Time to change the deposit scheme?

ProperTea

12 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

We all put £100 each (deposit plus coach ticket price) into a nominated account which gets put back to the individuals if we don’t get tickets.

Luckily we are a long standing group of friends who’ve known each other over 20 years so trust isn’t really an issue for us. 

Same here, but not all groups would want to do this and the festival can't really encourage it as standard procedure in my opinion - if peoples so called friend's nicked their £600 then people would get annoyed at the festival

11 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Very little of that would end up in the festival's pockets though. The festival would be putting up the money to pay for a system that food vendors and bars would reap the profits from.

They could then charge more money for stall pitches etc. Maybe its not too much in the grand scheme of 200k people on site but its something and theres no good reason not to

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Because life happens and if youre shit out of luck at the beginning of June and cant make the festival then getting your money back is at least something. And at that late stage somebody is very much willing to pay the barely minimum premium of an extra 25 to get a ticket to the supposed best festival in the history of the universe. Youre totally not factoring in how people would value the event themselves anyway. Like I said, if resale could actually be a thing for Glasto you would see really high prices and really low ones. Let the markets decide what its worth. This thread is about discussing all scenarios, whether theyre about giving more people a chance or to selfishly  not which seems to be how its kind of leaning. There arent really any right or wrong answers because we do not make up the ticket buying rules that have been adhered to for quite a while.

Re: paying all in one shot on T day. That only works if you got a poster to go with it, or at the very least all 3 headliners and the legend. Since the Eavii like to drag their feet on booking the top names despite every year there being a blurb about them having the following year already sorted, its a tough spot. I certainly would be interested in seeing how that played out if they made you pay it all at once. Getting ''priced out'' is going to happen in its own natural way at thsi stage. Let it cross the 300 mark and then slowly tick up to 350 and then its going to be seen as an even bigger elitist festival full of rich scousers.

If we're really gonna talk about bad prices. Then look no further than the 2023 pricing chart for Coachella. Lets have Glasto charge all this and see what happens. So yeah, maybe count your lucky stars its barely at 300.

9tNNTxpBZQwAjSk9OujPr1iaX2o7qyDcgITOVHHq.jpg

we get it, you go to coachella. nobody is complaining about the price, we all know its worth the money just given the economic situation in the UK - record inflation for 40 years and stagnant wages - we're having a discussion to keep the festival as inclusive as possible.

16 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

I think my group would be fine with paying it in full up front however we are all in our 30s with solid incomes. It would be unfair for the youth to require a bank balance with like £2k free funds in (I wouldn't have had this at 18) and would likely price them out. Not sure the crowd would be too great if it used this model

I think an increase to £100 deposit would be reasonable with £50 returned if you decide you don't want to go as it may put off those with a passing interest in the festival

Why would each of the 18 year olds need 2k in your bank account though? Your friends would transfer the money. That's what I did when I was 18. I sent the money to someone else and they went through with the transaction.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Why would each of the 18 year olds need 2k in your bank account though? Your friends would transfer the money. That's what I did when I was 18. I sent the money to someone else and they went through with the transaction.

Easy as anything these days - all load up a revolut single use card, share the details, whoever gets in first pays. 

2 hours ago, Sky_Fly said:

Glasto is such a non-essential. It’s a five-day mega holiday. If you have ‘mouths to feed’ and paying for your glasto ticket would mean you can’t make rent/food payments the I’d seriously question your priorities.  Going to a field for 5 days to listen to music is hugely selfish if your family is going hungry. A payment plan isn’t going to help that, the money is still gone. 

Yeah, exactly. If it's the difference between paying your leccy or gas bill, and going to Glastonbury, there's really no contest.

12 hours ago, charlie.light said:

So I’m coming from the angle purely that it would price a lot of people out so would lover demand. Also how many organised groups of ticket buyers will all have £1800 disposable sat in their bank accounts to get tickets for 6 people, that’s £10,800 they would have to have altogether in case one gets in. 

I did say it was controversial, im not saying it’s the right way just a different take 

its not that its controversial, its just not fairer at all, its a little bit snipping the bottom of the ladder so people cant climb it. Pricing people out to lower demand is a fiscal decision, but not even this current tory party would paint it as fairer. 

(besides anything else, i volunteer so it absolutely doesnt effect me, other than i leave a bigger deposit in feb when i secure my place, and then get it back later in the year!) 

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

Same here, but not all groups would want to do this and the festival can't really encourage it as standard procedure in my opinion - if peoples so called friend's nicked their £600 then people would get annoyed at the festival

If people have trust issues with their friends over 100 pounds, I would question why they're going to a music festival with these people in the first place. Even at 18, I trusted my friends 100% that they wouldn't run off with a measly 100 quid from each other person. It's not like they're gonna get very far on that.

27 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

I think an increase to £100 deposit would be reasonable with £50 returned if you decide you don't want to go as it may put off those with a passing interest in the festival

I think this is probably the best solution for stopping people hoovering up tickets and not really losing anything on it.

Make the deposit higher, make the loss higher. You either really want to go with the means to do so, or you don't.

7 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Easy as anything these days - all load up a revolut single use card, share the details, whoever gets in first pays. 

Yep basically what we do this. Better to use a non single used but just virtual one though as then if you have two people through its easier to help another group !

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

If people have trust issues with their friends over 100 pounds, I would question why they're going to a music festival with these people in the first place. Even at 18, I trusted my friends 100% that they wouldn't run off with a measly 100 quid from each other person. It's not like they're gonna get very far on that.

I completely agree, my point is that the festival can't encourage that people do this. Sharing a bank account surely cannot be encouraged by the festival - e.g. some may use a credit card and then could end up with debt issues

25 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The point wasn't about trust issues - it's about potential trust betrayal.

By definition, nobody thinks that the person who betrays their trust is going to do so.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Encourage that people do this. Sharing a bank account surely cannot be encouraged by the festival - e.g. some may use a credit card and then could end up with debt issues

They don't need to encourage it though. In fact they can openly tell people not to do it, and encourage them to either have just one person whose bank account it is try for tickets, or for everyone to try individually for their own tickets (or in smaller groups of 2 or such).

Having a group of six with everyone trying isn't required, it's just emergent behaviour from people trying to maximise the chance of getting tickets.

Edited by DeanoL

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

They don't need to encourage it though. In fact they can openly tell people not to do it, and encourage them to either have just one person whose bank account it is try for tickets, or for everyone to try individually for their own tickets (or in smaller groups of 2 or such).

Having a group of six with everyone trying isn't required, it's just emergent behaviour from people trying to maximise the chance of getting tickets.

Good point - telling people not to do it in turn makes more people do it that hadn't thought of it already.

Should just do what Tui do...

Pay a deposit

Have a deadline for it all to be paid

And in the meantime, allow as many or as few payments as the individual can afford. As long as the balance is cleared by x date. 

Want to pay a tenner this week, go ahead, want to pay £100 of next week, fine, bit skint over christmas, no problem... Just make sure the balance is cleared by the due date. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Bit off topic, but with ticket purchasing seemingly being a lottery, how do people manage to keep coming back year after year?

I don't have this issue as I get an email every Jan asking if I want to work this year.

Any one individual sale has elements of a lottery for sure - but with any lottery it's possible to guarantee you win if you have every possible set of numbers. While that's not quite realistic to achieve, you can cover yourself as much as possible by maximising your chances (more people trying, efficient use of resource), across up to 4 different sales - and if you're that set on going, to have volunteering as a backup option.

Edited by incident

6 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Pay a deposit

And in the meantime, allow as many or as few payments as the individual can afford. As long as the balance is cleared by x date. 

Want to pay a tenner this week, go ahead, want to pay £100 of next week, fine, bit skint over christmas, no problem... Just make sure the balance is cleared by the due date. 

Me and my girlfriend booked a holiday to NYC with British Airways at the end of last year that cost around £2k for us both...we paid a £350 deposit and then could both go into the account and pay off anything from £1 to all of it as long as it was done by a certain date. 

Worked great for us. 

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Me and my girlfriend booked a holiday to NYC with British Airways at the end of last year that cost around £2k for us both...we paid a £350 deposit and then could both go into the account and pay off anything from £1 to all of it as long as it was done by a certain date. 

Worked great for us. 

Yes, exactly that sort of thing.

We've booked to travel to Florida with Tui this Sept, and it's really helped us to manage the holiday finances. All paid up now, and it felt much more painless than any set plan, or paying all at once, would have been. 

There are a lot of families attending Glasto, and it can be a big commitment for almost anybody. Our own tickets next year will most likely cost us £1200, as the 18 and 19 year old Son and Daughter are insisting on joining us. (much to our delight!) And that's definitely no drop in the ocean!!!

20 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Pay a deposit

Might be wrong but if someone pays £10 a week there would be a lot more in processing fees than say just 2 big payments. Allowing people to pay off their ticket at any point or allowing say 3-5 smaller payments at any point would be great though - would help them too as a fair amount of people would probably just pay it off straight away, something that could even mean the deposit doesn't need to be raised as they'd get more initial cashflow for deposits on equipment/artist upfront fees/wages or whatever they use the deposits for.

Edited by gfa

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Our own tickets next year will most likely cost us £1200, as the 18 and 19 year old Son and Daughter are insisting on joining us. (much to our delight!) And that's definitely no drop in the ocean!!!

And probably at least double that with spending during the event.

Got no idea how most people afford it. I've got virtually no expenses; free ticket, lots of free food and I don't drink alcohol.

No wonder the demographic has been changing over the years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Might be wrong but if someone pays £10 a week there would be a lot more in processing fees than say just 2 big payments

No not at all, unless they're signed up to a ridiculous handling contract. For at least 10 years now all of our card handling contracts and fees have been percentage based... We don't pay a set fee at all. And I don't know anybody that does these days. 

This all changed around the time of contactless appearing, hence you no longer find minimum transaction amounts for card.  

2 hours ago, incident said:

The point wasn't about trust issues - it's about potential trust betrayal.

By definition, nobody thinks that the person who betrays their trust is going to do so.

Well yeah, in philosophy-101, I guess that's true, but if ppl lived by that mantra in real life, nobody would ever trust anybody and nothing would be done cooperatively, ever.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

14 hours ago, charlie.light said:

So I’m coming from the angle purely that it would price a lot of people out so would lover demand. Also how many organised groups of ticket buyers will all have £1800 disposable sat in their bank accounts to get tickets for 6 people, that’s £10,800 they would have to have altogether in case one gets in. 

I did say it was controversial, im not saying it’s the right way just a different take 

They could just use a credit card

18 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Yes, exactly that sort of thing.

We've booked to travel to Florida with Tui this Sept, and it's really helped us to manage the holiday finances. All paid up now, and it felt much more painless than any set plan, or paying all at once, would have been. 

There are a lot of families attending Glasto, and it can be a big commitment for almost anybody. Our own tickets next year will most likely cost us £1200, as the 18 and 19 year old Son and Daughter are insisting on joining us. (much to our delight!) And that's definitely no drop in the ocean!!!

Yeh I quite like it like that....some months I have more money than others so I just throw more in that month to pay it off.

I would suggest at 18 & 19 they could contribute towards their own ticket....I paid for my first festival (Reading in 1999) with my wages from my Saturday job....in fact the only thing my mother helped with was taking me to and from the local train station. 🙂 

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Yeh I quite like it like that....some months I have more money than others so I just throw more in that month to pay it off.

I would suggest at 18 & 19 they could contribute towards their own ticket....I paid for my first festival (Reading in 1999) with my wages from my Saturday job....in fact the only thing my mother helped with was taking me to and from the local train station. 🙂 

They would probably contribute if we asked, they both work, but they work for us at our pub. (Bit of a family run affair, thankfully in the current climate!) So this is our treat. (They did an incredible job of running the pub for us this year whilst we had our fun at Glasto!)

They will certainly be buying their own food and drink etc. For one thing, I don't think they'll want to spend all of their time with us. 🙈😂

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Bit off topic, but with ticket purchasing seemingly being a lottery, how do people manage to keep coming back year after year?

I don't have this issue as I get an email every Jan asking if I want to work this year.

Computers can do a lot of amazing things, like get past the queue and buy your ticket within a minute of the onsale. You can even pay for that sort of thing. Also theres breakdowns of how this system even works and how you can more or less just hack your way through.