed spaces at the back.

General rules apply - don't be a dick and be a considerate punter. If someone moves to let you through, that gap is not then somewhere for you to stand. Don't squeeze into spots that aren't there. Be aware of who is now behind you and try not to ruin it for them.

And the absolute, number one, top priority rule for me. If you're in a group of friends, don't try to work your way through the crowd while holding each other's hands and forming a daisy chain. You're not fucking toddlers on a school outing. And especially don't do it at pace. Yes I'm looking at you groups of young ladies with plastic flower wreaths in your hair.

• Like 3

It's fine to move position but if you are over a foot taller than someone who previously had a really decent spot and could see the stage for once I think it's poor form to stand in front of them. Like in most instance a little bit of awareness and not being a dick go a long way. 

• Upvote 1

I'd never moved due to people chatting until the avalanches at the park. this woman was horrendous - none of her group even wanted to talk to her it seemed and they were all enjoying the set! had to move as it was ruining the set and just so frustrating!

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you're in a group of friends, don't try to work your way through the crowd while holding each other's hands and forming a daisy chain. You're not fucking toddlers on a school outing. And especially don't do it at pace. 

Largest daisy chain we counted was ~20 at Macca.  Brought back memories of snake on the old Nokias...

37 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Largest daisy chain we counted was ~20 at Macca.  Brought back memories of snake on the old Nokias...

I really can't put into words just how much it annoys me. It's way up there in my list of worst crowd behaviours.

Edited by Quark

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's fine. Festivals in particular are so fluid, and as we all know there can be considerable space in the crowd once you get past the often densely-packed spaces at the back.

General rules apply - don't be a dick and be a considerate punter. If someone moves to let you through, that gap is not then somewhere for you to stand. Don't squeeze into spots that aren't there. Be aware of who is now behind you and try not to ruin it for them.

And the absolute, number one, top priority rule for me. If you're in a group of friends, don't try to work your way through the crowd while holding each other's hands and forming a daisy chain. You're not fucking toddlers on a school outing. And especially don't do it at pace. Yes I'm looking at you groups of young ladies with plastic flower wreaths in your hair.

Nailed it.

No issue with it if people are respectful. A quick, sorry, do you mind, thanks etc. People need food, toilets, more room or off to another set, and equally want to come back to their group. It's the people who just barge past without even glancing your way that hack me off

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bring an airhorn and let it off behind the heads of any dozy fuckers who won't shift ass.

I just stand uncomfortably close to their left shoulder and cough wetly on their neck. I find I get space.

5 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I just stand uncomfortably close to their left shoulder and cough wetly on their neck. I find I get space.

And there was me pissed off I hadn't managed to meet you this year, turns out you were right behind me!

12 hours ago, Quark said:

And there was me pissed off I hadn't managed to meet you this year, turns out you were right behind me!

Moved around a lot during Radiohead in 2017 - and that was pretty fluid and easy. Having been stuck in a single position for headliners the year prior, the chance to roll around seemed to good to pass up.